Dungeons and Dragons online stress test

So you're telling me that someone has finally been able to fully represent D&D rules into a MMO environment without kludging the design or numbing it down into the mindless crap that comprises 99% of MMOGs?

I think not. The comparison arises due to BioWare doing MMO quality work for single-player games. It's also rather nice for the assholes at Turdine to make a half-ass expansion pack for AC2 to con a few more people out from their money, and then cancel the game a bit later because the game isn't making the money they want due to nobody wanting to put effort into it.

They will all be getting coal shoved up their chimneys for X-Mas this year!

Kan-Kerai said:

Ugh. The same vacuous "we see where everywhere else has mistakes or problems, but we won't have them!" without actually describing anything that is spawned around every feature-whored piece of garbage.

I particularly liked this inbecilic non-answer:

How does combat work in Dungeons & Dragons Online?
We’re making a clean break from the “press auto-attack and wait” style of combat that has become so prevalent in today’s MMORPGs. Our real-time combat system is designed to be fast and responsive, while still requiring tactical, coordinated decisions from adventuring parties.

Great way to answer exactly nothing.

Aside from that, I have to ask:

Oh, really? So now you're going away from the game being based upon the character's stats in favor of action gameplay? So much for the claim in the FAQ for keeping towards the ruleset as much as possible. Oh, except for "changes where necessary", which we've seen a spectacularly inbred job of BioWare managing to fuck it up over their number of games, with each release, and these idiots think that they can do better at the impossible task of converting a P&P ruleset to "MMO standards" and then add in action-based combat.

I'd compare the combat to Diablo, since you click to hit, but you don't always do. Meh. If I played a MMORPG I'd probably choose this one.

I especially love their method to make "Roguish characters" useful in DDO: put traps and locks on anything and everything.

Oh well, at least they didn't say "Combining the best of (insert classic games) for a unique, new experience!" anywhere. +1 point to rail, alone and unloved, against the inexorable tide of negatives.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty crap game, but it still beats all the others out there. And I think there are sneaking elements. Haven't played with my rogue enough to see, though.

Back