Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt Mutant Invasion questions and (im)possibilities

bottfo

First time out of the vault
Hello. Using the amazing Fallout Fixt mod, I have recently finished my first playthrough of Fallout 1 and also attempted a second.

I have mutant invasions set to ALL and default times. From what I understand, this means that the Followers of the Apocalypse will die if you don't kill The Master within 90 days.

My question is: Is it really possible to kill the Master within 90 days without having high Charisma and Speech skills? If it is possible, is it feasible/fun? This is probably why most invasion time limits were initially removed. You essentially have to speed-run the game up to a certain point if you want to save the Followers.

If I had High Charisma, Speech (and Repair,) I could easily get the power armor from the Brotherhood without spending time getting a good reputation and then finding the initiate. I could then easily make my way to The Master, (using the power armor I repaired earlier, if need be,) and then either kill him myself or get him to kill himself.

I'm thinking about changing the settings in Fallout Fixt to extend the time limits. How do you like to play Fallout Fixt?

I don’t play fixt anymore now that I’ve moved on to et tu, but I felt that the 2x invasion gave you enough time while also punishing you for taking too long, like making pointless trips between towns just to sell your loot, or going all the way to the glow but forgetting to bring a rope.

In the fallout et tu ini file you can manually adjust the invasion times, which I think is nice. I tend to extend the start of the master’s invasion by almost a year, then have each town get invaded within a week or so of each other.

Edit: I will say that, while I love the whole idea of the master’s invasion, the fact that it starts with the boneyard kind of sucks from a gameplay standpoint, as that’s likely the last place you’ll be doing quests anyways, and of course it’s where you can buy some of the best weapons in the game. Once the boneyard gets invaded, if you haven’t reached a high enough level or gotten the best equipment yet, you’re pretty much fucked.

Last edited:
I like the concept of the Mutant Invasion myself, but I can see why they took all but the Necropolis invasion out: It really doesn't play well with player agency. The player can't do anything against the Mutant Invasion, aside from actively attacking Mariposa and the Cathedral.

For one thing, you have no idea mutant invasions are even a thing until Necropolis gets invaded.

Compare to the Water Chip, where you can even turn back the timer by hiring the Water Merchants to bring water to the Vault. This is genius because its there to help the player in the first main quest while screwing him over in the second one.

I think it would make more sense if there was a way to stop the invasions before they began, but only after Act 1 (The Chip), while knowing how long until they start.

For example, I was reading the old Vault 13 timeline and there was the mention of a strong-hold near the Hub:

2161: Today
  • The Lieutenant who controls the Vats has taken a more covert stance in the acquisition of new recruits. The Mutants now attack and capture caravans from the Hub and any small groups of travelers. The groups are made to look as if they just disappeared into the desert. The routes of the caravans are relayed to the Lieutenant by the Children of the Citadel who have a temple in the Hub. A stronghold was secretly recently built by the Mutants near the Hub. From here they launch their raiding parties.

Interesting. Maybe it was originally planned to have the player attack mutant strongholds in order to push back or stop the invasions.

Possible?

Yeah that's the kind of thing I was thinking. Fighting mutant strongholds, and holding the mutant armies back. Perhaps have radios play a part here, and being able to use them to intercept mutant transmissions and know where the attack is going to be. The more transmissions, the closer the attack is.

As it is, the whole concept doesn't work I feel, because its too much meta-gaming. The idea of the Super Mutants being a more active part in the game is cool, but I feel that there needs to be player interaction here:

1. Player has to know and find out about the Mutant Invasions.
2. Player must be able to fight the threat and hold them back until he can deliver the Coup de Grace against Mariposa and the Cathedral

Another possibility is being able to hold the invasions back directly, as in, being able to fight them off when they invade.

Also, i was playing today, and The Overseer says something interesting if you say you haven't destroyed their lab yet, but has some leads:

"Good. But hurry, the more time they have to produce them, the harder they will be to stop."

This could also lead to a counter-balance: The player can delay the mutant invasions, but the more he does (and spends time going around grinding or something), the more mutants the mutants will be able to produce, therefore making the fights in Mariposa and the Cathedral even harder. Maybe even increase The Master's own power, as he increases his biomass as well.

(these ideas lend themselves to a larger game. As in, more raider gangs, more locations, more quests and generally a bigger, harder game. Mod stuff, I know)

Back