Fallout 1 Archeology: Preview and Concept Art Goodies!

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tagaziel, May 24, 2009.

1. Radwaster

Radwaster It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 1, 2009
    That is so perfect it hurts, yossa. :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    Spectacular! Thank you so much for posting that!

3. terebikun

terebikun Still Mildly Glowing

May 16, 2008
    Wow, concept artists have come a long way since then. Those faces are pretty hard to look at.

4. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    No, I think they are quite charming.

5. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Huh? You think regular concept art nowadays looks better than that? Guess again. It's just that what we get to see is more polished, filtered by PR "concept art", which would more closely be identified as promotional art. Not the same thing by a long shot.

6. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

May 18, 2003
    Uh. Well, actually, it usually does. Maybe not initial sketches, or in-development quick reference material to clear out a particular section of a subject to a modeller, but generally speaking, yes, concept art nowadays is more elaborate than the faces sketch/power armor sketch.

The original F1 concept art for the GUI and the Vats and Control Room is pretty much at the same level.

7. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    The power armor sketch is terrible.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure these are initial/quick sketches. And that hasn't changed. Stuff like this is still stuff like this. And yes, stuff like this is still stuff like this. But I think people (in general) are getting a bit too used to looking at carefully filtered PR-material concept art to have a clear picture of what concept art entails.

8. mountaingoat

mountaingoat First time out of the vault

Oct 30, 2008
    Woot!!
    You’re assuming concept artists of today are more talented than they were ten years ago? Then in the same logic Walt Disney’s concept artists were horrible.
    Time is not a measure of a skilled hand.

Apart from the PA sketch that looks a lot like a Marvel Comic hero, all the other sketches and especially the Pip-Boy 2000, are early start ideas, put on paper.

9. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Actualy not.

When you take a look to one of the many sketch books of Luis Royo for example [ Conceptions I;II and III ] one will notice that some of it have even a more simple quality then those seen in this thread. And still Royo is capable of making art in the quality of things like that

http://www.geocities.com/topazskye/pink_cadillac.jpg

One should really not judge sketches and concepts as "mistake" or "crude art". They allow someone to give a slight view in the imagination of the artist and that is much worth. Not many good artists (sadly) show their sketches and many artists even almost destroy all of them after some time as they fear people to see them and what they might think and say. But sketches are much worth and have a great value, particularly when you want to learn something as a begining artist. Everyone can look to a finished picture just as one can look to a completed car, but he can learn more from it during the construction.

I doubt it. I seen to many sketches about projects from pretty succesfull artists with a very simple look (to describe it that way) to say that things have changed compared to the last 10 or 15 years. Things might be with computers and different tools a lot easier and what we see is more "clear" sketches that way. But a pencil sketch is a pencil sketch.

Is the this the "quality" one would usualy expect from Warhammer art ?

10. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Wow, those faces are really well done. Better than anything Bethesda did for F3.

11. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
  12. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Not to mention that this is concept for Fallout, an isometric RPG, not a first person shooter whose only feature is that you can see every single spot on the lead character's ass.

13. Wooz

May 18, 2003
    That's great, but nowadays, you don't build a character for a major game with only a pencil sketch.

And those two drawings look like they were made by a 14 year old on DeviantArt, not by a goddamn professional.

14. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Fallout was not really a "major game".

15. Wooz

May 18, 2003
    Fallout was not really made "nowadays".

16. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    you think ? And why can one still get a lot of crude "pencil" sketches in google by just simply typing "sketch" or "concept" art for game xy, even block buster titles, like Star Craft 1/2, Unreal 1/2/3. What you might forget is that a pencil allows you something no electrical tool can provide. It works always and everywhere (as long you have a piece of paper and rubber). You can work with it when you travel around, you can use it to throw something on paper that just right now poped in your mind. Most artists that work with a tablet make a sketch on paper to scan it and work with that concept in either photoshop, corel or any other prefered program. Its just a lot less time consuming to throw something on paper which is finished in 5 min eventualy then to spend alone 5 min. to turn the PC on and load all programms. That doesnt mean it ends with the pencil. Its just a tool, like the PC itself. But even extremly talented 3D artist that I know (and work succesfully as freelancer) use many times a paper and pencil in the begining to get their vision done.

Without the intention to insult you personaly, but now thats really offensive toward the artist and pretty silly. It has a reason why its called a "sketch" and not "clean finished artwork". I would have been surprised if that was even ever meant to be shown to the public and I am actualy surprised that it even made in someones colection. what kind of level quality it has is anyway subjective as all kind of art. Sketches have usualy only one purpose, to get something on paper fast so you dont forget it, it has not to look good, it has tu suport your mind later when you make a either better version of it or use better tools. As said, some of Royos sketches look as well like drawn by a child, but does it mean its bad quality? I dont think so. You have to start somewhere.

I have no clue if that guy really worked as concept artist for the Matrix MMORG but he at least says it :
    http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295

Many times games and movies start somewhere with crude pencil sketches, so with almost all Alien movies (where many used short comic strips to make a scene as well called storyboards), Blizzards MMORG World of Warcraft which has a lot of good pencil sketches around and a lot of other games and movies including the Matrix for example.

This stuff from WoW looks alot like just a sketch on a piece of paper to me:

17. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Actually, it *was* shown to the public. The scans of the concepts are from an old Polish magazine.

18. patriot_41

patriot_41 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 8, 2008
    No, they actually don't. Nowadays it takes less than 5 minutes to turn the PC on and it's far easier to use the tablet right away. Sketching, scanning, cropping, cleaning up the mess . . . it takes too much time.
    I myself would prefer the pencil over the tablet any day, but most pros I know haven't used a pencil in years. It's the 'undo' command that does it.

About the sketches - everyone starts off with a crude sketch, no matter what Wooz claims about conceptart being elaborate. The final product may be licked and polished, but the initial stage of conveying the idea from your head to the paper/monitor requires you to act quick before it leaves you. So the reuslt is an ugly mess which only you can understand or something childlishly simple. Most of these sketches are never shown, tho, because they really shouldn't be. People draw the wrong conclusions from them, like Wooz did.

19. Wooz

May 18, 2003
    Difference being, Wooz finished a fucking fine arts academy and earns a goddamn living by drawing stuff for computer games?Wooz knows what the fuck he's talking about. Wooz thinks this discussion has reached a new level of absurdity, what with all the lecturing him on what a sketch is and how to use a pencil in commercial work.

Jeez.

EDIT:

Also, yes, a sketch is a sketch, but some quick pencil sketches are absolutely frickin' amazing

Wrongconclusionsmrmmbllgmblmumblegrmbl.