Fallout: Shanghai

Junfu

First time out of the vault
Fallout: Shanghai

Just put some of my random thoughts about a possible fallout game together, anyway.

- Background

Why Shanghai? Basically, why China? We already knew Chinese bombs worked pretty well on American soil, seeing what the US bombs could do to it's enemy is lots fun, as Richardson said “knock them back to the stone age”. And Shanghai, the modern icon of early 20th century of far east (not today, no), especially for its Art Deco buildings, Jazz musicians(“Rose, Rose,I Love You” by Frankie Laine, 1951, has a original chinese version), multicultural, fairly rich “right” elements to create a typical fallout post-nuclear city. Should it cover more area? Stopping follow a “bad” tendency that limits a fallout game in one pre-war city or so? Well... everybody has a reason, and there is a gap between the “old-school” and “newbie”. If sandbox experience is favored by major players, then city size fallout it is. Also, should every chinese speaks chinese, left a game has to be subtitled? Of course not, they will speak english, like in Star Wars major characters speak English rather than “Lingua franca”(did I mention “Jade Empire”?).

Because the game sets in China, far from the core region, it has few direct connections to previous games, gives more space to create original “stuff” avoid cracking canon in the west. China didn't have a counterpart to the American Vault-Tec experiment, a ghoul rich wasteland will be the result, and that's the essential difference between the two wasteland. Bring tons of new concepts suddenly to a series is risky, so, what will be left from previous fallout: The remnants of American invading forces in Yangtze; FEV creatures, the virus would have less influence in chinese soil, but surely china will offer bizarre creatures for gameplay, not “Yao Guai”, more “Dragon” perhaps. Or, set the story after 2241, Shi may cross the vast Pacific, and join the Chinese Wasteland for fun (really fun for Shi?). Personally, I really curious about what the wasteland looks like not long after Great War, and there is no fallout games so far offering a playable “2077-2161” (Interplay's FOOL, maybe). I'd like to enjoy a more chaotic early Chinese Wasteland, bring intense survival atmosphere back just like the first fallout, and more radioactive wasteland. Still, it's a story about survival. New settlements and factions emerge, slowly rebuild society base on different philosophy. Yet China has the “Red” background, a communist organization try to bring the old value back. Other groups may not accept, since the communism led to a nuclear-apocalyptic. All these provides good ingredients for conflicts.

- Factions

1. The Party

Sadly, no democracy allowed. It's most likely that communist china would not had a suitable plan to preserve whole population after a nuclear war, but for the high-rank communist party member? Sure, they may enjoy wine in some kind of vault while most Chinese turned into ashes or ghouls. Similar to Enclave, this well-preserved party will have much more military advantage over other groups, luckier than it's American counterpart, “The Party” will face easier rival in a ghoul rich wasteland. Like the Unity and Legion, The Party's motive is very clear - reclaim the mainland, but it will adopt more reasonable method to rebuild the empire(I do think Enclave in F2/F3 was too maniac). “Big Brother” sure know how to last after a nuclear devastation, the pure human will serve the inner-party member role, and mutants are fit for “labor” role. For the player? whether a revolution leader fight against dictatorship or an cruel agent of Party.

2. US Remnants

Simply can't afford a fallout game without Power Armor, we really need these American soldier boys alive to bring us T-5x and T-4x. The Yangtze Campaign concluded or not was uncertain, and the fight was surely going on in other part of China mainland. Most US soldiers would have died during the Great War, but some could remained, nice and sound, in occupied Chinese underground facilities or military bases. Compare to the “The Party”, US Remnants will less prepared to a nuclear war. They face choices too, after years of isolation, try to work with locals to get better chance to survive(like the Shi), or continue carry old world glory, fights the “Red”, bring the ultimate victory for the United States of America, you call.

3. Mozi

In the roughly same period of Confucianism emerged, the Mozism raised too, 500BC. Mozi and his organization, in fallout language can be described as a combination of Brotherhood and Follower, a religious group, mainly consist by military engineers and strategists, which believe in universal love and possess advance tech to date. They made Gatling-style crossbow, catapult, fortress, etc. They have a very unusual approach to stop a war: using technology made the defense side more powerful than the offenders, then the offender would have retreated before the actual conflict happened. They used sandbox to demonstrate battlefield to the warlords. Mozism, in many ways, was fairly “western” style compare to other oriental religions or movements, they systematical studied logic and mathematics(good-old engineers), just like the ancient Greek did. After the Chinese unification around 200BC, Mozi separated and declined, “Paladin” part of Mozi became little more than merc, and “Scribe” devoted into logic, mathematics, optics, etc, remove their military spirit, turned into ordinary scholars.

Historical yada yada stops here. Mozi will be a interesting faction in a China based fallout game, 'cause this is the most original instance with fallout-feeling would rise from the Chinese Wasteland. With universal love tradition, they won't have discrimination against ghouls(or being ghoul themselves), other mutants, or even US Remnants; yet still possess tech enthusiasm. They can be a major faction, or potential powerful ally to others, and, of course, player can alter their course pretty good. Compare to Shi, they'll have far more rich characteristic, not a “cartoon” group from 70s Hong Kong Kongfu movies.

4. Other Groups

Settlements, Shady Sands-like, Modoc-like, Junktown-like, Hub-like, or other theme towns making reference of sci-fi or old west(still, a fallout game is America game), and most importantly, keep them kind of isolated, no NCR thing. Raiders? of course, we love violent wasteland. No vaults means more ghouls, so these communities will be mainly ghouls, and a chinese “pure human” is more likely being a member of Party. Sure it will feel different from the US wasteland.

- Game Engine

Well... programming isn't my strong suit, but I do have thoughts about the engine. Does anyone love Gamebryo? …hello? Gamebryo seems like a developer-friendly engine to me, hope somebody proves me wrong. Compare the first two fallout to the recent two, the whole story is pace. Gamebryo may be awkward, but if put fallout into a fine sharped FPS engine, players from first two Fallout games (me) will still not feel so right. A “traditional” fallout fan plays F3 and FNV, just like a Civilization series fun suddenly find their turn based strategy experience became a Starcrafty RTS. Later fans who join the fallout world through Gamebryo ask different aspect from the game, more real and intense FPS experience. “Drgon Ages”, maybe. In conclusion, no Gamebryo or Gamebryo-like anymore, please. For SPECIAL, traits and skills, as long as Obsidian is the developer, it will be continually improved.

Ok... before it goes too long, that's it. :)

Have you looked up Fallout Extreme on the Wiki?

That would have you travel to China where the new Qin Shi Huang got his hands on some ICBMs. Also, could use some Mongols

Shanghai and the surrounding regions would be a nice place when considering the setting and ambiance.
Would be nice if you had a story arc in mind.

Why should ghouls be included?
They aren't a very realistic treatment of radiation and I always thought prolonged FEV exposure combined with radiation was the cause of ghoulism.
It seems to me, in fact, that ghouls aren't very necessary. The Party's motivations for discriminating against ghouls shouldn't necessarily be out of pure racism, but can be attributed to simple greed, or lack of supplies, or a lack of excess of supplies. This might change if you have a plot in mind.

The Yangtze campaign is a very interesting addition. Wouldn't it be an amusing thing to have the concept of Japanese holdouts turned on its head? This is probably the best and least canon-twisting way to include power armour. If it is to be an FPS/Gamebryo game, distance should be treated realistically. There should be transportation available which allows you to switch between world maps, gives random encounters along the way and basically removes the feeling of walking for an hour and ending up across the country.
Think about when you played the DLCs for Fallout 3. Point Lookout had a riverboat trip and you were under the impression that you travelled for an indeterminate yet long amount of time.

Abandoned base POI's should be avoided. You have the right mind not including an NCR-type government and just having isolated settlements. Again, some plot details to make the locations interesting or at least have quests would be nice.

Love the Mozi idea, all the way.

Great game idea. Out of all the people who want a game set in a different location, I think you have some of the best ideas on how to do it.

wow~ I didn't check that, thanks~ too bad the game was never released. well, the story sounds linear and adventure, fairly 14 Degrees East.

to Krinkels

The ghoul case, really, I just want to create an atmosphere that every single survivor is slowly dying, a post-apocalyptic wasteland, not a post-apocalyptic playground. Since F2/FNV present a powerful Republic(and it last!), almost restore a small-scale old world society, and for other group of people, they like live in a big carnival, they created tons sub-cultural stuff and have no regards to the survival fact.

You right, a plot in mind will help a lot, but I don't really have a very clear ideal. Assume The Party and US Remnants are the most powerful force resurface into Shanghai Wasteland. It won't become another NCR-Legion War sort of thing. They may barely know each other, and both struggle at basic survival at first, and if they cooperated with player's help, things will go better; in the other hand, player can also ignite their old hatred, a conflict will doom them both(Modoc-Ghost Farm case).

Master, Enclave, Legion, player can work with them, but all games didn't encourage player working with them, they are “bad”, and this good-bad standard comes from old world, smooth-skin favored, Clint Eastwood favored. The Party and US Remnants can be more “balanced”, no one “better” than the other(both in story and gameplay), only depends on what is the player looking for.

For the Mozi, I prefer to have a quest makes the player become their leader. Mozis are strictly follow the chain of command, so the player will have a powerful tool to conquer the wasteland as Caesar, or helping everyone to survival as Followers of the Apocalypse. Follow different factions route will create different method to “win” the game(or follow/lead them all in the same time).

The plots will be damn complicated, and the game will fills with bugs, which is bad, really bad.

Ok, for the sandbox game world... very true, a hour travel across the wasteland is a quick fix, but randomly generates map between settlements without loading? Just make world map return, it may works, I see people bring this up, well... why not?

Oh, My!
Oh, My!
Did I?
Did I?

Give each settlement map a “edge”, when PC hit the edge and no hostile, game turns to “World Map” UI. Random encounter occurred in few different terrain type generated “middle-of-nowhere” map. Basically, it runs like F1/F2

PS. Hey! are you that guy who made Madness Combat?

You know, I think it would take Chinese developers to make a Chinese Fallout, and as much as I'd like to see one, I don't think the authorities would endear the vision of Middle Nation being nuclear-bombed to hell and back, leaving the Han and all of the other peoples that comprise China to disintegrate and "duke it out". Talk about factions here - this would be enough for its own series.

Incidentally, I think "Fallout:Tianxia" would be a great name for that. You know, "all under sky". A sky that rained spears of nuclear fire...

I took 2 semesters of Chinese history at Southern Methodist University under Professor Shiao-

http://smu.edu/history/faculty/shiao.shtml

What would interest me is if several of their cultural trends would be at odds all over the map. I'd like to see a Legalist group in west/southwest, where Qin originated (Qin Shihuang Di). A Maoist "Red Guard" in the northeast, a Confucian society (new Han or new Tang) in the central plains, maybe Mongols, Xiongnu or Manchus in the North. Buddhists could take over the role of the Followers; as in trying to help everyone's life (Chinese Buddhism is a folk religion). You'd have areas like Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou which were plastered by ICBMS but Xi Liang not so much.

And I like Tian-Xia as a name. Though, I learned it as "All Under Heaven"

In fact, I AM a game developer in China, but, would I submit a fallout-like project to my boss? NO!(not because of Bethesda) Censorship in China is almost impossible for your guys to image, the idea of “post-apocalyptic”, which means Communist Party of China declined, is highly forbidden in any form of media products. Long story short, No Post-apocalyptic Allowed! If you want a chinese setting fallout game, well, ask for an American, or at least a Japanese.

PS. since this site can access from China without a proxy, probably no government agent here, probably...

Back