Fallout 2 mod Fallout Sonora 1.14 and Sonora Dayglow 1.14 Vanilla Translation

Talking about the original Sonora thread, I posted there about modifying some scripts regarding bugs I found while testing the translation.

I should note here that I did NOT include those in the translation. Translation only.

I have released a new version with a slew of small fixes, and improvements to some dialogues in Phoenix and a few other places (which I just played through)

• Fixes for Dayglow naming
  • Changed black prospector to rogue scavenger
  • Aligned all zombie references to ghouls, except in Vault 27
  • Aligned all San-Brahmin references to San Brahmin
  • Fixed a few battery reference to Fuel cell
  • Made several characters (caravaners) say ya’ and yer’ more often, like Fallout 1
  • Changed ‘nuclear scientists’ to ‘power plant operators’
  • Fixed several stray ‘tinker’ references to Tinsmiths.
  • Many small dialogue specific fixes in numerous locations.
  • consolidated signal flares etc. to ‘flares’ or ‘flare rounds’
  • removed all instances of cartridge, replaced with rounds or bullets, like Fallout 1
  • removed … characters, as it appeared garbled
  • improved dialogues of Phoenix market sellers

Find it at the same place: Fallout Sonora

@Cambragol i followed the instructions you wrote but the game crashes when i change the fallout2.cfg language setting in english, but it starts normally when i put russian in language
EDIT: ok you also have to edit master_patches=patch001.dat in fallout2.cfg and then it starts, i would put that in the install instructions though
EDIT2: yeah now the game won't let me save anybody can help? i think removing data from master_patches fucks with it, but if i don't put =patch001.dat the game crashes

Last edited:
WfgZAnM.png

Hi GrizzlyPA,

My install instructions are for Fallout 2 CE on macOS (should clarify that in the instruction), so I have no idea how things will work, or should work on Windows or Linux. However, crashing like you describe indicates that the patch001.dat is not being loaded. Maybe there is a place where the load order is being determined on your system? As far as I can tell Fallout 2 CE loads patch000, patch001, etc. in order, from lowest first. However, I need to check this a little more thoroughly.

Hi GrizzlyPA,

My install instructions are for Fallout 2 CE on macOS (should clarify that in the instruction), so I have no idea how things will work, or should work on Windows or Linux. However, crashing like you describe indicates that the patch001.dat is not being loaded. Maybe there is a place where the load order is being determined on your system? As far as I can tell Fallout 2 CE loads patch000, patch001, etc. in order, from lowest first. However, I need to check this a little more thoroughly.
yeah i'm on windows and i'm not using CE, i used the vanilla version of Sonora and the Expanded version from Foxx, and while your translation works with both of these versions there is the catch that i can't save on both of them.
not editing the cfg just starts the russian version, changing the "language=" in english makes the game crash instantly, while editing ''master_patches=data'' to ''master_patches=patch001.dat'' makes the game finally start with your translation but then i can't save so...

Okay, I tested the load order with Fallout 2 CE and it seems safe to say that patches are loaded in order if they are named patch000, patch001, patch002 etc. I couldn't find any documentation or comments in the code to confirm this from the github repository, but testing shows this to be the case.

So now I have a working install plan for the Dayglow DLC on macOS Fallout 2 CE (not tested anywhere else...)

So, I will release the Dayglow translation as well.
Screen Shot Dayglow.png
As mentioned before, this area has not had as much love as the main game, nor have I played through it yet. So consider yourself a guinea pig if you play through. Nevertheless it should be working, and should have overall decent translations.

Find it once again at the website here: Fallout Sonora

nice i'll try the CE version and let you know
EDIT: it works flawlessly and i can save :wiggle:

Last edited:
Alternatives:
- use sfall to load the dat files
- unpack the translation dat files and put these files under the data folder
yeah i just used the dat unpacker and it also works on the extended version from foxx, of course some interface things are not translated by @Cambragol translation probably for the mods that are added but that can be fixed by using the RadMuravTeam version to translate those.
Thanks guys cheers

You'd have to rename the patch dats i think, Foxx already has patches numbered 001 as far as i remember..

@The_Proletarian
Don't You think this beta release deserves a main page post as well?

Last edited:
Does this translation also work with the Extended release by Foxx?
yes, extract the patches 001 and 002 from Cambragol's translation using Fallout 2 dat explorer into the data folder of the Extended release
or use sfall to load the 001 and 002 dat files, but i didn't use this method

I've just finished Nevada and a good Sonora translation comes out a few days later! Thanks so much for your work Cambragol!
I installed on Windows and the game is working great.
Would anyone know how to mod in the extended save functionality like in Nevada extended? It'd help for me and other players to be able to contribute to improving the translation. Even just linking a discussion thread on the subject would be super helpful. I'm running the game on Windows with the DLC loaded, using the Community Edition EXE as per the install instructions. Thanks in advance!

I've just finished Nevada and a good Sonora translation comes out a few days later! Thanks so much for your work Cambragol!

Would anyone know how to mod in the extended save functionality like in Nevada extended? It'd help for me and other players to be able to contribute to improving the translation.

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it.

I am not sure, but the extra save functionality looks like it is not in CE. That may be an sfall feature.
However, if this is for testing purposes, you could always keep separate save folders, and switch them out prior to loading the game. A slightly arduous step, but should provide unlimited save slots. So far I have been surviving on 10, but I'll probably use this method soon.

Good idea! I've created a folder in the SAVEGAME folder, and copied some saves in there. I tested the in-game save system, and there seems to be no issues with the system with the extra file in the folder. If you want to be extra safe using this method, you could set the folder for old saves to read only to prevent any overwrites, just don't launch the game in admin mode. But of course, that's just being extra safe, overwriting shouldn't be possible - so long as you don't name your archive the same as any of the savegame slots. thank you for your quick reply as well!

It'd help for me and other players to be able to contribute to improving the translation.

Thanks for this too! It'll will really help. I just can't play through every dialogue on my own in any kind of a timely fashion. It requires multiple play-throughs. It's a big game.

Made some small updates to the release. New versions available here. Changelog here.

Been loving my Sonora playthrough so far, it's awesome to finally play it.

You've achieved so much in such a short time compared to other failed translation attempts. Again, thank you for your work!

Back