Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

Oh FFS...
i thought nobody is more mentally challanged on this subforum than quai-gon-jin.. and yet.. what a suprise I was wrong...

Myrmaid: 'Fallout: et tu' is a *mod*. It is *ment* to be played *after* playing vanilla Fallout 1/2 *not before* . Anything that is present on *modding* subforum assumes you have at least basic knowledge of Fallout 1 *and* 2 game mechanics. So all of your whining about more info on certain basic features is quite hilarious.

Boy, your juvenile attempts at insults and attention grabbing is cute. Cute, I say.

Extra cute for the leering sneer, or the sneering leer in Star Wars style.

Star Wars is overrated~

Oh FFS...
i thought nobody is more mentally challanged on this subforum than quai-gon-jin.. and yet.. what a suprise I was wrong...

Myrmaid: 'Fallout: et tu' is a *mod*. It is *ment* to be played *after* playing vanilla Fallout 1/2 *not before* . Anything that is present on *modding* subforum assumes you have at least basic knowledge of Fallout 1 *and* 2 game mechanics. So all of your whining about more info on certain basic features is quite hilarious.

If I extrapolate your PoV: "I didn't write a proper code comment for those text file settings because I assumed everyone has prior knowledge about every programming language and clearly doesn't need an explanation to quickly understand what a setting does".

I reckon a lot of devs who value precision and proper code comments would beg to differ.

Additionally you mean to tell me that Fallout et tut, a mod that enables you to play Fallout 1 in Fallout 2's engine, is meant to be played only after already having played Fallout 2 just because it utilizes certain aspects of Fallout 2?

So according to you Fallout 2 first, after that Fallout et tu = Fallout 1.
Logic has left the building.

Boy, you are asking a lot of efforts for a free product.

Dont tell me comments are easy. It's extra work and not very essential.

If it's essential You would not be the only one complaining about comments, You are the 1st complainer, If I remember posts about Et Tu correctly.

And your snark is entirely off the point. The majority of ET TU players is at the very least F2 veterans. Do you think a F1/2 newbie would jump onto this one? Known feature is active, and only deactivated if people really go looking for it. OBVIOUSLY companions = Charisma/2 round down. Why would that be otherwise? if we want to mess with problem we would go here and asking nicely like "how can I change companion calculation into F1 style instead of F2" instead of complaining nonstop like you are talking to a helpdesk

You got our attention. Now shut up. Or at least, present some newer idea instead of harping on this one like a broken player.

Last edited:
Ok, looks like I have to step in. It was fun to watch, but it's going on for too long now.

I kept all descriptive comments as short as possible, because more text = more visual clutter. The file got somewhat big with time.
Also, yes, I blindly assumed that everyone knows what exactly "Fo2-style" is supposed to mean. However, going by the anger, even if I had added "CHA / 2" you'd probably still be pissed because this feature is active by default.

It's not very likely that I am going to change the description, because then I would also have to change the description of everything else, just to explain what "Fo2-style" means in said context. I'd say this isn't worth my time at this point.

I was genociding deathclaws in Boneyand,and I found that when I was knock back to exit grid and leave deathclaw's playground,I can't get exp if I killed any in that battle,is feature or bug?

I was genociding deathclaws in Boneyand,and I found that when I was knock back to exit grid and leave deathclaw's playground,I can't get exp if I killed any in that battle,is feature or bug?
If You actually killed anything before beeing 'kicked-out' from the map by the deathclaw, I'd say it's a engine bug, the only way to fix it is Sfall team i'd guess.

@Lexx
I've been fucking around with Fallout2's engine limits regarding video playback. I downloaded and used Fallout's googlepixelAI upscaled videos made by "Ryan Cinematics" on you tube. I've managed to settle @ 1440x1080 @30FPS for ingame footage using mpeg-1 codec and manually changing the extension to .avi ( basically .avi's have many codecs depending on the version but actually started in v1.0 with mpeg-1 uncompressed video format and mpeg-2 for audio) mpeg-1 should be bult in codec in any windows since XP and most defineatly with DX9 runtime.
Had to downscale the video from 2880x2160 @60FPS as eigther Fallout2 engine or my hardware couldn't handle it ( the video was choppy and had tons of artifacts).

while using 1440x1080 @30FPS on a SATAIII SSD connected to a SATA2 port in mobo and a GPU+ monitor that don't support 4k resolutions, I've managed to succesfully and smoothly playback the provided below videos within Fallout 2 engine.

Side note: the videos come with custom made (by me) .cfg files in order to force black background for the videos. Because natively they have different background color. This does have a irritating side effect of ocasional disturbance of the video image with narrow horizontal bars and some ocasional flashed images over whole screen, but still better than blue side borders without .cfg files. It's eigther HRP or Sfall issue (given that sfall provides the function AllowDShowMovies=1 it is this feature's fault). Before use backup your <falloutdir>\data\art\cuts folder.

WARNING:
this is only a test version or a proof of concept as some of the videos are not assembled correctly for game usage such as iplogo, intro, and overseer speech, are fused together (and I couldn't separate them) same way as WALKM and WALKW are a single file with WALKW beeing the first to playback and WALKM right after it. Some videos might be missing as well but that's all Ryan's Cinematics doing.

USAGE:
-backup \data\art\cuts folder

unpack and overwrite with my archive there.

in ddrw.ini
[Graphics]
AllowDShowMovies=1

[Misc]
change movie file extension to .avi

for example:

Movie2=intro.mve

change to

Movie2=intro.avi

this is only to interest Lexx and other modders with the engine possibilities plus a good source of upscaled video material, so that perhaps in the future we'll have reasonable quality videos (beyond 640x480) in classic fallout games.

Link to archive:

https://mega.nz/file/jwhHnZ6C#GBtmPHWRPbxEW1Zbvh3wo96oWY9zowXuhOpACAXcuJs

Password to archive:
Fallout:et_tu_test

IMPORTANT:
due to large bitrate of the videos it is recommended to have fallout: et tu installation on a SSD drive, otherwise the video playback might be choppy. Afterall We're dealing here with 1080p of *uncompressed* video.

Last edited:
Looks like it barely works for me. The intro was still ok, but the ingame videos all made problems and I had to start them again from the PipBoy archive. After the video was over, the high-res interface parts were all covered in black.

Auto-end a fight without getting killxp happen to me once, recently. And it's quite rare event, considering all the recent time I pour into F2, both original and mods.

Something like this must be posted in the Sfall thread. There is nothing I can do about it.

Considering it's a rare event and I cant even replicate it, I am not complaining about anything to anybody. I am just saying, it's bloody rare, is what.:lalala::shrug:

Boy, you are asking a lot of efforts for a free product.

Dont tell me comments are easy. It's extra work and not very essential.

If it's essential You would not be the only one complaining about comments, You are the 1st complainer, If I remember posts about Et Tu correctly.

And your snark is entirely off the point. The majority of ET TU players is at the very least F2 veterans. Do you think a F1/2 newbie would jump onto this one? Known feature is active, and only deactivated if people really go looking for it. OBVIOUSLY companions = Charisma/2 round down. Why would that be otherwise? if we want to mess with problem we would go here and asking nicely like "how can I change companion calculation into F1 style instead of F2" instead of complaining nonstop like you are talking to a helpdesk

You got our attention. Now shut up. Or at least, present some newer idea instead of harping on this one like a broken player.

I'm not your "bro".

> Dont tell me comments are easy.

In this case the comment is trivial and only requires a few seconds for copy&paste from the wiki: "Party limit = Charisma/2, rounded down".

> If it's essential You would not be the only one complaining about comments, You are the 1st complainer, If I remember posts about Et Tu correctly.

How many people play Fallout et tu, and how many of those that do play it post on the forums?

> The majority of ET TU players is at the very least F2 veterans. Do you think a F1/2 newbie would jump onto this one? Known feature is active, and only deactivated if people really go looking for it.

Your evidence for that baseless claim?

> OBVIOUSLY companions = Charisma/2 round down. Why would that be otherwise?

Because Fallout 1 doesn't have such a limitation?

> if we want to mess with problem we would go here and asking nicely like "how can I change companion calculation into F1 style instead of F2" instead of complaining nonstop like you are talking to a helpdesk

Why do you that strange "we"?

You still haven't read or understood my original post after all this game? Oh dear, and you are on a public forum.
I searched the information I needed in a few minutes, but that doesn't excuse a comment for a setting which is based on prior knowledge.

If it were my mod I'd make damn sure that especially the comments for settings are easily understood without any prior knowledge.

> You got our attention. Now shut up. Or at least, present some newer idea instead of harping on this one like a broken player

The person who's sole M.O. in a discussion is to use ad hominem, fantasize about things which haven't been said and then fails to even read and understand what is being said is telling me to "shut up".

I can't help to grin watching a stupid character in action.

@Lexx

> However, going by the anger, even if I had added "CHA / 2" you'd probably still be pissed because this feature is active by default.

Somewhat sad you as the mod creator also fail to read a comment and rather venture into fantasy land.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone working on this and keeping the community alive. It's really awesome to see Fallout 1 with the improved engine of 2.

Few things I've noticed/come across:

• Every time I enter the 3rd floor of Vault 13, all the NPCs rush to the center and hangout (screenshot attached)
  • I wasn't able to start the water thief quest
  • Lorenzo won't accept repayment immediately, requires a full 24 hours. I can't seem to clean him out for the quest. He hasn't refused to lend me any money after I hit the $1000 threshold.
It's been a LONG time since I last played 1, but I recall being able to payback Lorenzo immediately and able to clean him out after you hit the big numbers. I also don't remember having to do anything special, outside of talking to one of the 3 NPCs to get the water thief quest.

Attachments

• Vault13Floor3.jpg
    Vault13Floor3.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 345
Lorenzo won't accept repayment immediately, requires a full 24 hours.

This is a fix, because being able to repay him immediately makes not much sense.

I didn't change anything with the water thief quest, though.

This is a fix, because being able to repay him immediately makes not much sense.

I didn't change anything with the water thief quest, though.

That makes sense. Any reason why I wouldn't be able to clean him out for the hidden quest?

Odd about the water thief. Was just never given the dialogue option.

Looks like it barely works for me. The intro was still ok, but the ingame videos all made problems and I had to start them again from the PipBoy archive. After the video was over, the high-res interface parts were all covered in black.

Well could You describe what happened in sfall thread? I've been trying to put some sense into Mr.Stalin and NovaRain but to no avail. the AllowDShowMovies=1 function is buggy and needs to be looked into, however they say everything is fine.

You could try to talk with more sense than i did to those two...

Anyways.. just describe them how it went.

On the other hand what do you think about the video image quality in comparsion to the original files?

If the video was choppy than this is a question of bitrate all vidoeos besides the intro.avi had much lower bitrate lkie 4,5-8 Mb in comparison to the intro which had around 14Mb hence the SSD requirement (since HDD won't manage to pull greater than 1-2MB random read) . The black interface is a Sfall or HRP spcific issue and should be reported.

anyaways I still got around 8 days of trial left for the program that downloads and converts the videos.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Any reason why I wouldn't be able to clean him out for the hidden quest?

Odd about the water thief. Was just never given the dialogue option.
The water thief dialog is on level 2, not 3. I talked to either a chick in lowerright room, or a guy in lower left room to initiate it. The water ration distribution scene in 3rd floor is not required, I think.

The water thief dialog is on level 2, not 3. I talked to either a chick in lowerright room, or a guy in lower left room to initiate it. The water ration distribution scene in 3rd floor is not required, I think.

As the wiki says:

To receive this quest, they need to speak to one of the following people in the vault:
  • Lyle located on the second level, second room from the left of the screen on the south side.
  • Cindy located on the second level, first room from the right of the screen on the south side.
  • The water guard located on level 3, outside the storeroom door.

I tried it in regular Fallout 1 (with fixt) and I was able to get it from the guard on the third floor, as well as both Lyle and Cindy.

Just tried a new game, new character in et tu and still can't get the quest no matter what.

The water thief quest will not activate before at least 30 days have passed. It's the same in vanilla Fo1.

/Edit: I also investigated Lorenzo. He seems to be working exactly like in Fo1, except for my change that you can't repay him instantly.

I found another Fo1 vanilla bug, though. :>
While doing some quick tests I noticed that he will never leave his building in Fo1, while he does so in ettu. This confused me, because the scripts are identical. So I started investigating...

... and it turns out there is a typo in his move order: The target hex is in a wall, which in Fo1 means, he will not start moving there. However, in Fo2 he will walk to a hex nearby, which is the one right outside the building.
The typo is fixed and he will now correctly walk to the lower bookshelf instead of leaving the house. A part of me is a bit sad about it, because for a while I really thought he is supposed to do a pee-break. :>

Last edited:
Back