Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

On the map with the crops and the farmers, the first npc you see with a bodyguard next to him. And at the barter prices + his poor inventory, it indeed doesn't make much differences.

Ok thanks and YES ! it indeed doesn't make much differences... because when you know what's the optimal build S.P.E.C.I.A.L (with high luck) traits/skills you can have the special encounter which give the Alien Blaster very early in the game (this weapon is OVERPOWERED), once you have that weapon you become a one man army, it kill the rest of the game already lol

I'm running the most recent files on GIT as of 4 days ago, so this is not an official release, but I have a few observations to make:

General:
  • The game looks and plays great, it feels like Fallout 1 but with take all buttons and sensible item highlighting. Good call on disabling highlight containers and corpses by default
  • You got the "Tell me about" to work! I've never heard so much dialogue out of Tandi, I think this is the first time I've heard her spoken lines about the hub, junktown, seth, etc.
Shady Sands:
  • The guards in the house with Ian seem to respond too favorably to my karama=0 character with a neutral Shady Sands rep. Character with 3 CHA, 51% speech, no other rep mods. After the nameless NPC guards greet me skeptically and I pick a neutral/positive path through dialogue and exit, and if I immediately talk to them again, they all create floater text saying "Hey, you didn't turn out to be such a bad person..." despite having done nothing. I had not recruited Ian, killed any radscorps, or done more than exited dialogue and re-entered it.
  • Along a similar vein, Ian seemed to respond too positively to my character. With INT 9, CHA 3 and 51% speech, I was able to get the location of the Hub, Junktown and have him join me without paying him 100 caps. I did not even listen to his story about getting hurt, which increases his rep towards the PC.
  • Speaking to Aradesh after killing all the radscorps, before giving Razlo the tail to make antidote: Aradesh doesn't thank me for clearing out the rad scorps, but does say "things are more settled now that Razlo is working on a cure to poison". I believe Aradesh should have 1 reply for clearing out the scorps, and this reply for once you give Razlo the tail and/or maybe cure Seth's brother. Per's guide isn't clear on this, but I replayed Fallout 1 less than 6 months ago and Fallout et tu's responses seem to be a bit jumbled here
  • The trader. I tried to keep an open mind, maybe he was just going to sell rope and a knife? Nope, he had: cattle prod, brass knuckles, zip gun, first aid kit, and an outdoor skill mag. Most of these items are so out of place at this early stage of the game - why put this character in here? If for some reason you're dead-set on including a merchant in Shady Sands, have him stock: shovel, rope, a few caps, a few rocks, and a knife. As it stands, the inclusion of this character feels like Modder Syndrome, and I think he should be removed.

Vault 15:
  • I love that you kept the blue cave tiles
  • Vault 15 caves and vault-levels do not play music. There is music elsewhere in my game, and config file looks correct:
    music_path1=data\sound\music\
    music_path2=..\data\sound\music\

General question: has there been any tweaking to what the game and combat difficulty knobs do? I always play on Hard / Rough, and I swear there were more critters on the 2nd floor of Vault 15 than I remember.

Also, do companions use the hero appearance FRMs? I.e. if I give Ian metal armor, will Ian look like the long hair dude in metal? Tycho the bald dude in metal, Katja is punk girl in metal etc?

edit: I forgot to mention, I encountered a weird bug with the outdoor skill books in shady shands. Reading the book in the first shady sands map originally took the skill from 11 to 19%, and after multiple saves / reloads and starting / stopping the game (and alt tabbing), when I was on the 2nd map my skill had decreased to 9% before looting / reading the 2nd outdoors book. I have a save from right after that if you're interested, but I actually opened a save from before SS and tried to replicate the bug but didn't have any luck. It is 100% real though, hopefully just a very edge case.

Last edited:
The Shady Sands merchant is a Fixt addition. Maybe I'll put him behind the Fixt-wall some day. Currently I don't have time for that.

Music in V15 plays, you likely just have the files in the wrong folder. The Steam or GOG release moved the music folder to a different place, which likely causes the issue for you.

Difficulty, etc. has not been changed. Amount of rats, etc. is all the same as in Fo1.

Don't know about the outdoorsman books. This is hardcoded engine behavior that wasn't touched by us.

Music in V15 plays, you likely just have the files in the wrong folder. The Steam or GOG release moved the music folder to a different place, which likely causes the issue for you.

fallout\data\sound\music is the music directory for fallout 1
fallout 2\sound\music is the music directory for fallout 2
fallout1in2\data\sound\music is the music directory for your mod

After reading your post, I saw that fallout1in2\data\sound\music didn't have all the music from the fallout 1 directory in it. I copied the files over, and I have music in Vault 15 now. Yet, I still did not have music on the world map. Checking the fallout2.cfg, i saw that music_path2=..\data\sound\music, which I modified to ..\sound\music to reflect the folder structure in my fallout 2 install.

For any others with these issues, both fixes combined have restored my missing music. Lexx, it may be worth mentioning this in the readme.

You mean like this in the FAQ of the first post in this thread? :p

Some of the music tracks aren't playing!
Check where /music/ in your Fallout 2 installation folder is. Then open the fallout2.cfg file of Fallout1in2 and change the path under "music_path2" accordingly.
Or copy all the Fallout 2 music files into the "/Fallout2/Fallout1in2/sounds/music/" folder. That will work as well...

You mean like this in the FAQ of the first post in this thread? :p
Hah, kinda like that. You don't talk about the Fallout 1 music, but perhaps it's redundant. I would add this to the install instructions honestly, because most people are going to be working with a steam or GOG copy. Hell, I have the ISO rips of my original discs but I still used the gog installers for ease.

AAAAA YOU REPLACED THE GAMBLING TABLE IN THE HUB HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE MONEY NOW great mod btw thank you so much

Lexx

Shady Sands : Tandi kidnap/rescue is different in Fallout1in2 ?

It's the only quest i missed and i don't remember doing different than usual.
Normally Raiders kidnap her few days after the player know Shady Sands.

TeamX or Fixt changed it so the quest won't be active before you visited the Radscorpion caves. This is to workaround some dialog issues.

AAAAA YOU REPLACED THE GAMBLING TABLE IN THE HUB HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE MONEY NOW great mod btw thank you so much

To make a lot of money easely :

- kill all Raiders and take their stuff
- complete the glow to get many very valuable stuff
- fight (easely grind level in same time ^^) mutants patrol troops near/around the military base, they give very valuable stuff

Hey Lexx-

I'm playing on Win10 here, with the game in C:\games (so no program files) and Fallout2.cfg is always reverted to the default settings upon exiting the game. Do I need UAC aware to be flagged? I've manually set the values I want and flagged the file at read-only, but obviously that's not optimal.

To make a lot of money easely :

- kill all Raiders and take their stuff
- complete the glow to get many very valuable stuff
- fight (easely grind level in same time ^^) mutants patrol troops near/around the military base, they give very valuable stuff
Raider camp is fine, though the loot is one-time only.
the glow is very far, so you need the ability to carry 500 pounds of loot back in one trip to not waste time.
MB's patrol encounters are pretty chancy because half of the time they shoot burst of miniguns or rockets that can kill your lightly armored companions. Dogmeat is no go, and the rest need combat armor at least.

True money making scheme in Fallout Et tu is caravan guarding. Take a Crimson Caravan job (though other caravans is fine) to Boneyard. YOu will meet at least two, encounters with good loot carriers, with three caravan guards on your side. You also can STEAL the guards' ammo (use lots of beers to reduce their perception first).

Try to keep the guards alive, because later runs will have less guards otherwise, which is bad for our money making.

Raider camp is fine, though the loot is one-time only.
the glow is very far, so you need the ability to carry 500 pounds of loot back in one trip to not waste time.
MB's patrol encounters are pretty chancy because half of the time they shoot burst of miniguns or rockets that can kill your lightly armored companions. Dogmeat is no go, and the rest need combat armor at least.

True money making scheme in Fallout Et tu is caravan guarding. Take a Crimson Caravan job (though other caravans is fine) to Boneyard. YOu will meet at least two, encounters with good loot carriers, with three caravan guards on your side. You also can STEAL the guards' ammo (use lots of beers to reduce their perception first).

Try to keep the guards alive, because later runs will have less guards otherwise, which is bad for our money making.

When you play only essentials, strictly effective, not wasting time :

- it's better to play the whole game without companions (except Ian, he is temporarely very useful to complete the Radscorpion caves more easely and to not waste ammos/stuffs, at this stage of the game he is more efficient than us to kill opponents, after that he is no more useful, you can let him go)

- money making... only Raiders camp with their stuffs is useful, others money making scheme is not really essentials

- effective way to play the game (quests/sidequests/level up), briefly = Vault 13 > Shady Sands (radscorpion caves) > Vault 15 > Vault 13 > Shady Sands > Raiders camp > Shady Sands > Necropolis (to get the water chip to end the time limit of the game) > Vault 13 > The Hub (rescue the initiate) > Brotherhood of steel > The Glow (plasma rifle) > Brotherhood of steel (power armor) > Adytum (to upgrade power armor and plasma rifle) > there is no more challenge in the game after that, you can do all the remaining quests/sidequests the way you want

Full Companion is a valid playthrough, and it's a strictly personal choice. Some really like it solo, but I (and others as well) like full companions. It's a matter of preference.

If you have to supply Vault Dweller only, then the one-time-only Raider camp is fine. it's when you have to provide for Ian + Tycho + Katja, that you would need more.

Full Companion has a marked advantage over other playthrough, is The Glow. The Glow's loot is more than 500 pounds. A solo player can bring back around 150, even with chems help. 3 other humans, with chems, can bring back most of it... maybe.

For a full companion playthrough, and provided you dont mind metagame.

1. Shady Sands for Ian.
2. Junktown for Tycho. If your Charisma is enough for both dog and Katja, then Dogmeat now.
2a. Note that we can have Tandi join in her rescue quest, but she does take a Charisma slot. So take that into consideration.
3. Travel to the Hub, take a caravan job to Boneyard. It's safest choice to take a water caravan job, because encounters should be easiest. Crimson Caravan at this time would kill you.
4. At boneyard, Get Katja. Talk with a vd in the library's basement for background story plus a Flamer. Spend no more than 2 hours in Boneyard in order to take THAT caravan back to The Hub. Dont miss the caravan.
4a. It's not recommended to travel by foot from Boneyard to The Hub. the random encounters have Master's patrol team mix in and they could kill us even at late game. You can reload, of course, but ironman players can take that into consideration.
5. At the Hub can take a caravan back to Juncktown. Take Dogmeat now if you havent, because Dogmeat join event ignore Charisma limit. Travel by foot to Shady Sands.
5a. You also can take a caravan job to Brotherhood of Steel now to receive the glow quest. then caravan back to the Hub.
6. Do the Vault 15 now. And the rest normally.

This is to make sure we get 3 humans earliest as possible so we can have them level up in time. So we dont waste levelup. Et Tu limit is 21 levels.

Last edited:
In Fallout 1in2 the Vault Dweller can have a bike (early) with a trunk, so the travel time and weight llimit is largely improved.

The Glow in my perspective is essentially the key moment in the game to get majority of the best equipments of the game for free, not for money making by taking all stuffs inside, i only take stuffs i can sell at a high price.

Companions need good Charisma stat and is dangerous for yourself with burst weapons, you cannot make the optimal builld individually of the Vault Dweller with this choice.

SKILLS : speech, small guns, lockpick or energy weapons (later tag! skill to get this two essentials skills)
TRAITS : Gifted and Fast shot

Increasing attributes
You can get a doctor in the Brotherhood to perform operations on you to raise each of your stats (except Luck and Charisma) by 1, although this is really expensive. Wearing power armor will also raise your Strength by 3. Chuck in Adytum can raise Luck by 1, Patrick the Celt's encounter can increase Charisma by 1.

This mean... some stats have optimal value, Strength optimal value = 6
Most important stats in this game by order of importance : Agility>Perception>Luck>Intelligence>Strength/Endurance/Charisma
Agiility 9/10 + Luck 9/10 + PERKS... sniper/bonus rate of fire/action boy/bonus move = always critical hit with weapons, optimal combat turn and free move for better positioning or escape. Making the Vault Dweller a one man army with the optimal builld individually is more straightforward and efficient way to play this game in my viewpoint and experience after finished Fallout 1 and 2 many times.

How can I disable mutant invasions? I freaking hate invasions I can't reach to my desired level before mutants destroy every single thing I cafe about.

They aren't enabled by default... so disable them the same way you enabled them?

They aren't enabled by default... so disable them the same way you enabled them?
Well, I mean only necropolis and vault 13 gets raided not junktown or the hub or any other city. I just wanted now if it was possible to disable invasions for vault 13 and necropolis too

Back