Dunwich building (Spoilers)

golfmade

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Made my way completely through the building and had some fun but came out with more questions then going in.

First the positives: Very suspenseful, ghouls are frightening but I found it was easy to one shot them using my laser pistol and sneak crit shooting them.

The flashback (while only a split second) was interesting, expected more but only had one.

The Glowing One really did glow spectacularly and was a bastard to take down.

Now my questions:

I picked up 8 different audio tapes from a man named Jaime, not sure how many there are total but I missed tape number 8, did get 1-7 and 9. He made reference to a book that his father had but I never found the book, where is it?

Down in the basement I found Jaime and several more ghouls, dispatched them and saw some sort of obelisk with a female statute on it, what is this for, and does it reference anything, or is it an easter egg from a previous Bethesda game?

Was the Virulent Under Chambers supposed to have more information, as there was little of interest in this area besides down in the basement with Jaime and his crew of ghouls.

Now surveying the horizon pondering which direction to head to next, but glitches and minor annoyances aside, glad to see the light of day after dealing with so many ghouls in a deep dark building.

Have not been here yet where is the building?

Also H.P. Lovecraft easter egg or just coincidence? If the former Bethesda is awesome and this game is getting even greater :)

The area was a reference to Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror", a horror novel of the early 20th century that gave us the Necronomicon, an evil book that drives its' readers insane (which in turn inspired the Sam Raimi "Evil Dead" series of films).

I enjoyed the reference, and the ammo caches, while hating the 50 mph ghouls that skittered around like cheetahs on speed (one of them even had Jet on it, I lol'd). Seriously, while I hate fps games generally, I feel bad for anyone trying to play this game fps against those "zombies".

Also, there is a nice reward at the end of it: [spoiler:d91036d708]a Bobblehead: melee skill[/spoiler:d91036d708] , but I cannot find the damn evil book anywhere... anyone find it?

I didn't find any book, the only "evil" thing about it was the obelisk in the caves underneath

also I didn't find any journals numbered below 7, did I just miss them or is it supposed to be that way?

mrblonde2000 said:
Have not been here yet where is the building?

Also H.P. Lovecraft easter egg or just coincidence? If the former Bethesda is awesome and this game is getting even greater :)

It's in the very SW of the world map, is a dark grey/black building, very tall but there's really nothing else around it.

deadsanta said:
The area was a reference to Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror", a horror novel of the early 20th century that gave us the Necronomicon, an evil book that drives its' readers insane (which in turn inspired the Sam Raimi "Evil Dead" series of films).

I enjoyed the reference, and the ammo caches, while hating the 50 mph ghouls that skittered around like cheetahs on speed (one of them even had Jet on it, I lol'd). Seriously, while I hate fps games generally, I feel bad for anyone trying to play this game fps against those "zombies".

Also, there is a nice reward at the end of it: [spoiler:7ad0bc2c6b]a Bobblehead: melee skill[/spoiler:7ad0bc2c6b] , but I cannot find the damn evil book anywhere... anyone find it?

Thanks for the info. Have never read of Lovercraft's work so I had no clue what the entire building was in refference to but still had fun.

As for the ammo caches yeah the one on the first floor with the overturned table is interesting. As for the ghouls, that was my first run in with them in the game and agreed, I hate it. Even more so that it's so damn easy to dispose of them with a crit shot from an energy pistol.

The reward is nice yes, but I'm starting to think there is no book anywhere.

oihrebwe said:
I didn't find any book, the only "evil" thing about it was the obelisk in the caves underneath

also I didn't find any journals numbered below 7, did I just miss them or is it supposed to be that way?

[spoiler:7ad0bc2c6b]
The first 6 are right to the left when you first enter the building, in the little waiting area with the Nuka Cola machine. They are on a table all laid out (quite boring, would be more interesting IMO to give you one or two there and then have to hunt down more rather than giving you the majority right up front.[/spoiler:7ad0bc2c6b]

oihrebwe said:

1-5 are located on a coffee table on your left as you walk in the place. #6 is upstairs on a table iirc, just look for something lighted by a random working lightbulb or computer screen and chances are that's it.

I liked the suspense of the storyline, and then inexplicably, it just ends with shooting Jaime. No book, no option to destroy the altar, or worship at it, or whatever. This game is just bumming me out with all the wasted potential, and it's even more infuriating because they obviously spent days doing that building design, getting a voice actor for the 3 minutes of dialogue, and so on.

How hard would it have been to script a decent ending?

if you look at the area map while you are in the basement, you can see that the area extends past the boulder, but I can't figure out how to get past the boulder.

I've tried:
  • 1 - shooting the boulder with missiles
    2 -s hooting the obelisk with missiles
    3 - stabbing the boulder and obelisk (the final tape says something about 'sharp knife to open chamber')
    4 - placing a knife on the obelisk 'ledges'
    5 - placing skulls on the obelisk ledges
    6 - playing the final recording in the chamber (final tape says something about 'my voice to bring him back')
    7 - placing a body on the ledges (keep falling off though :( )

has anyone else figured this out, or is it a dead end?

(extra tags: virulent underchamber )[/list]

deadparrot said:
if you look at the area map while you are in the basement, you can see that the area extends past the boulder, but I can't figure out how to get past the boulder.

I've tried:
  • 1 - shooting the boulder with missiles
    2 -s hooting the obelisk with missiles
    3 - stabbing the boulder and obelisk (the final tape says something about 'sharp knife to open chamber')
    4 - placing a knife on the obelisk 'ledges'
    5 - placing skulls on the obelisk ledges
    6 - playing the final recording in the chamber (final tape says something about 'my voice to bring him back')
    7 - placing a body on the ledges (keep falling off though :( )

(extra tags: virulent underchamber )[/list]

It's frustrating, isn't it? You do all the requisite RPG stuff to try and make something happen, but the game is a shooter at heart, so you just headshot that ghoul and keep goin, bro.

the alternative would be "look at bethesda raping old rpg cliché's, like that's how it's done!"

broken record.

deadparrot said:

I've tried:
  • 3 - stabbing the boulder and obelisk (the final tape says something about 'sharp knife to open chamber')

AS the dude become a ghoul/ goes crazy, he is referring to himself in the third person as "Sharpknife".

It would have been nice if there had been a book, a final tape, something. Though the Chinese Assault Rifle was nice, I was low level at the time.

Well why not enable noclip & go see behind the boulder if there is anything?

Open console & type TCL, close console. Repeat to torn it off again.

I haven't found the spot yet, but had a similar experience in the area. I met some "uncle blabla", a wandering friendly supermutant, who decided to leave his pack.
I could just talk to him, then he moved on. No hint as what to do with him.

Back