Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

After looking at it, I'm blindly assuming you did not start a new game when testing this, because for me it works ... except in your savegame.

Did you pick up the non-working weapons before or after you made the mod? Proto stuff is written into the savegame, which explains why it doesn't work.
Hah, you're right - I didn't start a new game. I checked the save game folders and saw there was a PROTO folder, but inside it there's only a single item and it wasn't one that I edited so I assumed it was fine. The protos must be packed into individual .sav files then?

Separately, I finished the game and have prepared my notes on (potential) bugs. Should each individual item be a new issue on GIT?

From unreleased GIT version, last updated 4-24-2020

- Shady Sands: (unsure if bug) guards in house w/ Ian: after skeptical greeting, close dialogue, instantly gives floater about "Hey, you didn't turn out to be such a bad person..."
- Shady Sands: (unsure if bug) Ian seems too nice, instantly gave up locations of junktown & hub, joined for share of action. CHA 3, Speech ~45%
- Shady Sands: (fixt) new trader should be removed; pipe rifle, cattle prod, brass knuckles, zip gun, outdoor mag,
- Shady Sands: (unsure if bug) Aradesh says things are more settled now, and that Razlo is working on cure to radscorp poison after clearing the scorps, but not providing the tail
- Junktown: (unsure if bug) Robodog joins as soon as you get near the house while wearing leather jacket
- Junktown: Gunther dialogue typo, "Sorry, no boxing today." first reply is "Uk, okay."
- Junktown: Saul dialogue is buggy, hostile player dialogue choices have no impact, but the player can still resolve issue with Trish
- Junktown: Shark hitting trish and getting killed by Neal is buggy, death animination for sharker was frozen into map and never cleared
- Junktown: doc morbid complains about CotC healer competition, but Morbid's price is lower ($78 vs $195)
- Junktown: children healer in junktown, the dialogue option to lower price is "195.00000" -> wrong parsing of script-generated price?
- BoS outside bunker: dialogue with brotherhood entrance talking head also kinda wacky, talking head is always angry/insulted after you exit dialogue, even if you chose polite options
- Hub: Lorenzo (FLC lender) regularly wanders out of building, hangs around outside / in the back 'alley' of the buildings
- Hub: (with optional restocking merchant script enabled) jacob in hub should sell sniper rifle given dialogue
- Hub: (with optional restocking merchant script enabled) jacob in hub should sell super sledge after talking to him 2nd time per Per's ultimate guide (that may be a bug itself)
- Hub: (unsure if bug) in vanilla FO1, when you first talk to Jacob, if you talk to him about his past and are sympathetic, I believe he gave you a discount on his items. That doesn't happen here.
- Hub: after Jacob dialogue saying he will mention you to Vance (drug dealer), this is not reflected in Vance's dialogue and you're kicked out. This occurs after I talked to the loser in downtown hub, and refused to pay to be introduced to Vance.
- Deahtclaw lair: (with satellite locations enabled) no deathclaw in deathclaw lair, checked walls by entering combat mode. Did fight a deathclaw in random encounter while traveling to lair, is this a re-work of the encounter?
- Necropolis: trapped wall passage behind Set does not have explosion graphics
- Cathedral 1st floor: doc Wu has his CoC red badge available for barter
- BoS level 1: during scripted BoS h2h training session, message log prints "you gain You gain 1 skill point in.." for both melee and unarmed. Melee skill is not improved.
- BoS level 2: locked doors to bunks are described as "wooden door"
- BoS levels 3 & 4: doors don't close behind you (auto closing doors was not enabled in config file, but these doors auto closing is vanilla behavior)
- Cathedral vault level 4: locked door outside bomb is "you see a wooden door.". Electronic lockpicks have no effect. "You see a sturdy door with an old, rusty lock." Is long description vanilla?
- Mariposa: Lieutenant doesn't have custom death animation, just falls over and dies
- The Master: plays custom death animation on critical w/ better criticals, despite not actually being dead. He is still targettable, and when he goes to attack his sprite is reverted to the correct one. This happened 5 - 10 times to me with a character with finesse trait, better criticals & sniper perks
- Worldmap: lots of stumble over rocks, break leg encounters. outdoors 40 - 65. feels too frequent, even with ~50 outdoormans. I don't recall vanilla fallout 1 having it happen this early. I had 3 broken legs due to this encounter by level 6 or so.

I've also attached all relevant configuration files. If a save would be helpful for any of these, I may have it. I only keep 5 save slots on rotation, but I certainly have one to see the Master death animation issue, for example.

edit: I should add, I really enjoyed this playthrough. It's impressive how close to Fallout 1 it is. I really wish that, with all the correct / vanilla config options, it was a 1:1 content copy though. That's the strongest foundation upon which to add mods/tweaks whatever, while providing people who want it the best way to play vanilla Fallout 1. It's almost there now, if some of these bugs are addressed and the shady sands merchant is made optional.

Attachments

Last edited:
- Junktown: (unsure if bug) Robodog joins as soon as you get near the house while wearing leather jacket
This is exactly how Dogmeat works.

- Junktown: Shark hitting trish and getting killed by Neal is buggy, death animination for sharker was frozen into map and never cleared
Can't reproduce / never seen that.

- Junktown: doc morbid complains about CotC healer competition, but Morbid's price is lower ($78 vs $195)
- Junktown: children healer in junktown, the dialogue option to lower price is "195.00000" -> wrong parsing of script-generated price?
Never touched the prices, it's a Fo1 thing.
Same about the other price thing with the CoC in Junktown.
/Edit: These prices are really fucking weird. I have no idea why they did this the way they did... Doc Morbid will never be more expensive than the CoC doctor and why is it this fucking expensive anyways? ... No wonder nobody ever bothered with doctors in Fo1. And that's even with ignoring the fact that by default they never heal crippled limbs.

- Hub: Lorenzo (FLC lender) regularly wanders out of building, hangs around outside / in the back 'alley' of the buildings
That's a normal Fo1 thing. He is supposed to go outside every once in a while.

- Hub: (with optional restocking merchant script enabled) jacob in hub should sell super sledge after talking to him 2nd time per Per's ultimate guide (that may be a bug itself)
This is obviously a Fo1 bug.

- Hub: (unsure if bug) in vanilla FO1, when you first talk to Jacob, if you talk to him about his past and are sympathetic, I believe he gave you a discount on his items. That doesn't happen here.
There is nothing like that in the vanilla scripts.

- Hub: after Jacob dialogue saying he will mention you to Vance (drug dealer), this is not reflected in Vance's dialogue and you're kicked out. This occurs after I talked to the loser in downtown hub, and refused to pay to be introduced to Vance.
Did you talk to Vance first? Because script-wise everything looks ok and the barter modifier checks for it correctly.

- Deahtclaw lair: (with satellite locations enabled) no deathclaw in deathclaw lair, checked walls by entering combat mode. Did fight a deathclaw in random encounter while traveling to lair, is this a re-work of the encounter?
You killed the Deathclaw, so it isn't in the cave anymore. This is how it works in Fo1, just that in Fo1 you can't even enter the cave anymore if you killed it on the worldmap (due to the nature of quest satellite locations, I kept it enabled and instead just remove the Deathclaw if you have the location visible already).

- Necropolis: trapped wall passage behind Set does not have explosion graphics
I'm pretty sure there is no explosion graphic for this wall. It just gets deleted.

- Cathedral 1st floor: doc Wu has his CoC red badge available for barter
It's the same in Fo1.

- BoS level 1: during scripted BoS h2h training session, message log prints "you gain You gain 1 skill point in.." for both melee and unarmed. Melee skill is not improved.
I just tested it, got skill points in both. Melee Weapons and Unarmed. You sure one of your skills wasn't simply too high already?

- BoS level 2: locked doors to bunks are described as "wooden door"
Don't know why they are locked. I replaced the script.

- BoS levels 3 & 4: doors don't close behind you (auto closing doors was not enabled in config file, but these doors auto closing is vanilla behavior)
Door scripts are mostly unified. I'm not making exceptions, because it'll just mess shit up somewhere else.

- Cathedral vault level 4: locked door outside bomb is "you see a wooden door.". Electronic lockpicks have no effect. "You see a sturdy door with an old, rusty lock." Is long description vanilla?
Fixed the wooden door, but as far as I know, it's supposed to be a standard lock and not an electric one.

- Mariposa: Lieutenant doesn't have custom death animation, just falls over and dies
Worked for me. Maybe you didn't do enough damage to trigger it?

- The Master: plays custom death animation on critical w/ better criticals, despite not actually being dead. He is still targettable, and when he goes to attack his sprite is reverted to the correct one. This happened 5 - 10 times to me with a character with finesse trait, better criticals & sniper perks
Never seen this. Dunno about it. Critter death animations are an engine-thing and nothing we influence via scripts.

- Worldmap: lots of stumble over rocks, break leg encounters. outdoors 40 - 65. feels too frequent, even with ~50 outdoormans. I don't recall vanilla fallout 1 having it happen this early. I had 3 broken legs due to this encounter by level 6 or so.
Maybe, but that's how it is in code. I even reverted all the additional stuff from Fixt to make it more true-to-original.

Last edited:

Dunno anymore if it's vanilla or Team-B/Fixt, but that is there for quite some time. Basically the head explodes but the body stays active. And yes, that seems only to happen with criticals.

Last edited:
Then I don't know what to do about it. Must be looked into by someone with deeper engine knowledge than I have.

Thanks, that was fast! I can't quite read between the lines here- are you interested in fixing vanilla FO1 bugs? For the ones you didn't reply to (except the shady sands one)- are those known bugs or...?

Anyway, some more comments.

Can't reproduce / never seen that.
Want a save of me in the Skumm Pitt? You'll see the graphic imprinted in the map.

Seems like a good bug to fix then?

This is obviously a Fo1 bug.
But not selling the sniper rifle is a new bug with the merchant re-stocking option?

Did you talk to Vance first? Because script-wise everything looks ok and the barter modifier checks for it correctly.
Nope, I talked to the Loser, declined his offer, talked to Jacob who told me he'd pass my name to Vance, and then Vance kicks me out when I try to enter the building.

I'm pretty sure there is no explosion graphic for this wall. It just gets deleted.
I'm not so sure, as the explosion sound plays and we know that trapped containers (Highwater's chest) do show an explosion graphic.

It's the same in Fo1.
So, a bug? It doesn't make sense he would barter it.

I just tested it, got skill points in both. Melee Weapons and Unarmed. You sure one of your skills wasn't simply too high already?
Oh my melee skill was over 120, but the issue is two-fold: 1) the text that prints to the log is "you gain you gain", you gain is repeated twice. 2) if my skill is too high to be improved, the message that the skill is improved shouldn't print, right?

Is wooden door the right description? More so than being locked, those startrek-esq doors don't seem "Wooden".

Worked for me. Maybe you didn't do enough damage to trigger it?
That graphic triggering is damage dependent? I must have beaten Fallout 1 over 10 times, and it has played every single time.

Never seen this. Dunno about it. Critter death animations are an engine-thing and nothing we influence via scripts.
Want the save? I think what is happening is that, due to better criticals, my critical hit should be an insta-death to him, which is what is triggering the death animation. But something is preventing him from dying, so he continues to fight. That or the bug is the reverse; for some reason (sfall management of crit tables?) the game thinks my crit is an insta-kill, triggering the graphic, when it really isn't. Either way almost every hit from the pistol does this, so it's very easy to reproduce in the save.

For the ones you didn't reply to (except the shady sands one)- are those known bugs or...?

I didn't investigate these yet. What I can say right away is that the Fo2 moods are working slightly different than in Fo1. In Fo1 it's basically a scale from 0 to 100, while in Fo2 it goes from -100 to +100. I've tried to adapt to that and convert the values as good as possible without having to edit the vanilla Fo1 script. In my tests it worked good enough, but that doesn't mean there can't be issues with some characters here and there. That must be investigated individually.

Want a save of me in the Skumm Pitt? You'll see the graphic imprinted in the map.
Nah, that won't help me. It's a similar issue to the old "Ghoul corpses in Necropolis standing upright." I have a hunch about how to possibly fix it, though.

But not selling the sniper rifle is a new bug with the merchant re-stocking option?
I already fixed it on the repo. With the next version there will always be one sniper rifle by default when talking to him the first time.

I'm not so sure, as the explosion sound plays and we know that trapped containers (Highwater's chest) do show an explosion graphic.
So you mean the explosion / flame effect and not a different "damaged" graphic?
I checked the code, looks like some weird Fixt changes. I'll revert it.

Is wooden door the right description?
It's not, I fixed it.

Never touched the prices, it's a Fo1 thing.
/Edit: These prices are really fucking weird. I have no idea why they did this the way they did... Doc Morbid will never be more expensive than the CoC doctor and why is it this fucking expensive anyways? ... No wonder nobody ever bothered with doctors in Fo1. And that's even with ignoring the fact that by default they never heal crippled limbs.
Maybe the CoC use a percentage formula?
I am thinking it's a privacy thing. Since Agris complaint about this design feature, I want to feedback that it's normal for me. If Vault Dweller cant lockpick it, it mean I am a noob char and need to return for that once I am high level enough to invest lockpick
Worldmap: lots of stumble over rocks, break leg encounters. outdoors 40 - 65. feels too frequent, even with ~50 outdoormans. I don't recall vanilla fallout 1 having it happen this early. I had 3 broken legs due to this encounter by level 6 or so.
I also want to feedback about this feature: it's good. It raise the importance of Doctor's investment. You are screwed if you meet this event far from town.
If you fix this type of encounter, Doctor fell right back to the bottom of no use other than 60 point for Living Anatomy.

Tried to reinstall this, but having problems with undat.exe. The extraction goes up to file [73/8602] ART\CUTS\OVRINTO.MVE and then crashes. I don't think my MASTER.DAT is corrupt as I was able to extract the whole thing with F1DatExplorer0.3 without any problems.

Any idea what might be the problem here?

Looks like it has problems extracting the video file. No idea why, I've extracted my files hundreds of times (english and german Fallout). My wild guess would be that there is indeed something wrong with your master.dat file.

I guess you could just open undat_files.txt and remove the \CUTS\ entries and try again.

Tried to reinstall this, but having problems with undat.exe. The extraction goes up to file [73/8602] ART\CUTS\OVRINTO.MVE and then crashes. I don't think my MASTER.DAT is corrupt as I was able to extract the whole thing with F1DatExplorer0.3 without any problems.

Any idea what might be the problem here?

Where is your MASTER.DAT from... GOG, Steam? Also, what does crash mean, do you get an error message or does it just hang?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I think Lexx is right, though. I tried a different MASTER.DAT I had on an old external drive and this one went through without problems. Seems like the one I tried before was indeed corrupted somehow.

Thanks for the replies, I think Lexx is right, though. I tried a different MASTER.DAT I had on an old external drive and this one went through without problems. Seems like the one I tried before was indeed corrupted somehow.

Ok, thanks for checking! Bitflips do happen, even if it seems unlikely. Especially if the file was copied from one drive to another one. I might add some checksum checks in a future update to the tool to validate that the archive is indeed not corrupted. But then I'd need to gather the checksums for all available retail MASTER.DAT files...

Latest repo update now has some experimental changes to the critter reaction system. I noticed some things were wrong and probably fixed it now (values that should have been doubled weren't, etc). So far it looks like everything is working correctly now, but I don't have the time to do full blown tests with it.

Another change is the addition of Fo2's seasonal environment lighting. In Fo1, the sun always goes up and down at the same time, while in Fo2 it changes depending on the current season. It's a pretty simple change and I did not notice any issues with it. However, this feature will be disabled by default, because while it is much more realistic, I feel it can have quite a big impact on the location ambience.

If nobody reports any further bugs / issues with this stuff, I guess v1.2 will be released end of this month.

Last edited:
Minor thing, but I got some death messages that don't make any sense in the context of Fallout 1, mentioning "The Village" or "The Garden of Eden". If it isn't much trouble, maybe those should be excluded from the rest.

I also wandered into a cave filled with ants the other day and noticed one ant crawling on the ceiling beyond the cave wall. Maybe a hole in the map or a buggy spawn point?

Creatures spawning on wall then disappear is an engine problem, I think. This issue persisted since the old 1.0 days and even now on RP~

Minor thing, but I got some death messages that don't make any sense in the context of Fallout 1, mentioning "The Village" or "The Garden of Eden". If it isn't much trouble, maybe those should be excluded from the rest.

You sure you didn't borked anything? Because these messages should not show up at all. enddeath.txt doesn't have any of those.

/Edit: Seems like some of the conditions aren't working... these death messages should never trigger... On the other hand, I personally have never seen them, so no clue what's up again.

The problem with critters spawning in / outside of cave walls is that their position is set randomly (no luck involved, I swear). Game picks a random hex, checks if it is blocked and if it is, shifts the value a bit until it works out. Most of the time that means critters will be inside the playable area, but sometimes... they won't. We have no way to detect this, so it's just how it is. I've added lots of additional blockers in the small cavern corners, etc. but it can still happen at times.

Last edited:
Considering I have seen it happen with normal luck, and see no difference with Luck8/Luck2, I dont believe luck is involved.

Back