Fallout 2 mod Fallout Sonora 1.14 and Sonora Dayglow 1.14 Vanilla Translation

It might be easier to just overwrite everything into patchDLC.dat. Do you have any control over the load order of dat files? Or is that the issue? A quick app crash like that could indicate some critical file can't be found. I'm no expert though.

I also found that when expanding dat files, it was easy for things to be missed. I frequently needed to go file by file, folder by folder to make sure everything was extracted.

If you give me a little more detail on what you are trying to accomplish, maybe I can find a solution.
Im not 100% sure either how the app works but it detects vanilla sonora russian or radmurav translation just fine so what I'm trying to do is to pack your translation in a way that the app can detect your files and work properly if that makes sense.

EDIT: Check my bug reports on the previous page so you don't miss it btw how s the progress on the Flagstaff tree check? I'll go see and merging the .dat files.

Last edited:
You could open the exe with a hexeditor and search for 'patch' and see if there is a string for reading patches. Then use the format of that string to name the patch.dat.

As vault editon apparently opens Fallout 2: Restoration Project, Olympus 2207, Fallout 1: Et Tu, Fallout 1: Fixt, Fallout of Nevada (Extended), and Megamod, you could check what the patch/dat naming is there, and mimic that.

Overwriting will not work when merging the folders to build the dat. They will have to be 'merged'. Otherwise files will be lost.

Maybe I should build my own 'merged' patch for patch001,002 and 003. I think everyone is likely using 001 and 002 with Dayglow, but I am not sure on 003.

You could open the exe with a hexeditor and search for 'patch' and see if there is a string for reading patches. Then use the format of that string to name the patch.dat.

As vault editon apparently opens Fallout 2: Restoration Project, Olympus 2207, Fallout 1: Et Tu, Fallout 1: Fixt, Fallout of Nevada (Extended), and Megamod, you could check what the patch/dat naming is there, and mimic that.

Overwriting will not work when merging the folders to build the dat. They will have to be 'merged'. Otherwise files will be lost.

Maybe I should build my own 'merged' patch for patch001,002 and 003. I think everyone is likely using 001 and 002 with Dayglow, but I am not sure on 003.
Idk what you mean by merging so i just extracted from patchDLC.dat and then I overwritten it with 001 002 and 003 in this order. The app launched Sonora no problem but only when the language in fallout2.cfg is Russian, it crashes almost instantly when its on English. Also I started dayglow today.
And if youre wondering why Im going to these lengths even tho I have it all set up on steam deck its because i want to set up a system where I can cloud share the savegame folder and play on my phone when I cant on my deck.

Last edited:
Hey Cambragol, I have a small question, there is one thing I noticed:
In Dayglow's pro.item.msg, if you go to line 44100 and 44101, the item is missing the description, this is the Vault 24 flask, but if you go inside the game and inspect it, it has a description
Do you know where the text for this one item is located? At least in my pro.item file from your patch003 it just says "-DLC"

@OnlyALad

In the patch002, for the dlc, those lines in pro_item.msg are:

{44100}{}{Ancient Relic}
{44101}{}{A container for storing water or some other liquid. This flask is marked with the large number 24.}

in the patch001, for the vanilla game, in pro_item.msg, they are:

{44100}{}{Ancient Relic}
{44101}{}{-DLC}

You are not seeing that?

Idk what you mean by merging so i just extracted from patchDLC.dat and then I overwritten it with 001 002 and 003 in this order.
Well, depending on OS, 'copying' a folder over another folder accomplishes different things. In macOS, I have the option to overwrite, or merge. If I overwrite, the content of the original folder will be lost and replaced with the new folder. This doesn't work for combining .dat files, as we need their combination to be cumulative. So I have to use the merge option, which will overwrite files with the same name in the receiving file, but will not overwrite/erase existing files.

I tried that and was able to build a combination .dat of patchdlc, patch001, patch002, and patch003. It worked right off the bat, after I named it patch000.dat

Try that and if it still doesn't work I will get my version to you, though it is bg. (250mb)

Well, depending on OS, 'copying' a folder over another folder accomplishes different things. In macOS, I have the option to overwrite, or merge. If I overwrite, the content of the original folder will be lost and replaced with the new folder. This doesn't work for combining .dat files, as we need their combination to be cumulative. So I have to use the merge option, which will overwrite files with the same name in the receiving file, but will not overwrite/erase existing files.

I tried that and was able to build a combination .dat of patchdlc, patch001, patch002, and patch003. It worked right off the bat, after I named it patch000.dat

Try that and if it still doesn't work I will get my version to you, though it is bg. (250mb)
Macos merging 5:53 this? On linux I used the write in option which lets me overwrite any existng fil with the samw name. For example I merged patchDLC and 001 where i combined all the files and overwriten any same named files and folders in patchDLC with the ones in patch 001. Also im pretty sure the merging you're describing is default on windows. Could you gib the merged patch anyway cuz Im at my wits end with this thing. And when is the next version of the translation and is there much fixes in dayglow? Wouldn't want to post fixes that onlyalad already suggested...

Yep, just like that.

I am currently doing a tree-pass on Flagstaff. This is a big area so still a few more days/a week-ish.

When Flagstaff is done I will release a new version.

Dayglow is still last on the menu, so play-throughs there are valuable.

Last edited:
Yep, just like that.

Here is a link to the merged file I made: here

I am currently doing a tree-pass on Flagstaff. This is a big area so still a few more days/a week-ish.

Good to hear will try merged rn.

Yep, just like that.

FINALLY it works, just had to rename patch000.dat to patchDLC.dat and it works no problem rn. Is the resolution 640×480 default for Sonora cuz and yes I know it's not made for that but its so small on my phones screen at least Ill try scaling or something.

edit; ok resolution doesnt matter remembered the app has a native stretch to fit option.

@Fic_Mon

Hey man, got a novelty for ya.. You said You're testing Sonora on adroid right?
what version are you using? some windows + x86 machine emulator or FalloutCE?

Cause I've been using Foxx's release with sfall5 from Mr.Stalin.. one funny thing i noticed in ddraw.ini it has:
FO2Android=0

betting my jellybeans vs your $$$ that if you set this to =1 it will work with some android version, feel free to check this out. sfall5 is on GitFlic so either a webpage translator or Russian knowledge is recommended

EDIT:
just made a sneakpeek it's compatible with Vault Edition whatever that is..

Last edited:
@Fic_Mon

Hey man, got a novelty for ya.. You said You're testing Sonora on adroid right?
what version are you using? some windows + x86 machine emulator or FalloutCE?

Cause I've been using Foxx's release with sfall5 from Mr.Stalin.. one funny thing i noticed in ddraw.ini it has:
FO2Android=0

betting my jellybeans vs your $$$ that if you set this to =1 it will work with some android version, feel free to check this out. sfall5 is on GitFlic so either a webpage translator or Russian knowledge is recommended

EDIT:
just made a sneakpeek it's compatible with Vault Edition whatever that is..
Vault edition fallout2.exe is the goat but its unavailable rn on the playstore since last year. Now only people who payed for it originally and kept it or people who got it off torrents that pop up every once in a while get it. Its really good cuz of its great controls no kbm required and inapp settings. Btw do you know if foxxs release of cambragols translation has the latest version cuz otherwise I wont use it.

Edit: It's 0.995 nvm.

Last edited:
@Fic_Mon

no need to make assumptions..

You could easily and i mean *easily* update the translation.. it's just a matter of replacing of both the patch files in mods directory..

don't worry about the hi res edges for the maps when using high resolution they'll be reead from elsewhere ( other directory with russian files has them) and screen edges will work ( since those come as separate files).

at least that's what i did and it worked. although dunno if it will work on non windows machines with sfall5. that is intriguing though if sfall5 works with android it would mean hi res support since Mr.Stalin long gone abandoned support for Mash's HRP, and solely relies on built in HRP. there may be a problem however if your devide does not support pixel shader v2.0 since there is no GpuBlt= running on CPU anymore, with sfall5 pixel shaderv2.0 support is mandatory. FOr example my device doesn't support it... as for that vault edition isn't there a discord where folks maintain the code or something like winlator which replaced 1:1 exagear and pushed it forward?

@OnlyALad

In the patch002, for the dlc, those lines in pro_item.msg are:

{44100}{}{Ancient Relic}
{44101}{}{A container for storing water or some other liquid. This flask is marked with the large number 24.}

in the patch001, for the vanilla game, in pro_item.msg, they are:

{44100}{}{Ancient Relic}
{44101}{}{-DLC}

You are not seeing that?
Strangely enough no, but I did replace the description anyway. Both vanilla and DLC's pro.item files had the -DLC description

You might want to double check the pro_item.msg for the DLC. Sounds like it might have been overwritten by the pro_item.msg from vanilla.
The DLC version should have zero instances of 'dlc' in it.

Quest Nightkin Captain Rescue from BOS Paladins
There's an exploit where if u get to thr nightkin captain and make him a follower -> then you run off to the paladin guarding the cell before the captain starts walking you can choose the option to leave and then you complete the quest because the nightkin captain gets teleported with you.

Quest Deliver food to Bonita Dam Workers
just a nitpick but it says [Glow resident refuses to accept this] and followed by an indicator that the ghoul worker actually accepted food [(4/5) of the clients have recived their order.] I know this refuse text has to do something in NPCS in general when offering them food or healing items but its just double text for no reason in the bottom left box.

NPC Rutger, Dayglow
Floating text when rescuing him after his other 2 buddies.
[Quiet! All conversations will be at the camp.] -> [Quiet! We'll talk when we reach camp.]

Last edited:
Been playing Dayglow and there's 0 typos or mistakes in the writing so far good job guys!
Noice!

Fixed up Rutger as per your suggestion.

As for the other two bugs, if you have a save game near there you could post, I could look at those right now. Otherwise it will have to wait until I make it to Dayglow

You might want to double check the pro_item.msg for the DLC. Sounds like it might have been overwritten by the pro_item.msg from vanilla.
The DLC version should have zero instances of 'dlc' in it.
It looks like that's what happened, because I downloaded the file again out of curiosity and it doesn't have the -DLC thing

Also, there is a minor thing here, in the DLC's YCCnvCrz.msg: it says "Human-ek - foe-ag, gu-ul - dru-ug...", dru-ug should be swapped with "fri-end" or something similar, because "drug" is the russian word for "friend" and I think that's what it means because of the "Human foe" part
I just saw that YCSantEn has the above thing fixed, so it just needs to be copied

There is a typo in YCIsdOil, line 1102: "plemty"

Last edited:
Noice!

Fixed up Rutger as per your suggestion.

As for the other two bugs, if you have a save game near there you could post, I could look at those right now. Otherwise it will have to wait until I make it to Dayglow
Youll have to wait like 5 hours when Im home.

Back