Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

Make sure you've added draw.dll and f2_res.dll (both native and builtin) in winecfg DLL overrides. I don't recall having to do tinker with any file names since Windows doesn't care about case.
Thank you for answering! I'm using Proton, and have added those in launch options. Without them (at least ddraw) the game would launch into Fallout 2 instead of 1, so I'm pretty sure they work.
I'll try to retrace your steps. Did you run undat.sh to extract the files?
since Windows doesn't care about case.
I thought it only didn't on case-insensitive filesystems, but after some googling it seems you're right: Wine finds the right files for us. Though there might be some bugs in that.
In my data folder there are some duplicate subfolders like "sound" (which came from the mod archive) and "SOUND" (which was unpacked from master.dat). Is that the case for you too?

I made it work! Changed the screen resolution to 640x480 (before I used 800x500) and the head appeared along with the sound. :) I guess 16:10 is just not supported correctly.

I think it might be system-related, as on Windows I can play the game in 800x500 res window with talking heads just fine.
C0l0ejN.jpg

Ok, the real fix was to set PROTON_USE_D9VK=1. Now there are talking heads in 800x500! Although the text seems noticeably smaller, and also there is black flickering where there used to be black borders in 640x480, so I might just stick to the latter anyway.

Try to tinker around with refresh rate in f2_res.ini . Perhaps you have a weird monitor that isn't 60Hz like the 59Hz or something else.

[rant]
God only knows why You want to play in a goddamn pixelated resolution. Fallout was ment to be Played on a small, 15" CRT or smaller monitor in the 640x480 res, bigger monitor and you get ugly pixelated mess, but it would seem some ppl over here think this is how Fallout was sepose to be played, because that's what they encountered back in 1997 when they first played it. They had too much cash and already owned a 17" or bigger monitor. The game looked like shit in such case, and they still think it's the "ultimate fallout experience". For them, anything normal is: "too zoomed out" or "pixel hunt". For me playing on a low res with not enaugh pixel density per inch is like looking a t a mosaic or a painting made by an amateurish non skilled painter, it's disgusting, so when i have FullHD monitor I play with FullHD resolution, to achive correct pixel density, designed, by the developers, the way it ment to be, not a grotesque ugly mutant from hell like some folks want it to be.
[/rant]

besides on a low res You won't be able to experience the optional "inteface upscaled" mod for Fo:EtTu, which signifcantly improoves visual quality of certain aspects of the game, but requires high enaugh resolution to set the game to in order to benefit from this.

Actually, since I'm on a Steam Deck with its 7" screen, the low resolution is a good thing, because the text is too small otherwise. Unfortunately at 1280x800 max I can't use the upscaled interface anyway.

And you're right, I did set the screen refresh rate to 40 Hz to save some battery life (though I've never tested if it actually helps). Setting it to 60, I'm getting much less flickering, only a little in menus or dialogue, but not when traversing. I'll play around with the settings, thanks for the tip!

actually 1280x800 should be enaugh to use upscaled interface mod, at least i think so..

it just needs a semicolon removed in a proper section of ddraw.ini

[ExtraPatches]
;This section allows you to set multiple paths to folders containing mods or patches
;Paths to folders and Fallout .dat files are supported
;The PatchFileXX options are available from 0 to 99. Larger numbers take precedence over smaller numbers (same as patchXXX.dat)
;Starting from 4.2.6, the game will automatically search and load custom .dat files (or folders named as .dat files) from <GameRoot>\mods\
;The load order of files in the folder will be in reverse alphabetical order of the filenames
;Autoloaded files will have a higher priority than the files specified in the PatchFileXX options
;The complete data load order is:
;master_patches > critter_patches > mods > PatchFile99..PatchFile0 > patchXXX.dat > sfall.dat > critter_dat > f2_res_patches > f2_res_dat > master_dat
PatchFile0=mods\fo1_base
PatchFile1=mods\fo1_interface
PatchFile2=mods\Anim_ImprovedSMutantDeath
PatchFile3=mods\fo1_maps_mountains
;PatchFile4=mods\InterfaceUpscaled
;PatchFile5=mods\fo1_barter_formula
;PatchFile6=mods\fo1_lang_german
;PatchFile7=mods\fo1_lang_french
;PatchFile8=mods\fo1_robodog
;PatchFile9=mods\ShowLootWeight
;PatchFile10=mods\fo1_alternative_forcefields
;PatchFile11=mods\fo1_new_premades

just remove the semicolon that i marked in red

the interface upscaled does just that= increases resolution aka things look better/ smaller... As for the scale2x=1 might not work with interface upscaled on such a small screen ( the interface upscaled thas a minimum required resolution below which it does not work. Perhaps you should try around setting "windowed fulscreen" in ddraw.ini and set the graphics mode in sfall's (ddraw.ini) to =6 along side setting the resolution. At least I'd assume that's what NovaRain ment. There's no way 800x500 would work otherwise, or it's a typo and he actually ment 800x600..

as fot the flickering I think you could try the refresh rate= or something similar in f2_res.ini set it to your monitor refresh rate.. the default =0 is set to default value of the graphic's driver, so when that is toyed with on the monitor and/or GPU software for example, you must set the value in ddraw.ini accordingly, so I think.

Last edited:
Interface upscaled mod increases the pixel size of the interface to make shit look less pixelated in higher resolutions (since native engine upscaling looks terrible)... it has nothing to do with increasing font size. The readme file says exactly what the mod does.

interface_upscaled.gif

Scale x2 will duplicate your screen size, but not the pixel size. Your 1280x800 with x2 scaling enabled means that your actual screen resolution is 640x400 which means the interface upscaling mod doesn't work... it needs a minimum resolution of 890x720px as written in the readme file.

If you play in fullscreen anyways, there is no need to use the terrible x2 scaling. You will just fuck shit up.

@Lexx My man.. since You're here, how about spreading a good word to the folks around here about those upscaled vids that were toyed by me enaugh to be viewable ingame?

wel given the video size size i don't count on you including them in the EtTu download, but perhaps a mention and a link to my thread.. hmm?

Sorry, didn't really had time / motivation to look into anything Fallout currently. In any case, such stuff will not be included into a release, like I mentioned already in the past. It's just too big.

that's what i said too.. i just asked for a small mention in the original post, a line or two that the upscaled vids exist, and perhaps a link to my thread.. and since you've given it a Rad, then perhaps share your thoughts on the quality of the upscales versus originals how they look ingame ( if you've bothered to check this anyway)

Heya @Lexx just wanted to let you know of maybe a potential bug?

So when I start a game with the Gifted trait, none of the bonus starting items from Tags show up in my inventory, which I am fairly certain wasn't a thing in Vanilla F1, though when I do not use Gifted, they do show up.

Thank you for this mod!

The bonus items are actually not from "tag skills" but a fixed threshold check from the calculation of skill level and your stats.
So even if you have a skill tagged, if the result of calculation is too low due to your SPECIAL stats or something, you won't get bonus items.

Can somebody spoil me and please tell me where the motorcycle is in 1.8? I am almost done with the game, going blind, and didn't find it. For some reason I primarily ended up in cities at night and probably missed it. Please enlighten me! Yes, I have it activated in the fo1_settings.

Necropolis watershed.

Oh noes. I already did Necropolis (in complete darkness), so if I go back there I will probably trigger the bad ending. Is there a way to avoid that, even if it includes savegame editing?

Back