Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

Is there any way to remove sfall from the mod? I know it sounds stupid, but apparently it's due to sfall that my GPU reaches 90% usage no matter the settings and therefore makes the game basically unplayable and extremly sluggish.

Trying disabling any FPS limiter in your graphics driver. I had this issue twice on NVidia and Intel.

Trying disabling any FPS limiter in your graphics driver. I had this issue twice on NVidia and Intel.
I also tried that yesterday. It was suggested here, which is where I als got the idea to disable sfall. But no, that's when it went from 80% to 90% instead. I have an NVidia 1660 Max-Q though, in case that helps.

I also tried that yesterday. It was suggested here, which is where I als got the idea to disable sfall. But no, that's when it went from 80% to 90% instead. I have an NVidia 1660 Max-Q though, in case that helps.
Try playing around with sfall's graphic settings. If prompted, agree to remove high-resolution patch and use one built into sfall. Try these settings:

ddraw.ini:

[Main]
HiResMode=1

[Graphics]
Mode=5
GPUBlt=1

[Misc]
SingleCore=1
ProcessorIdle=1

f2_res.ini:

[MAIN]
GRAPHICS_MODE=0
SCALE_2X=0
WINDOWED=0

[INPUT]
EXTRA_WIN_MSG_CHECKS=1

@phobos2077 I respectfully disagree.. setting:
SingleCore=1
can only increase slowdowns instead of removing them. this is especially true on lower end systems
ProcessorIdle=1 is also a bad idea as it only sets 1ms of idle time per cycle.
however setting ProcessorIdle=0 sets the system to control how much of the cpu power the game actually requires ( similarily to how winXP does it)
it's ProcessorIdle=-1 that totally disables the feature as far as i remember..

Setting both ProcessorIdle=0 in ddraw.ini and "CPU usage fix=1" in f2_res.ini is highly desirable, but only if you enable all cores ( SingleCore=0 ). then the game should behave like it should with minimal cpu usage. the only other problem you may have is if You still for some reason sit on win7 and have problem with gameexplorer or however was it called, that literally forced 50% cpu usage and simultaneus run of two copies of Fallout2. if so ask NovaRain how to disable it, or simply upgrade to win10.

the last thing i would check is if the Fallout2 installer correctly recognized your amount of ram. as sometimes it doesn't and you'll end up with 5MB art_cache_size= in fallout2.cfg

if you have a 64bit system you should set this value to 261, so called sweet spot for fallout2 engine.

but do it on a system that has at least 8GB of ram

That would be all..

"CPU usage fix=1" in f2_res.ini is highly desirable,
Does it require the old HRP? I only use the sfall built in HRP these days. I just shared my current settings that seems to work.

the last thing i would check is if the Fallout2 installer correctly recognized your amount of ram. as sometimes it doesn't and you'll end up with 5MB art_cache_size= in fallout2.cfg
if you have a 64bit system you should set this value to 261, so called sweet spot for fallout2 engine.
Interesting, I never payed attention to this setting.. after all these years you learn something new. I had it set to 8, is that bad?

Does it require the old HRP? I only use the sfall built in HRP these days. I just shared my current settings that seems to work.

Interesting, I never payed attention to this setting.. after all these years you learn something new. I had it set to 8, is that bad?

not nessecarily bad.. it's ok for those weirdos that still play this game in 640x480. However if You play like normal folks in FullHD than 8MB of graphics cache might be too little for you, the game would scroll pretty poorly, and animations would be sluggish.. there is one exception to this rule... if you've set in ddraw.ini OverrideArtCacheSize=1 than it will be irrelevant whatever you set in fallout2.cfg in art_cache_size= as with vanilla sfall ( Yours and NovaRain's branch) overrided value is now 261MB ( this used to be 256MB, and still is for Mr.Stalin's sfall5 if i remember correctly) ).
i think it's all there is to it.
Back in the day when fallout 1 and 2 were made, graphic accelerators had no memory of their own, so games had to rely using portion of mainboard memory to use as graphical memory. this is where art_cache_size comes in. back in fallout 1 the game was designed to run with as little as 32MB of ram, with 5MB of it serving as graphics cache, that was for original resolution. Later when sfall came and resolution went up to modern standards, so had to the graphics cache. However Fallout and Fallout2 are 32 bit applications without Large Adress Aware flag set, so they could only map 2GB of virtual memory adress space. and since sfall chews from that too the art cache size has an upper limit beyond which the game begins to crash, after free virtual adress space ends. 261MB of art_cache size was found to be the sweetspot which does not crash the game with out of memory error. other errors occour if sfall build has memory leak bugs.

I don't know if CPU_usage_fix=1 works with built in HRPl.. i don't use it since built in HRP tended to fuck up localized subtitles when using divix .avi as videos. i don't know if it was fixed, as NovaRain claimed it worked for Him using english subs. However I and also One French guy experimented with why subs didn't work for upscaled avi videos for Fo:EtTu.. it turned out that with legacy Mash's HRP they work fine, but with built in HRP subs don't display when using .avi videos.

as i said i don't know if it was fixed, but my finding was mostly ignored. So i decided to stick to legacy HRP. compatibility with old HRP is actually a giant pro if deciding between vanilla sfall and sfall5, as Mr.Stalin decided to cut legacy HRP compatibility, and after a certain build only built in HRP works with sfall5. sfall5 still has video tearing bug in lower 1/3 of the screen when displaying avi videos, a thing Nova fixed some time ago in vanilla build. So sfall 5 not only lacks subs when viewing upscaled vids bit alsoo glitches the playback on 1/3 of the screen, as if the upscales i made were faulty :p

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. I did all of that (including changing the framerate settings) and it finally seems to work now. I'll now attempt fullscreen (or borderless fullscreen) mode to see whether it works like that as well.

Edit: While fullscreen works, GraphicsWidth and GraphicsHeight should be left at 0, as it seems. Windowed fullscreen does not work. I think my screen is too big for the engine to handle.
Also, which resolutions does SCR_WIDTH and SCR_HEIGHT in f2_res.ini support? Setting it to 1080x720 throws an error.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. I did all of that (including changing the framerate settings) and it finally seems to work now. I'll now attempt fullscreen (or borderless fullscreen) mode to see whether it works like that as well.

Edit: While fullscreen works, GraphicsWidth and GraphicsHeight should be left at 0, as it seems. Windowed fullscreen does not work. I think my screen is too big for the engine to handle.
Also, which resolutions does SCR_WIDTH and SCR_HEIGHT in f2_res.ini support? Setting it to 1080x720 throws an error.

sfall is able to work with any fullscreen game resolution as long as your monitor and graphic card support it.
1080x720 is not a standard resolution
either try:
1280x720 so called 720p 16:9 aspect ratio
or
1024x768 if you have an old crt monitor with 4:3 aspect ratio

be aware that non standard resolutions work only in Dx9 windowed mode sfall mode=5 (if i remember correctly).

on my desktop i run Fallout2 at 1920x1080, and on my win10 tablet i run at 1920x1280.

both work just fine as long as monitor and gpu support it.

Last edited:
be aware that non standard resolutions work only in Dx9 windowed mode sfall mode=5 (if i remember correctly).
Okay, that explains it, thank you. I have a 3:2 aspect ratio, so I'd need a non-standard resolution. But it seems like Windows or the GPU doesn't like running such resolutions in fullscreen. The black borders don't bother me that much, so I'll just stick to 720p. Thank you very much.

When I put the radio into Mr. Handy I get this error:

upload_2023-6-13_9-43-3.png

As far as I can see everything else in the mod works so assume this error is a not related to the install do you know what might be?

When I put the radio into Mr. Handy I get this error:

View attachment 27344

As far as I can see everything else in the mod works so assume this error is a not related to the install do you know what might be?

this might be an oversight after EtTu devs atempted to refine the code one time too much..
Besides the obvious question: how come you're wearing advanced power armor in this game, You weren't sepose to find any?!

I can tell You this, If You haven't screwed your savegame with the save editor too much, perhaps the natural way of getting Mr.Handy will work. if you have decent repair skill ( and the 91% from reading books should be enaugh) You should be able to just use repair skill on the robot agin to jury rig the radio, instead of using an actual radio on the robot.

Chances are yo were using a radio with an attached script to it, like the forcefields switching radio you make out of an ordinary radio and a certain computer on lvl 1. military base

this might be an oversight after EtTu devs atempted to refine the code one time too much..
I haven't touched the actual Mr.Handy repair code.

My question is, what exactly does "putting the radio into Mr.Handy" mean exactly. You don't have to use any object on it at all.
/Edit: Apparently you can use a radio on it instead of the repair skill. Didn't even know about that one.

/Edit2: Just tried it, no crash for me. Code looks ok as well.

Last edited:
Besides the obvious question: how come you're wearing advanced power armor in this game, You weren't sepose to find any?!

I can tell You this, If You haven't screwed your savegame with the save editor too much, perhaps the natural way of getting Mr.Handy will work. if you have decent repair skill ( and the 91% from reading books should be enaugh) You should be able to just use repair skill on the robot agin to jury rig the radio, instead of using an actual radio on the robot.

Chances are yo were using a radio with an attached script to it, like the forcefields switching radio you make out of an ordinary radio and a certain computer on lvl 1. military base

I found the advanced power armour just laying around in vault 13 *cough*... I didn't add it in a save game editor... :)

I can confirm the radio I used is from the mutants at the entrance so which defo have scripts attached to them so probably they are bugged when used. I'll try and magically obtain one via the save game editor and see if a normal one works perhaps. I'll also just try use repair skill and see if that's bug free.

I would say though if the radio out front of the military base is bugged due to the script, probably it needs to be made workable with the Mr. Handy or say this 'radio doesn't fit' try another one or something?' as likely this will be the easiest radio to get hold of for the repair.

Sorry for double post but can't edit it to add the screenshot...

upload_2023-6-13_11-15-58.png

For some reason even a normal radio produced this error when it said I successfully replaced the robot's radio on the display so error seems to be with any radio I guess for me, not sure why you don't get the same bug.

If I just use repair skill I don't get the error though so no big deal but odd.

I can confirm the radio I used is from the mutants at the entrance so which defo have scripts attached to them so probably they are bugged when used.
All radios have the script, it's not the reason for your crash.

Need a savegame.

Just upload it somewhere. Can be on the forum here too.
I appear to have saved over the file, but when I get a min I'll just make a new character edit them to be powerful and enter the base and double check, might prove to solve the problem in its own right as well potentially.

Hello, I want to start my Fallout 1 journey this evening and I'm super hyped! But I am unsure if this is the right size on my 1920x1080p screen?
PXL_20230628_232246520.MP-min.jpg

Is this fine or should the game fill my entire screen, if so, how can I solve it?
Thank you in advance!

Main menu means nothing. You have to see how it looks in the actual game.

Back