Fallout 1 map oddities

Golbolco

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I've been examining the Fallout 1 map and have a couple questions about it, I'm wondering if any NMA members might have answers or could otherwise point me in the right direction.

1. It's been said that Vault 15 is approximately in the same area as Nellis AFB in real life. Does that make the city ruins 4 squares south, 1 square east Las Vegas?
  2. I'm curious as to where people might pin some of the cut locations, namely the Vipers, the Burrows, and Irvine. We can go off of Irvine's real location which looks like it's around 3 squares east of the Cathedral, but would Interplay have put it there? They did shuffle Bakersfield far from its real life location, after all. There's a small city ruin 4 squares north, 1 square east of Junktown (Killian says the Vipers live to the north) that could be the location of the Vipers. Also, about 2 squares north, 1 square east of the Glow is what looks like some kind of village graphic; interesting, because I believe it was stated that the Burrows was northeast of the Glow. Is there any info in the game's data marking where these places belong on the map?
  3. Some sources say that the Hub is based off of Barstow, but if so why isn't Necropolis flipped with the Hub? Necropolis is right where Barstow would be.
  4. Is the Fallout 1 map to scale with the Fallout 2 map? Obviously the northern line from Mariposa to Vault 15 has been shrunken down, but am I wrong in saying that the coast line appears to (mostly) line up?

The map for reference:
latest

It's been said that Vault 15 is approximately in the same area as Nellis AFB in real life. Does that make the city ruins 4 squares south, 1 square east Las Vegas?

By who?

Some sources say that the Hub is based off of Barstow, but if so why isn't Necropolis flipped with the Hub? Necropolis is right where Barstow would be.

I believe they shuffled things around for gameplay purposes, leading to inaccuracy.

In my experience, the Fallout wikis don't. I don't use them much unless I'm looking for an old design doc, personally.

Nope, but it's a fair guess though that Fo/Fo2 locations were moved around for gameplay purposes. All I can find are forum posts, no particular source for it. I guess that'd be a question to ask if I ever meet one of the devs.

Back