Fallout 2 mod Fallout Sonora 1.14 and Sonora Dayglow 1.14 Vanilla Translation

Hello, I'm trying to run Sonora and I need some help with a crash.

I followed install instructions from Cambragol's github - unpack Sonora, drop fallout2-ce.exe and patch001.dat into D:\...\Fallout_Sonora\, finally change fallout2.cfg language to english.
The CE game crashes on menu - it plays the opening movie, but closes as soon as the movie finishes.
Removing patch001.dat results in it crashing at the start of movie.
FSonora.exe plays like normal.

First, I thought this was due to the language, of course FSonora.exe crashes with any language set other than russian.
However, fallout2-ce.exe seems to be the problem. CE always crashes, language in .cfg as english or russian.

My computer has Windows 11, 16 Gb ram, Intel i5 1300MHz.

Hello, I'm trying to run Sonora and I need some help with a crash.

I followed install instructions from Cambragol's github - unpack Sonora, drop fallout2-ce.exe and patch001.dat into D:\...\Fallout_Sonora\, finally change fallout2.cfg language to english.
The CE game crashes on menu - it plays the opening movie, but closes as soon as the movie finishes.
Removing patch001.dat results in it crashing at the start of movie.
FSonora.exe plays like normal.

First, I thought this was due to the language, of course FSonora.exe crashes with any language set other than russian.
However, fallout2-ce.exe seems to be the problem. CE always crashes, language in .cfg as english or russian.

My computer has Windows 11, 16 Gb ram, Intel i5 1300MHz.
give a screenshot of the sonora folder

Attachments

• FerelSonoraFolder1.png
    FerelSonoraFolder1.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 22
Noice!

Fixed up Rutger as per your suggestion.

As for the other two bugs, if you have a save game near there you could post, I could look at those right now. Otherwise it will have to wait until I make it to Dayglow
Ok The save is too far from the dam worker quest but you can check the exploit with rescuing the captain nightkin. Just sneak up to him get him as a follower, rush to the paladin guarding the cell and say you're leaving. The solution seems like having the script detect if you have the captain in the party and then entering combat with appropriate floating text from the paladin.

Save

That is weird, certainly seems like a CE issue if it crashes either language. A further confirmation could be to rename patch001.dat to patchdlc.dat and see if it runs with FSonora.exe

And/or see if the game runs in Russian 'without' the patch001.dat file present (just temp rename it to patch001.datoff)

Also, which version of the windows CE are you running? There is a x64 and the x86, maybe try both?

Last edited:
That is weird, certainly seems like a CE issue if it crashes either language. A further confirmation could be to rename patch001.dat to patchdlc.dat and see if it runs with FSonora.exe

And/or see if the game runs in Russian 'without' the patch001.dat file present (just temp rename it to patch001.datoff)

Also, which version of the windows CE are you running? There is a x64 and the x86, maybe try both?
I downloaded fresh everything before testing.
My results:
FSonora.exe + patchdlc.dat (fake) + russian language = crash after intro. (first word in intro «Âîéíà», unicode failure probably)
FSonora.exe + patch001.datoff + russian language = function. (first word in intro «Война»)
FSonora.exe + patch001.dat + russian language = function. (first word in intro «Война»)
fallout2-ce.exe (x64) + patch001.dat + english language = crash after intro. (first word in intro «War»)
fallout2-ce.exe (x86) + patch001.dat + english language = crash after intro. (first word in intro «War»)

You may draw conclusions, I do not know how to understand these data.

The interesting thing, is that it crashes after the intro ends. The intro runs well, but it crashes before loading the main menu. So the .exe reads the data, and the modification.

Possible solutions:
1. Changing something in fallout2.cfg.
2. Downgrading to an older version of utilities.
Will check again in 12 hours.

Ok The save is too far from the dam worker quest but you can check the exploit with rescuing the captain nightkin. Just sneak up to him get him as a follower, rush to the paladin guarding the cell and say you're leaving. The solution seems like having the script detect if you have the captain in the party and then entering combat with appropriate floating text from the paladin.

Save
Okay, I have a fix for this. Not tested too robustly, but it seems to handle the limited parameters. @Fic_Mon you can test it with the attached patch003.dat. It uses a temporary line for the guard, which will be fixed in the next version to: "What the...how did you... No one's breaking out on my watch!"
However, don't use that patch003.dat for regular use, as it contains numerous script updates that are not in the translation yet, so it would bugger up your game eventually.

@Ferel_CZ

Try:
FSonora.exe + patch001.dat + english language =
fallout2-ce.exe (x64) + russian language =
fallout2-ce.exe (x86) + russian language =

I gotta say that your situation is very strange. Might also be worth downloading everything fresh, redo in a new location. Something may be broken/corrupted.

Attachments

@Ferel_CZ

I setup the same environment, and I am getting a crash too. I think there may be something wrong with patch001.dat. I will sort this out.

For now, maybe try the full install, with the DLC and patches 001 and 002.

NPC Ghoul near San Yisidro Monorail
When clicked on he responds with the floating text Hello, stranger. after refusing to give him caps. Change it to red floating text, something like cheapskate

Terminal near the deathclaw in broadway station
[Oil in the Gulf of Cortesa is running out.]
Therr's no Gulf of Cortesa it's either the Gulf of California or the Sea of Cortez.
I strongly support renaming to the Sea of Cortez to give it the old timey feel like it was released in the 90's together with fo1 and 2.

Renaming of the Sea of Cortez article

"Deep Throat" description
[A classic film that has become
cult->a cult classic.]

Last edited:
Try:

I gotta say that your situation is very strange. Might also be worth downloading everything fresh, redo in a new location. Something may be broken/corrupted
Fresh downloads for the third time in 24 hours. Results:
FSonora.exe + patch001.dat + english language = crash on startup. (no intro)
fallout2-ce.exe (x64) + russian language = function.
fallout2-ce.exe (x86) + russian language = function.

I setup the same environment, and I am getting a crash too. I think there may be something wrong with patch001.dat. I will sort this out.

For now, maybe try the full install, with the DLC and patches 001 and 002.
Full install with DLC: it works! Full English, finally reached the main menu.

I am happy, to see that you can recreate my problem. That means I am not just crazy.

To quote a guy from the Olympus 2207 thread:
"Okey-dokey. One moment, the setup is initializing. Here - here - here - There it goes... old-service pack works... game is starting... no blackscreen. Hah! It's working! And it looks we have a winner! Haha! [The non-cyrillic readers sighs with relief.] You -- you've saved us. You've done it! молодец!"

Okay, I have a fix for this. Not tested too robustly, but it seems to handle the limited parameters. @Fic_Mon you can test it with the attached patch003.dat. It uses a temporary line for the guard, which will be fixed in the next version to: "What the...how did you... No one's breaking out on my watch!"
However, don't use that patch003.dat for regular use, as it contains numerous script updates that are not in the translation yet, so it would bugger up your game eventually.

@Ferel_CZ

Try:

I gotta say that your situation is very strange. Might also be worth downloading everything fresh, redo in a new location. Something may be broken/corrupted.
Yep it works now as intended combat started with a red combat mesage on the paladin when i got detected while having the captain in my party.

[Oil in the Gulf of Cortesa is running out.]
I fixed the deep throat reference as pointed out. As for the Sea of Cortez, currently there are 4 references to Sea of Cortez, and 9 for Gulf of California.
I am down with your idea to make it sound less modern, but is that really the case? It seems like it has been called both for hundreds of years. I am no expert in this area though. Having one reference would be good though, within game, even though in reality it might be referenced by both.

I will look at the scripting issue with the ghoul now.

Also, that is good that the Nightkin boss fix worked for you. It will be in the next update (script_patch only)

Full install with DLC: it works! Full English, finally reached the main menu.
I guess that is why no one noticed this issue yet. Likely everyone is just doing the full install, understandably. Sorry for the hassle it caused you.

I will have to dissect what happened, but likely something in the patch001 has gone missing, and it is 'covered' by the patch002. I really don't know how it could go missing though.

I fixed the deep throat reference as pointed out. As for the Sea of Cortez, currently there are 4 references to Sea of Cortez, and 9 for Gulf of California.
I am down with your idea to make it sound less modern, but is that really the case? It seems like it has been called both for hundreds of years. I am no expert in this area though. Having one reference would be good though, within game, even though in reality it might be referenced by both.

I will look at the scripting issue with the ghoul now.

Also, that is good that the Nightkin boss fix worked for you. It will be in the next update (script_patch only)
Yeah.. about the Sea of Cortez I was to quick to make an assumption because I wanted to return to playing Sonora asap I'll look into it now more thoroughly.

Ok the more I look into it the more it looks like the locals prefer to call it the Sea of Cortez and others call it Gulf of California so unless I find some contradicting evidence let's just put any references of it in holotapes and computers to Gulf of California nd in NPC dialouge to the Sea of Cortez. I'll look for some more info on it and let's decided it near the end of today somewhere 12:48 for me rn.

Last edited:
Yeah.. about the Sea of Cortez I was to quick to make an assumption because I wanted to return to playing Sonora asap I'll look into it now more thoroughly.

Ok the more I look into it the more it looks like the locals prefer to call it the Sea of Cortez and others call it Gulf of California so unless I find some contradicting evidence let's just put any references of it in holotapes and computers to Gulf of California nd in NPC dialouge to the Sea of Cortez. I'll look for some more info on it and let's decided it near the end of today somewhere 12:48 for me rn.
And if any BOS member mentions it then make them use the Gulf of California since theyre not locals would be a cool detail imo. And any other invaders or outaiders that havent been for long in Arizona.

I am happy, to see that you can recreate my problem. That means I am not just crazy.
Alright, I analyzed the issue, with science!

It seems, that at some point, the MainMenu.frm in patch001.dat was corrupted, and this issue had been hidden by patch002.dat, because it contains an alternate version (with the flag) that was covering up the issues.

So I am fixing that now, and will be fixed in next update.

Thanks for finding the issue, sorry it caused you to pull out your hair.

And if any BOS member mentions it then make them use the Gulf of California since theyre not locals would be a cool detail imo. And any other invaders or outaiders that havent been for long in Arizona.
That is a great idea. I already tried to do that with other terms, such as ghouls/reavers/demons, and a few others.

That is a great idea. I already tried to do that with other terms, such as ghouls/reavers/demons, and a few others.
I noticed, good job. And I made a post asking peole from Arizona about the gulf.
The Thread on Reddit
Seems like mostly what I said but let's wait a bit.

Also I got half a Children of the Cathedral badge after 4 years on NMA and I'm happier than when I got a plat achievement on cod mw 2019.

There's reports of local spanish speakers calling it El Gulfo.

Last edited:
Major problem with many healing item descriptions
Many descs have speed/disc under effects it's supposed to be Healing rate and capitalize effects if they need to be cuz I see a lot of "+xx health" in lowercase.

NPC Random Ghoul, Inferno cathedral basement
[Our people have suffered greatly at the hands of the Norms->normies...]

Last edited:
Back