Fallout 2 mod Fallout Sonora 1.14 and Sonora Dayglow 1.14 Vanilla Translation

Well, I don't think I am in the same situation as you. I am merely 're'encoding the original Fallout Sonora credits.mve.

So I just converted the credits.mve to avi. using pm23.exe, then re-encoded it with the new audio.wav, using nearly the same command as you above: avi2mve input.avi output.mve -w input.wav -old

So no secret really.

Converting a video from scratch is not something I have done, nor is it in my todo list.

yeah. however even this didn't spit out image quality equal to the original. as the image always more pixelated than the originally existing .mve video

Hmm, it worked for me. I checked the resultant video very closely against the original, and it was exactly the same. No pixelation at all.

Been following this for since you made the post, super excited for this! Also, does anyone know if its possible to change resolution for Sonora like you can with Fallout 1in2 and Fallout 2 with patches and stuff? I tried Sonora the other day (just the regular version without any translation) and it didn't seem like there was any files to edit for it

I'm excited too. Can't wait to get going on a full play-through. Fallout Sonora is a masterpiece.

I can only speak for Sonora in Fallout CE, and it is certainly possible to change resolutions there. However, there is not much use, as the map edges are shown when you change resolutions.

Fallout Sonora was intended to be played at 640x480 resolution, just like Fallout 1 and 2.

Been following this for since you made the post, super excited for this! Also, does anyone know if its possible to change resolution for Sonora like you can with Fallout 1in2 and Fallout 2 with patches and stuff? I tried Sonora the other day (just the regular version without any translation) and it didn't seem like there was any files to edit for it

Simply what @Cambragol says, or you could try Foxx's release from rutracker. if You're uncomfortable with running sfall5 ( if it is detected& deleted as a trojan) You caould simply try vanilla sfall, I've attached an adapted ddraw.ini plus vanilla ddraw.dll to a post somwhere in the modding section, not too long ago, you should check it out

Simply what @Cambragol says, or you could try Foxx's release from rutracker. if You're uncomfortable with running sfall5 ( if it is detected& deleted as a trojan) You caould simply try vanilla sfall, I've attached an adapted ddraw.ini plus vanilla ddraw.dll to a post somwhere in the modding section, not too long ago, you should check it out
That would be awesome mate, would you be able to point me to that specific post where you posted them?

yeah. however even this didn't spit out image quality equal to the original. as the image always more pixelated than the originally existing .mve video

Did you use the default fallout palette? I discovered that with this the output is even more exact (at least in similarity to the original Russian mve), and without it the subtitles are garbled on playback.

I also had to tweak the framerate of the extracted avi from the original Russian credits.mve. It was being exported at 15fps, rather than 25fps, which it should be.

Lining up the English translation with the original video pacing is a bit tricky. Ron Perlman speaks a little slower than the Russian dud. Tweaking the framerate again has it all worked out.

So this means all narrations, including the intro.mve, are done!

poster_FS_english.jpg

I updated the first post at the beginning of the week noting that the second, hand pass, on all dialogs was done. I guess that wasn't the best approach as editing doesn't update the thread. So I will announce here that the dialogs are all finished. Additionally, all graphics and narrations are done and in game.

What I am doing now is a third pass to check for inconsistencies in the flow of dialogue, via play-throughs, something that was tricky when just combing though each dialog by hand. The thread of the dialogue is not always clear.

I am looking for a couple of seasoned NMAers to help me put this puppy through this process.

If you want to help make this translation perfect, and are willing to do a full play-through, and report on each and every weird line you encounter, then let me know, and I will get you setup as a playtester.

I'll be in the woods for three days, with limited web access (like I like it), so line up here.

Last edited:
That would be awesome mate, would you be able to point me to that specific post where you posted them?
Should be this post:

https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-sonora.218190/page-11#post-4521615

Did you use the default fallout palette? I discovered that with this the output is even more exact (at least in similarity to the original Russian mve), and without it the subtitles are garbled on playback.

I also had to tweak the framerate of the extracted avi from the original Russian credits.mve. It was being exported at 15fps, rather than 25fps, which it should be.

Lining up the English translation with the original video pacing is a bit tricky. Ron Perlman speaks a little slower than the Russian dud. Tweaking the framerate again has it all worked out.

So this means all narrations, including the intro.mve, are done!

no in .MVE world each movie has it's own palette that's because due to each colour having an alpha channel ( transparent) per 6 bit per colour (a.k.a 5bit +1bit alpha per RGB color), causes the color space to be a bit narrower than 256 colors, hence why Sprite palettes have nothing to do with video palettes.

as for what palette i was using.. due to inability of creating a proper one i allowed avi2mve to generate one of it's own tailored to the video

Should be this post:

no in .MVE world each movie has it's own palette that's because due to each colour having an alpha channel ( transparent) per 6 bit per colour (a.k.a 5bit +1bit alpha per RGB color), causes the color space to be a bit narrower than 256 colors, hence why Sprite palettes have nothing to do with video palettes.

as for what palette i was using.. due to inability of creating a proper one i allowed avi2mve to generate one of it's own tailored to the video
You're a star mate, spot on, proper buzzing for this!

Should be this post:

Hey! Just tried using it with Sonora and it doesn't work unfortunately

Hey! Just tried using it with Sonora and it doesn't work unfortunately
Just to double check, your ddraw files are meant to work with the vanilla Sonora which is this one right? Because that's what I'm using and I get this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-19 160745.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-19 160745.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 55
Just to double check, your ddraw files are meant to work with the vanilla Sonora which is this one right? Because that's what I'm using and I get this:

No mate.. the ddraw.ini was tailored to be used with Foxx's version.. the initial idea was to replace sfall5 which for some folks is detected as trojan and insta deleted by their antivirus software.. i haven't worked on anything vanilla Sonora related.

How the ddraw pack was meant to be used was to patch the FoSonoraDLC.exe with old HRP patcher, put the two files from my pack, tweak it to your liking and you should be good to go.

as for vanilla sonora.. i have no idea never tried it in the first place.. my GPU and or monitor don't support the original game resolutions i guess..

Aaaaaah I see! I tried Foxx’s version but yeah my antivirus deleted the Trojan file. May I ask how do I patch the .exe then? You mentioned a HRP patcher, what is that and where do I get it please?

Sorry it took me so long to answer, but "...one day.. and that day is tommorow, i'm going to attend the wedding of my niece... and I must, squeeze Renesco the rodent to get a proper present from him"...
But to be more serious...
HRP patcher usually comes with some of the classic fallout mods it's an exexutable with a GUI that enables the old HRP. On your place I'd try Fo:EtTu but via github app. And look for it in there. Dunno if patcher comes as part of ettu standalone release, now that sfall has built in HRP...

Sorry it took me so long to answer, but "...one day.. and that day is tommorow, i'm going to attend the wedding of my niece... and I must, squeeze Renesco the rodent to get a proper present from him"...
But to be more serious...
HRP patcher usually comes with some of the classic fallout mods it's an exexutable with a GUI that enables the old HRP. On your place I'd try Fo:EtTu but via github app. And look for it in there. Dunno if patcher comes as part of ettu standalone release, now that sfall has built in HRP...
Hope you have a good time at the wedding! My best mate had his wedding a few days ago! I already have Fallout 1in2 from Github, can't find a high resolution patch thing with it. I do have a high resolution patch 7zip thing in the fallout 2 folder though, not sure if thats it, I'll send a photo
Screenshot 2024-06-21 093404.png

There was just these files in here, how do I use it on the Sonora.exe? I don't wanna unpack the sonora.exe with a trojan in

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-21 094301.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-21 094301.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 46
Back