Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.6

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Lexx, Aug 23, 2019.

1. laclongquan

laclongquan Boned Hunter of Sister

Jan 11, 2008
    Did you create your character, then appear in the dark tunnel full of rat?

2. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    The problem is very likely that sfall / ddraw.dll isn't working. There is something that needs to be done on linux, but I have no idea what exactly that is, as I don't use linux myself.

3. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Oct 28, 2009
    try adding ddraw.dll and f2_res.dll (both native and builtin) in winecfg dll overrides. If you haven't touched upon that you've probably did not install, directX libraries either. It will be hard to run fallout without theese. anyways there are some stickies how to run Fallout on Wine under MacOS or whatever in the stickies look for your answeres there.
    EDIT: while you're at it you may want to also consider adding VC++ libraries (at least 2015 if not all of them [ also both x86 and x64 ] )

4. dudejo001

dudejo001 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm having issues with changing my resolution. In the current versions, the in-game menu has no effect for me, no matter what I configure, be it scale 2x, windowed, you name it. Even rebooting the game isn't guaranteed to apply my changes.

I had to roll all the way back to version 1.0 before the menu worked properly.

5. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Try changing mode= in the ddraw.ini from Dx9 to anything else.

We didn't do any changes to the HRP. I'm guessing the Sfall graphic mode is what makes these things not work in the HPR anymore.
    That being said, it all works fine for me.

6. dudejo001

Mar 6, 2010
    The only mode that isn't DX9 in SFALL is Mode 0 for 8-bit fullscreen.

But it worked for me so the screen config works again. Although, in theory, F2RES itself is configured by default to use DX9 so the game's probably still using it even if SFALL's settings disable it.

Thanks for the response =b

7. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Well, the HRP has its own Dx9 mode, which runs if you disable Dx9 in Sfall. As far as I am aware, Sfall's Dx9 is better, though, and it doesn't require x2 scaling or shit like that. Just don't set a huge screen resolution.

No idea why for some people the resolution changes, etc. don't work with the current default settings. For me there are 0 issues with it.

I was thinking of setting mode=0 as default again in the ddraw.ini, but then I remember that lots of people will be blaming the Win10 alt+tab issue on ettu again ... just can't win this fight.

8. dudejo001

Mar 6, 2010
    I see.

Personally, I'm still running Windows 8.1.

9. Elias Hunter

Elias Hunter First time out of the vault

May 11, 2021
    Where do you find the motorcycle?

10. dudejo001

Mar 6, 2010
    BTW, I noticed that the INI files in the config folder allow you to configure, among other things, the behavior of the Skills system.

Including the ability to disable the x2 skill point bonus to Tagged skills.

Is that a potential way to, le gasp, make Skill perks useful? :O

11. Clown_Shoe_Prostitute

Clown_Shoe_Prostitute First time out of the vault

Jul 14, 2021
    Whenever I set my resolution to 1920x1080 the game crashes with a generic "memory could not be read" error on launch. Any smaller resolution works. It will play the splash screen then immediately shit itself.

12. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    No idea, we didn't change anything with the High-Res patch. It's exactly the same as in the RPU and other mods. You can try to disable the Dx9 mode or something.

That being said, you should not be setting the screen resolution this high anyways, unless you want a game with graphics for ants.

13. Edvin

Edvin First time out of the vault

Apr 22, 2021
    @Lexx
    I found several NPCs that use generic "tell me about" texts instead of their own "tell me about" texts.
    (I'll check a few more characters and give you a list here)

Next I would have two questions:

1) In the BoS bunker, there is a female paladin (right at the entrance on the first floor) who has a virtually complete romance written in her texts, which has never been activated.
    Do you think you could reactivate it?

2) This is more of a personal question: How hard would it be to add a few new holodisks to the game?
    "Hundreds of years ago" one of the original F1 translators (to my language) added a few holodisks to the game with a few extra texts and I would like to restore them in my translation of et tu. I know that the holodisk, which must be able to be read in pipboy, is probably a lot more complicated than an ordinary item, so I'd rather ask if it makes sense to try at all.

14. NightmareGats

NightmareGats First time out of the vault

Jul 20, 2021
    Can I add more days to the main mission like in FIXT?

15. Dropkick

Dropkick First time out of the vault

Nov 13, 2018
    How do I add fuel to the bike?

16. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    It's the same as how you charge your car in vanilla Fallout 2.

17. Edvin

Edvin First time out of the vault

Apr 22, 2021
    A small note about the region Warehouse in Boneyard.
    (The place where deathclaws live.)

It's not a warehouse... :wtf:
    It's an old cinema.

This is clearly visible from the layout of the building, movie posters on the walls and about a dozen mentions in dialogues where everyone says that Rippers had a base in an old cinema. Wouldn't it be much more logical to rename the whole area to "cinema" or "old cinema"? This thing has got on my nerves for almost twenty years...

18. laclongquan

laclongquan Boned Hunter of Sister

Jan 11, 2008
    It's how the devs original set it. As a total conversion mod, I doubt Lex would change content. Outside of project's scope.

19. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I don't want to change details like that. However, as this is the Fo2 engine and we have lots of possibilities, it would be easy for someone to make mods for stuff like that.

I checked the dialog and there seems to be lots of missing lines. I hate these romances in general, so it is very unlikely that I will write the missing text.

Well, for me it's easy to add new holodisks, because I just have to check some files and probably figure it out quickly. Can't really judge how difficult that is for other people. I remember having seen a holodisk editor some years ago. Don't remember the name of the tool, though, and don't remember where it can be downloaded. With that it's probably becoming easy for everyone.