Fallout 1 and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Fallout RPG Gameplay & Tech' started by Spazmo, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Spazmo

Spazmo First time out of the vault

Apr 5, 2003
    Wait a minute--I'm not asking for help here. I know that most people can't install FO1 on XP and thus need to manually copy the .DATs in order to play.

But I don't. Just the other day, I installed FO1 from the CD on my Win XP machine, humungous install, with no trouble whatsoever. The autorun ran fine, too. So does anyone have any idea why it might work for me and not for most others?

2. axelgreese

axelgreese It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 2, 2003
    That's the way it works on my machine.

3. OsirisGod

OsirisGod First time out of the vault

Apr 2, 2003
    Worked for me to for FO1 and FO2 ... never got wtf are they talking about ...

4. Spazmo

Spazmo First time out of the vault

Apr 5, 2003
    Just as I though. They're the freaks.

5. Miroslav

Miroslav Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Sep 30, 1997
    that's the way it worked with me... then it just stopped responding one day. I went into properties, enabled Compatibility mode, placed that select box on Windows 2000 and it worked fine...

6. Leonine

Leonine First time out of the vault

May 2, 2003
    If you choose 98 or 95 in combatiblity mode youll have no probs whatsoever :)

7. The Dark Follower

The Dark Follower Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 16, 2003
    Hey,

Well Fallout 1 works perfectly fine but my illegal copied Fallout 2 doesn't but that one does work one my other pc so problem solved ;)

Grtz, Fire Sprite

8. -=AEX=-

-=AEX=- First time out of the vault

Jun 8, 2003
    :shock: What are you MONKEYS talking about ?!

FO1 does not work with my comp with win xp! What did you guys do differently?I am NOT a FREAK! Im just a dude with a problem.
    "sorry this version of windows is not supported by this product" is what i always get.... any ideas? Thanx in advance. ill calm down now. :?

9. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
  10. Wild Thing

Wild Thing First time out of the vault

Jul 4, 2003
    Fallout 1 ran perfect on my Pc (that has XP)...But when i tried fallout 2 i got a "you need more space" message...But i temporarily solved this by changing the compability to Windows NT 4. But when i tried to start the game up today, i got the message again! And now it doesn`t seem to matter if i change the compability...

11. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
    Change the compatibility to W95. Reboot your computer. Load FO2 again. If it doesn`t work the first time reboot again, and load it again.

12. Wild Thing

Wild Thing First time out of the vault

Jul 4, 2003
    no need to do that...I downloaded a patch to fix it...(its no special patch, it`s one i found here on NMA)

13. Kindo

Kindo Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 26, 2003
    Yeah I did it myself just now. Just enable compatability mode for an older OS. Like 95 or 98. Works like a charm.

14. lousybug

lousybug First time out of the vault

Jul 26, 2003
    fallout1 + winXP install

Hi!

I've never been able to install fallout 1 the way stated in the descriptions in the internet (the game just exited after showing the loading screen a view sec).
    So i tryed to start the setup itselfes in compatibility mode (win95) and :D --> normal setup and game works fine.

maybe helpful for somebody.