Fallout 3 and XP 64 bit

tattooed_pariah

First time out of the vault
I'm running XP Pro 64-bit edition and so far it's been a giant headache, but I haven't gotten my hands on a XP pro 32-bit disc yet.

Before I installed the FO3 1.1 patch tonight, I could play the game and it looked and ran fine, well, ran fine if you ignore it randomly crashing and dropping me back in windows at sporadic intervals.. I used those crashes as signs to go outside and get away from the computer..

Anyway, now that I've installed the patch, FO3 won't even load anymore.
I get the following error message:

The ordinal 5360 could not be located in the dynamic link library xlive.dll

wtf is that? I don't even use live. is there a fix for this or do I have to reinstall FO3 to use the previous version?

thanks!

I'm not entirely positive, but from the error message it seems like there's something wrong with your Live. Possibly, try reinstalling GfWL and see if it helps.

Back up your saves and reinstall. ATM Beth the old hag is not testing for 64bit and I and many others are having this issue with patches.

Sorry I never followed up on this... Since trying to fix this issue, I have crippled my XP boot and have not yet been able to get back into Windows. Now I am running Ubuntu and sadly just looking at my FO3 and Bioshock discs..

The steps I took were to uninstall and reinstall FO3 (checking the box that said do NOT delete profiles and saves). After doing that the entire directory was gone, leading me to believe I just lost my save files..

I did this in the hopes of Live being installed with FO3 when I reinstalled it. This was not the case as I received the same error.

So next I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Live specifically. This failed miserably as the Live installer I downloaded from Microsoft wouldn't load due to it thinking my computer was running in safe mode.

Next step was to try "Repairing" my installation using the bootable CD. This failed because in the year or so since I first installed it, I misplaced my Product ID.

I since found it and punched it in, and now my XP boots into a BSOD and then restarts my system. :shock:

Congratulations Bethesda, not only did you make me hate you for bastardizing one of my favorite franchises (to avoid a flame war, I will say the following: FO3 is in fact a very good game and I DO enjoy playing it, however when I play it, I am constantly telling myself it is NOT a Fallout game, it is simply another FPS that has some similarities to an actual Interplay/Black Isle Fallout world.) and now you've released a patch without fully testing it across all supported platforms which in turn led to screwing up countless users systems (This problem is all over message boards and helpdesk areas). Bravo! :clap: /sarcasm

Back