Fallout 2 utility Fallout ChatGPTrad - VB.Net to translate MSG files

pci130

First time out of the vault
Good morning,

Some time ago, I wrote a small program in VB.Net to translate Fallout 2 MSG files.

Fallout ChatGPTranslate v1.0.gif

Due to lack of time to translate different MODs, I suggest it to you.

There is a GIF that shows how to use the program.

I hosted the files on archive.org

I hope it doesn't cause any problems ^^. If you follow how the GIF works everything should be OK.

The program may ask you to install the .NET runtimes

https://github.com/JamesWestFR/Fallout-ChatGPTranslate

https://archive.org/details/fallout-chat-gptranslate

Good day to you

Last edited:
Just a reminder that # in msg files is not turning a line into a comment. The game will still read the string, you just override it now with a translated version right after.

Interesting. Nicely done.

Though, I would caution against using ChatGPT. I dabbled with it briefly to try to speed up translation. It looked okay on the surface, but very quickly problems arose. It drops lines, adds lines, inserts 'woke' liberal language, censors swears, bloody description, even hostile tones. It does this quietly, and will deny it even when you point it out. It also occasionally messes up the structure, adding or subtracting brackets. Finally, most of its translation is just...way too...modern? It's full of weird sayings, turns of phrase, colloquialisms, and slang that just does not fit in fallout.

I had to redo all the files I passed through ChatGPT. They were completely borked.

Interesting. Nicely done.

Though, I would caution against using ChatGPT. I dabbled with it briefly to try to speed up translation. It looked okay on the surface, but very quickly problems arose. It drops lines, adds lines, inserts 'woke' liberal language, censors swears, bloody description, even hostile tones. It does this quietly, and will deny it even when you point it out. It also occasionally messes up the structure, adding or subtracting brackets. Finally, most of its translation is just...way too...modern? It's full of weird sayings, turns of phrase, colloquialisms, and slang that just does not fit in fallout.

I had to redo all the files I passed through ChatGPT. They were completely borked.

in fact chat gptGPT does not do everything, that's why I kept the lines in the original language so that during rereading, we can make corrections. This might please some people

Just a reminder that # in msg files is not turning a line into a comment. The game will still read the string, you just override it now with a translated version right after.

According to the tests I did it worked.
Is there a character that allows me to comment please?

According to the tests I did it worked.
Is there a character that allows me to comment please?
You have to remove the brackets. Game will just straight up read the brackets and that's it.

New version: added a button to delete the lines of the original language
Added github link
Updating files on archive.org

Back