Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

The mod looks really good, and really just for pushing the NPCs I think its already better than Fallout 1 lmao

Anyway, I wanted to ask about exp reward, can you get to level 18 without grinding like in Fallout 2 ? It was one of my big problems I had with Fallout 1, getting to level 12 and finishing the game right here without a "finished" character.

You can get to roughly level 12 or 13 without grinding with finishing all quest and not skipping most encounters on the worldmap.

For a long time I pretty much skipped all encounters (just ran away), until I realized that almost all of them are roughly 300 to 500xp each. So in my last playthrough I didn't skip any and made it to level 16 with 1 level of the Swift Learner perk, and without consciously grinding (also did not lame it out with the Deathclaws in the Boneyard). I did however wander the worldmap quite a lot just for fun / more than usually necessary.

Personally I find the game becomes really easy at latest once you've hit level 10, so everything after that is really just "because I feel like it" ... One more good reason to use the new tougher mutants option. Brings at least some fun back into the endgame. Even better if you force yourself not to touch the plasma rifle.

Last edited:
@Lexx Having the tougher mutant options set to 3 really feels bit more natural. now the only way to oneshot most mutants are gatling laser and miniguns anyway. I sure do hope You'll going to work with the mutant's proto resistances a bit, like you mentined, as cranking all mutant HP to 999 seemes hilarious. and still a good crit from a minigun could one-shot a 999hp mutant anyways.

Btw, have Avenger Miniguns been pulled from Et Tu or is it just my bad luck that i can't get any from gunrunners?

I never added the avenger minigun because I didn't saw a point in it. The normal minigun is quite strong in Fo1 (with the right ammo type now), and adding the avenger would just be more of the same. The Bozar is an exception, because it looks and feels drastically different (still, I gimped its damage output to not be too much).

One thing always bug me about late game is the sudden death by bursting. Both SM and my own PC. They are a mountain of muscle, obviously they can eat burst of bullets to the face and keep grinning and a'charging.

i felt like the formula for crits were a bit off. When a burst weapon crits, the damage then to be really high, even when the none crit hits barely scratch you. I would like to have seen a formula were each round on a burst had a crit role. maybe like vegas with reduced crit chances. Not sure how the weapon balance mods address burst weapons tbh

Can't say anything about it. By default ettu uses "DamageFormula=1" (Glovz's Damage Fix). Don't know much more than that.

I finished the mod, and by god, it blows FIXT out of the water with ease.

The amount of work put into this mod is soo good, I almost got no words. The games runs PERFECTLY in my machine, no crashes like FIXT and all working as it should and even better! And all those pesky bugs and unfinished things of Vanilla FO 1 and FIXT are no more. It almost seems like the original team made it. I would say is pratically the restauration project of Fallout 1, it just that good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that the game is a little more hard. I died sometimes, since a enemy would seem to have a lot of AP or two turns in a row. Also, even with the best armor, I still was suffering a quite bit of damage in the endgame, Plasma Pistol, Laser Rifles, Plasma Rifles and etc, packed a stronger punch this time around (And I did not activated the stronger mutants). I really liked that. Now Power Armor protects you, not turn you into a god like it did in FO 1 vanilla and FIXT.

The companions in this mod are PERFECT. I do not know if in this mod make them have your perks, but even then, they are more organized, they especially do not kill me or kill other companions in combat with the right configuration, and thanks to the mod, they do not have unlimited inventory space, so no more giving them a Metal Armor though a 2/3 of the game and then trading for a power armor. Same with ammunition, no more almost 1000 .233 ammo for Ian or a lot of shotgun shells. Also, the Mr Handy in this mod is actually useful for something, not like in FIXT where it is so bad, that I decided to kill him every single time. And the fact that they level up just rocks, it really helps, especially in the end game. Now is possible to Kajta and Dogmeat survive in the end game more easily and being useful while surviving :D

The reputation system is quite good addition, though I feel that Fallout 1 was really not made with this system in mind. Even though in some towns I helped everyone I could, I was just liked, not idealized. Only in Vault 13 and Shady Sands I could get this status. And some places you can get the vilifed status and NPCs would still like you (try to kill the Ghouls in Necropolis, having the Champion perk, and then speak with both Set and Harry). You could change some values to make it possible to get the idealized status in every town that is possible to do this, and with the vilified status, at least make the "talking head" NPCs seem pissed of with you, it could help with the immersion. Though, if it is not possible, no problem, just having this system is a thing that I really like.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though, I have three sugestions, if you dont mind.
The first would be the option to have a red Dogmeat, like in FIXT. I really liked that option, it makes Dogmeat more special, not just some dog like every other;

The second is have a option to change the weight of the Power Armor. In FIXT you could have the Power Armor to have a 45 lbs, not 80 lbs (same with the updated version, that had 50 lbs in FIXT as opposed to 100 lbs in Vanilla). And I do admit that it was a pain to pick up the armor to make my companions use it, I have to drop a lot of itens just to pick up one armor beacuse of the weight and then trade.

Third, could companions use more weapons? In FIXT, some companions like Ian and Kajta could use more weapons. Ian could use a Hunting Rifle and other weapons with the rifle sprite (it helps a lot when fighting the Raiders, he destroyed them with ease), and Kajta could use both Laser and Plasma Rifle (she sucked with it, but she sometimes hit hard with those, so I liked to have her with it). In this mod, they cannot use these weapons. Kinda missed that (though, Kajta could use a Plasma Pistol and other energy weapons that use the pistol sprite, so that helped quite a bit).

Other then that. Good job. You worked hard, and for me it paid out in the end. Wating for the next version with a smile :)

---------------------------------------------------[Spoilers]------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the reference of Fallout 2 and the Temple of Trials is just soo well done. Well done. It was that moment that I loved the mod and considered a must have for Fallout 1.

I dont need red Dogmeat. Change it into a robodog is enough. The which is already modded in~ The light on/off feature of robodog is bloody convenient.

You can kinda tweak yourself what kind of weapons the party members can use. It's defined in the config/party_armor.ini file. However, I suggest not to touch it, because if they wield a certain weapon and you give them a different armor which doesn't support that weapon, the game can / will likely crash.

PS: Katja is gaining energy weapon skill points with her level ups. That means, after ~2 level ups you can start giving her a laser or plasma pistol and she will use it quite efficiently. In fact, it kinda makes her one of the best companions now in late game even though she will have less HP than anyone else (just make sure to give her a suit of power armor).

Personally I'm not much a fan of red dogmeat, but making it an optional setting is possible, I guess.

About the reputation system - in my last playthrough I've managed to (I think) get to be idolized in every town location. In some it's easier than in others, though, because there usually aren't that many quests.
The town reputation itself has no influence on NPCs, etc. at all. Enabling it to work on NPCs is no big deal, however, the reason for that not being the case right now is, that this feature would need *a lot* more work and balance testing than it currently got. Town reputation working as in Fo2 would have a huge influence on everything, and for that it's just not technically matured enough. With the last mod release I've added more increases and decreases into scripts, but it's still not enough to make it worth it (probably will never be without turning it into a huge overhaul, which I'm not really motivated to do).
/Edit: Also town reputation could now potentially break quests / dialogues in a town location, just because you did something not in the correct order. That's why IMO it's better to stay the way it is right now.

Last edited:
It's worse than that. The generic Super Mutant has *less* defense stats than a Raider Guard while only having 7 HP more.
PS: The weakest Nightkins have 50 HP.

Wait what, really?! I thought the basic sprite mutants had Metal Armor-tier armor while the jacket ones had Combat Armor-tier. 50 HP is pathetic and having less defense than raider guards is bizarre. Was the guy who allocated those proto stats sleeping on the job? I love the OGs but there's some bizarre decisions there, like how lame laser weapons are because every armor past leather has ridiculous laser resists. Somesort of weird GURPS left-over?

That's so lame. It explains why late-game Fallout turns into such an easy stomp and Fallout 2 mutants are so tough in comparison. So much for the Master Race lol.

I'm eagerly awaiting for your new version so I can play with Super Mutants and more bug fixes. I want to feel like I'm fighting an army of super-soldiers, just like the OG Devs intended.

You rock, dude!

Was already thinking about it. Some sort of "overkill"-mode. It'll be easy to do, so guess I can throw it into the next update.

I saw you're making the Super Mutant HP moddable, that's so cool.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a mode that aligns all characters (say, raiders, gangers, normal civvies, city guards) to HP levels closer to Fallout 2? Everyone in the OG Fallout, with a few exceptions, feels like they are made of plasticine. One or two shots from a simple gun and they die, while the player surpasses their durability quickly. I think upping general HPs to Fallout 2 levels would align things better with the superior companion mechanics.

Btw, I was thinking... does the Lieutenant has any special armor values compared to normal Super Mutants?

I wonder if it would be possible to make a mode that aligns all characters (say, raiders, gangers, normal civvies, city guards) to HP levels closer to Fallout 2?
Of course it's possible, but this is *a lot* work, which I don't feel like signing up to. However, the easiest way to do a change like that is to simply edit all proto files - everyone can easily do that with the Proto Manager. Move the modified files into a new mini-mod folder and done.

Btw, I was thinking... does the Lieutenant has any special armor values compared to normal Super Mutants?
Yes, he probably has the highest resistance of all critters.

Also, yes, the high laser resistance is one of the main issues of late game combat while almost nobody has high plasma resistance. This is why I think that the general game balance could be changed a lot if everyone just gets +10% of plasma resistance. That would probably make the game noticeably harder already.

/Edit: Red Dogmeat is now on the repo. It's disabled by default, though, because for me Dogmeat will always be the gray mud and I just can't see it any other way.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm really enjoying the mod and I'm finding it a blast! I would like to make only one suggestion. Before testing this mod I tested Fixt, and it has a feature that I'm missing. The weight counter available at the bottom of the inventories. It was very useful. It's possible to enable it in this mod?

I would also like to know two things. It's possible to play the game without the engine 13 years limit? And the ability to get Iguana Bob into jail and related reduced prices stuff present in Fixt is present in this mod?

Thanks. :)

Iguana Bob can be reported to the Sheriff, yes. The 13 years limit can be disabled in the ddraw.ini file (search for TimeLimit) - however, considering how short the game is, I'd be surprised if you make it further than 2 ingame years.

Don't know what Fixt is doing with the prices, but the mod is keeping it more in line with vanilla Fo1. With v1.5 all merchant caps will be reduced by 2, though, because there's just too much money everywhere.

Showing the container weight is not something I can do, though I could swear I've seen it already somewhere before. Needs some investigating I guess.

Iguana Bob can be reported to the Sheriff, yes. The 13 years limit can be disabled in the ddraw.ini file (search for TimeLimit) - however, considering how short the game is, I'd be surprised if you make it further than 2 ingame years.

Don't know what Fixt is doing with the prices, but the mod is keeping it more in line with vanilla Fo1. With v1.5 all merchant caps will be reduced by 2, though, because there's just too much money everywhere.

Showing the container weight is not something I can do, though I could swear I've seen it already somewhere before. Needs some investigating I guess.

the suspects of visible Free weight/item space left in npcs/containers is a Crafty's Sfall Feature, although I'm not so sure, if it hasn't been picked up by Mr.Stalin in inventory filter mod. You might want to add inventory filter as a default feature too. especially the trade tabe with all party npc inventories on it is sure nicer than the need to ask your party for stuff to trade beforehand.

Ok, that. Iguana Bob goes to jail and won't be available anymore.

Thanks for the answers. I have a noob question. I read once that the source code for Fallout 1 and 2 are lost. How is it possible to modify them without the source code? Speaking of Fallout 2, are there any mod similar to this that improves the game?

The scripts for Fo2 have been released years ago together with the mapper, which is why we are able to make mods more or less easily for that game.

The Fo1 scripts have been decompiled. This is what TeamX and Fixt, etc. worked with. We used these scripts as a base and polished them up, so that they resemble the Fo2 sources more.

For Fallout 2, check out the RPU and UPU. They are doing pretty much the same.

Of course it's possible, but this is *a lot* work, which I don't feel like signing up to. However, the easiest way to do a change like that is to simply edit all proto files - everyone can easily do that with the Proto Manager. Move the modified files into a new mini-mod folder and done.

Yes, he probably has the highest resistance of all critters.

Also, yes, the high laser resistance is one of the main issues of late game combat while almost nobody has high plasma resistance. This is why I think that the general game balance could be changed a lot if everyone just gets +10% of plasma resistance. That would probably make the game noticeably harder already.

/Edit: Red Dogmeat is now on the repo. It's disabled by default, though, because for me Dogmeat will always be the gray mud and I just can't see it any other way.

Well, I downloaded the repo files beacuse of Dogmeat, though I have a question. I replaced the files in the Fallout 1in2, I did a CRTL C on the files that I downloaded from the repo and them CRTL V in the Fallout1in2 paste, replacing the files that already were there.

Do I have to use undat file to get the MASTER.dat file again to make all the alterations of the repo work, or replacing the files already causes the game to update its files and enable the new options?

Also, you say you disabled the option by default, but in the file the option seems to be enable by default.

; Enable unique Dogmeat style (red dog)?
GVAR_ENABLE_RED_DOGMEAT=1

Should it this part be 0 instead of 1 to disable the option in-game?

Back