Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

I haven't thought of anything fancy just a second attack like this:

Lob_throw.jpg

This stuff is only needed for all grenades and flares.

There's no point in adding it to thrown knives. thrown knives could only benefit from Weapon_Penetrate.

As for the perks, i think upgrading a hit to a crit via perk and a selective boost to crit roll could be done via perk right?

But then you get the same interface text with just a different AP value. Would look like a bug to me. Also I really don't think this is something that ettu should be doing.

Hi,
I've been playing Fallout et tu for a while now, having lots of fun with it - however I seem to have reached the Vault 13 invasion date and the game ends for me. Needless to say it's really upsetting not being able to finish it - is there a way to remove the invasion to V13? Either by editing some ini / config file or the save itself?

Thanks

Hi, I am here because upon installing your mod as instructed, You did not instruct on how to launch the game soi'm a bit lost. Nothing seems to be changed when i launch fallout 1 through steam. The game does appear to be different if i use the Exe included in the file, However it's not recognizing my saves. Lastly des the optional content, that can be toggled in the config, Mean that it is Enabled with 1 or 0?

This is a mod for Fallout 2. You cant run it with Fallout 1.

This is a mod for Fallout 2. You can't run it with Fallout 1.
?.. Are you obtusely saying that using Fallout 1 saves is impossible? If so, I feel as tho you could benefit from less confused people like me wasting your, and there's time by making that clear. The average person would not know what can and cannot be done, Nore how this mod functions, Thus could not assume how to operate it or the limitations associated. You only state that it needs fallout 1 and 2 installed, That doesn't tell me anything other than the Vague notion that both fallout 1 and 2's assets are being utilized in someway.
Clarity is not something that can be overstated. We are all at different points in this scheme of time.

?.. Are you obtusely saying that using Fallout 1 saves is impossible?
It's like that for pretty much any game in existence. You can't use one game's save files in another game.

It's just like trying to play a Fallout 3 save file in "Tale of Two Wastelands", it just wouldn't work.

Both games use different game engines, that is why Et Tu says something like "play Fallout 1 in Fallout 2's engine".

What's obtusely about it? It's a Fallout 2 mod, so obviously Fallout 1 saves won't work. You said you followed the instructions, but from your post it sounds like you are trying to start Fallout 1, which won't work, because based on the instructions you would have installed the files into your Fallout 2 folder.

Besides, ettu does lots of behind the scenes changes, which means that even if in theory Fallout 1 saves would work, they wouldn't anymore after installing the mod. The games are many years old and mod compatibility wasn't really a thing back then.

I have just pushed a new setting (fo1_settings.ini - GVAR_ENABLE_TOUGH_MUTANTS) to the repo. Enabling this will give Super Mutants more hitpoints. Disabled by default, because this will have a noticeable effect on the late game difficulty (personally I will probably never play the game without it anymore).

I've tried to keep it somewhat reasonable and not go all too crazy on the numbers so that late-game won't become an impossible crunch.
The Necropolis Watershed mutants are only slightly tougher to not fuck with the early game too much. Currently I'm even thinking of making these mutants an exception and keep them at their vanilla hitpoints. Would be good to hear some thoughts about it.

PID_LOU - orig hp is 250, new hp is 350
PID_HARRY - orig hp is 120, new hp is 140
PID_SUPER_MUTANT - orig hp is 40, new hp is 80
PID_NIGHTKIN - orig hp is 50, new hp is 100
PID_NIGHTKIN_GUARD - orig hp is 60, new hp is 125
PID_TOUGH_SUPER_MUTANT - orig hp is 75, new hp is 115
PID_SUPER_MUTANT_GUARD - orig hp is 50, new hp is 90
PID_MEAN_SUPER_MUTANT - orig hp is 60, new hp is 100
PID_MAD_SUPER_MUTANT - orig hp is 100, new hp is 150
PID_DEADLY_SUPER_MUTANT - orig hp is 125, new hp is 175
PID_TOUGH_NIGHTKIN - orig hp is 70, new hp is 140
PID_DEADLY_NIGHTKIN - orig hp is 90, new hp is 160
PID_SUPER_NIGHTKIN - orig hp is 110, new hp is 180
PID_MASTER_NIGHTKIN - orig hp is 140, new hp is 200

/Edit: I've decided to revert the Watershed mutants for now, to keep the early- / mid-gamebalance unchanged.

Last edited:
Originally wanted to wait a bit longer, but it was vacation tyme and I found some real shitty bugs in my latest playthrough, so here it is, v1.4 for everyone.

release_v1.4.png

Changelog:
  • Added: A new setting to enable tougher Super Mutants for a more challenging endgame.
  • Added: After killing the Deathclaws in the Boneyard, the player can now pay Zack a hefty sum to increase the chance of spawning special weapons (only works if Fo2-style merchant inventory restocking is enabled).
  • Added: All classic music tracks are now distributed with the mod, as it seems lots of folks have issues with setting it up correctly.
  • Added: Carrying a rope will now prevent the player from breaking his bones in "falling from a cliff"-encounters (the item will be consumed).
  • Added: Garret in Necropolis will now open/close the "reward fridge" when using it. Also added the missing "locked container" sfx.
  • Added: Lots of invisible blockers around edges in cavern encounter maps to try to prevent the game from spawning mobs outside the walls.
  • Fixed: A critical bug in the encounter system that would crash the game.
  • Fixed: Added the missing "Combat Armor"-perk to Combat Armor and Brotherhood Armor.
  • Fixed: After being brought to Mariposa by Super Mutants, party members would not be moved correctly into the prison cell.
  • Fixed: After opening the Vault 13 armory, the guard will return correctly to his home position and rotation after returning to the map.
  • Fixed: Caps restocking was broken on some merchants.
  • Fixed: Dogmeat will now start out correctly with 50hp.
  • Fixed: Empty encounters should (hopefully) not happen anymore now.
  • Fixed: Encounter Super Mutants with Laser Rifles will now spawn with MFCs instead of SECs (vanilla Fo1 bug).
  • Fixed: For some reason the brown bag used the normal bag graphics. Also tweaked the item stats to slightly differentiate it from the normal bag while I was at it.
  • Fixed: Force field emitter and terminals used the same damage code which could lead to odd behavior.
  • Fixed: Hero Appearance mod long hair dude PipBoy image wasn't shown correctly.
  • Fixed: Killian wouldn't mark Necropolis on the players map after asking for locations outside.
  • Fixed: Mantis would fight Spore Plants in encounter maps.
  • Fixed: The mysterious "Vault 13 invasion timer bug" is no more.
  • Fixed: The "You gain x experience points for freeing Tandi"-message will only show if the amount of experience is > 0.
  • Fixed: The Cautious Nature perk wasn't working with the Fo1 encounter system.
  • Fixed: When doing caravan jobs, the Caravan Driver and Caravan Guards would spawn new items on every game tick.
  • Fixed: The Fast Shot-Trait now works exactly as it did in vanilla Fo1.
  • Tweaked: The HK P90 ("10mm Carbine") has a small chance to appear at the Gun Runners now.
  • Tweaked: Added back in the "Decker must be killed"-condition to the Hub good ending.
  • Tweaked: All caravan jobs will only have one possible encounter now to circumvent an annoying bug that can't be fixed right now (basically reverted to Fo1 mechanics instead of Fo2's more complicated ones).
  • Tweaked: Complete quest and dialog overhaul for getting the motorcycle. It's now more streamlined and relies less on meta-knowledge. It's more or less still work in progress.
  • Tweaked: Fixed up some more town reputation changes. Just statistics - has no real influence on the game itself.
  • Tweaked: Increased the chance for cave and mine encounters a bit.
  • Tweaked: Killing a Mantis now gives neutral karma (animals aren't "evil").
  • Tweaked: Removed excess items (stimpaks, psycho, caps, etc) from Garl (was a Fixt addition that changed game balance).
  • Tweaked: Removed weapons from Bob the pre-owned cars salesman (another old Fixt addition).
  • Tweaked: Sfall graphics mode 4 (Dx9 fullscreen) is now the new default.
  • Tweaked: Super Mutants at the Mariposa entrance will return to their home position if the player left for longer than a day.

As always, find the new release on GitHub / check the first post of this thread or just go here.

Biggest noticeable change is probably the new "Tough Mutants" setting in the fo1_settings.ini file. As mentioned earlier, it cranks up the late game super mutant hitpoints, which makes them a bit more of a threat. However, keep in mind that ettu also makes use of fixed/changed ammo modifiers and such (Fo2 engine and Sfall fixes, etc), which also means that combat gets a bit easier later than how it was in vanilla Fo1.
In any case, for me this is the most fun addition right now, because for the first time in years I had a bit of a struggle in Mariposa and the Cathedral and couldn't just "turbo plasma stomp" everything left and right.

Also fixed a serious crash bug that would appear after saving and loading in encounters, and I finally found out what the source of the "Vault 13 suddenly got invaded!"-bug was.

Everything else is more or less smaller fixes, yadda-yadda. Still some good stuff in there, imo.

PS: Savegames from v1.3 should be compatible without too many issues, but to experience the full effect of all the fixes, etc. it's necessary to start a new game.

Last edited:
Fuck yeah, those changes seem awesome. I need to play it!

That Tough Mutants setting seems so cool. I assume you gave them their HP from Fallout 2, am I right? I remember Super Mutants in the Remnants of the Master's Army had 150 HP there. Pretty sure they were the toughest thing in-game that wans't the high-level Bounty Hunters, Deathclaws and the Enclave.

Feels like Tough Mutants would also make the battle with The Master harder as well.

Did you up the HP of Centaurs, Floaters, The Lieutenant and The Master as well?

Weird idea: I wonder how the Turbo Plasma would work if it was a plasma burst weapon (with damage per shot more in line with say, the Plasma Pistol), more in-line with how it is depicted in Fallout New Vegas? Or it could be just the normal plasma rifle, without the damage enhancement, only the AP enhancement.

Pity we don't have more Super Mutant sprites, the idea of elite Super Mutants with Power Armor-tier toughness or even Tesla Armor that makes them pretty much immune to energy weapons, is pretty cool to me.

Wish I was able to mod... I would totally give The Master some extra psyker tricks. Like using telekinesis to drop weapons, thrown the Vault Dweller around with telekinesis (to prevent the 'hide behind pilar' trick), self-healing, extra mental attacks if the Vault Dweller has no way to block his telepathic powers, EMP attacks made using electrokinesis if the Vault Dweller wears Power Armor, pyrokinesis attacks, using photokinesis to blind the Vault Dweller with flashbang-like bright flashes, etc.

I assume you gave them their HP from Fallout 2, am I right?

I didn't really look at Fo2 for it, but I've mostly doubled their HP. The default mutant for example had 40hp in vanilla and now has 80hp. The baddest motherfuckers have 200hp now and they are a real threat.

The fight vs. Lou is HARD now, because you have to deal with 3 high HP mutants with each of them being quite dangerous already on their own. Had to drug up on buffout and psycho to be able to beat them. Never had to do this in any other playthrough.

Also the patrol encounters aren't over in 2 turns anymore, because unless you play a min-max character, you can't annihilate them in a turn.

Did you up the HP of Centaurs, Floaters, The Lieutenant and The Master as well?
I had Lou at 350hp first, but reverted him to his vanilla 250, due to his two buddies who are also more a threat now. IMO it's more fair this way.
The Master is already at max 999 hp.
Didn't touch floaters and centaurs.

Dunno about the turbo plasma stuff. It would need new sound effects and such, otherwise it would feel bad I guess. Also not sure if that would really change the balance all that much ... in my last playthrough I also used the non-upgraded plasma rifle and it's still very strong. Don't really have an opinion on it right now.

I think the best approach would probably be to increase super mutant damage resistances, etc. because that's what really prevents the serious damage. Right now, with a high-crit build, you can still kick mutant asses with dealing >100 hp damage per turn.

About the Master's psyker stuff... dunno if that would even be possible while the player is in combat.

I didn't really look at Fo2 for it, but I've mostly doubled their HP. The default mutant for example had 40hp in vanilla and now has 80hp. The baddest motherfuckers have 200hp now and they are a real threat.

Geez, 40HP? I thought they had 50 by default. That's kinda sad, think the average Khan has like 20-30 HP? Super Mutants should be, well, Super. 80 is definitively more in-line with what they are supposed to be. Tougher Mutants is a genius idea.

How about "Even Tougher Mutants" option to give them their Fallout 2 HP, with proportional increase for the extra tough ones?

I had Lou at 350hp first, but reverted him to his vanilla 250, due to his two buddies who are also more a threat now. IMO it's more fair this way.

I think 350hp Lou is fair, its meant to be a boss encounter after all. Lou is what Super Mutants want to be when they grown up. He's also a cyborg. Has a unique cool sprite and everything.

The Master is already at max 999 hp.
Didn't touch floaters and centaurs.

Wait, you didn't change The Master? Because I'm pretty sure he has 500 HP in vanilla.

No Floaters and Centaurs? Seems like they would be comparatively flimsy then. Or not? I don't remember their HP in 1.

I think the best approach would probably be to increase super mutant damage resistances, etc. because that's what really prevents the serious damage. Right now, with a high-crit build, you can still kick mutant asses with dealing >100 hp damage per turn.

True. Its a pity we don't have more Super Mutant sprites. A Super Mutant with Combat or Metal could easily be on the level of Powered Armor, for example.

One that would be cool is a Super Mutant with Tesla Armor. Straight out hard counters the Turbo Plasma Rifle cheese. Now that would be pure evil.

About the Master's psyker stuff... dunno if that would even be possible while the player is in combat.

Would't it be just scripts? I remember the final boss of Fallout of Nevada had a few tricks like that up his sleeve, through not that many. Its just an idle idea anyway.

Hello. Can I get more details?
The gist of it is:
I forgot to add a condition that checks if the random scenery was already created (in player-triggered encounter maps (enter green triangle on wm)). The game would try to create the scenery while it was already created, which could cause the game to crash. I never noticed this issue until recently, because I never actually saved in encounter maps (I'm just that good at the game now, alright). Generally I'm not saving all that often nowadays, which easily leads to issues like this to slip past me...

Geez, 40HP? I thought they had 50 by default. That's kinda sad, think the average Khan has like 20-30 HP? Super Mutants should be, well, Super. 80 is definitively more in-line with what they are supposed to be. Tougher Mutants is a genius idea.

It's worse than that. The generic Super Mutant has *less* defense stats than a Raider Guard while only having 7 HP more.
PS: The weakest Nightkins have 50 HP.

How about "Even Tougher Mutants" option to give them their Fallout 2 HP, with proportional increase for the extra tough ones?
Was already thinking about it. Some sort of "overkill"-mode. It'll be easy to do, so guess I can throw it into the next update.

I think 350hp Lou is fair, its meant to be a boss encounter after all. Lou is what Super Mutants want to be when they grown up. He's also a cyborg. Has a unique cool sprite and everything.
For me it felt borderline fun at this point. They were really mopping the floor with me and my companions until I started cheesing the fight a bit. I really don't think it's necessary.

Wait, you didn't change The Master? Because I'm pretty sure he has 500 HP in vanilla.
You're right, he only has 500hp. Guess I can throw some more HP at him too.

No Floaters and Centaurs? Seems like they would be comparatively flimsy then. Or not? I don't remember their HP in 1.
They are ok-ish, imo. Unlike the "Super Mutant Patroller" they have higher resistances.

Would't it be just scripts? I remember the final boss of Fallout of Nevada had a few tricks like that up his sleeve, through not that many. Its just an idle idea anyway.
I don't know how much you can script useful stuff while in combat. Never played around with it much.

Last edited:
I've managed to play a llittle with 1.4 svn version and:

-Lars still doesn't reward player with caps for denouncing/eliminating skullz despite player asking lars for a paid job (and theese usually get paid [unless you get ripped off :p ] )

- thugs in hub:old-town (the ones holding BoS initiate as a prissoner) tend to notice me through the window agin, and attack, so i have to sneak (might be due to some *too strict* maps cleanup).

-Garret, Set's lackey doesn't go to the fridge and give out rewards he only says ge gives them, does not walk to the fridge, but beats me if he gave them or not.

-computer on lvl1 master's vault does not reveal Mariposa on the world map (currently the only way to find mariposa is by wandering) it was not this way in vanilla.

-BoS Armory access still needs some love (in the sense it's still implemented i a wacky FIXT way right now).

i seem to get a bug on mariposa lvl4 map that game freezes got a savegame just before if You're interested. happens everytime, i just need to purge the location a bit, for example blow up the force fields or kill the robots, and it triggers sooner or later.

-Lars still doesn't reward player with caps for denouncing/eliminating skullz despite player asking lars for a paid job (and theese usually get paid [unless you get ripped off :p ] )
I can't find anything in the dialog file about caps regarding the Skulz. There is only 500 caps for Gizmo. As far as I can tell, this is intended behavior.

- thugs in hub:old-town (the ones holding BoS initiate as a prissoner) tend to notice me through the window agin, and attack, so i have to sneak (might be due to some *too strict* maps cleanup).
Are you still using Sfall Extended? It's possible that this does something else with how the ai sees through objects.

Also check your ddraw.ini that ObjCanSeeObj_ShootThru_Fix is set to 0. If it isn't, set it to 0, otherwise stuff like this happens (the function is not supported by ettu and I'm not going to edit the maps for it, because it would cause other issues).

-Garret, Set's lackey doesn't go to the fridge and give out rewards he only says ge gives them, does not walk to the fridge, but beats me if he gave them or not.
Do you have a savegame for that? I've played through the game 4 times in the past weeks + some direct tests for that and never had issues with it.

-computer on lvl1 master's vault does not reveal Mariposa on the world map (currently the only way to find mariposa is by wandering) it was not this way in vanilla.
This fucking script. I completely rewrote it now. Should work in next update.

-BoS Armory access still needs some love (in the sense it's still implemented i a wacky FIXT way right now).
Yeah but I really don't feel the motivation to do this now. All the stuff I've fixed in the past two or so weeks were only minor things that didn't took much time to do. This thing here would be more work than I can handle now.

i seem to get a bug on mariposa lvl4 map that game freezes got a savegame just before if You're interested. happens everytime, i just need to purge the location a bit, for example blow up the force fields or kill the robots, and it triggers sooner or later.
Also need a savegame for that.

Back