Fallout: Urals

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by R-Zero, Mar 21, 2021.

1. R-Zero

R-Zero First time out of the vault

Mar 21, 2021
    Hello! First time posting here.
    Lately I've been brainstorming an idea of a Russian setting in Fallout universe a bit, and have decided I might as well show some of this to a good Fallout community.
    Writeup link
    Map link
    Image Gallery
    It's not much for now but I plan to gradually update and expand these.

>But why?
    Just for fun. I don't plan to make some kind of mod or even a PnP game setting, it's just an interesting thing to imagine.

>fAllOuTs oUtSIdE amErIKa dOnT woRK
    Ok.

>Why Urals? Why not Moscow?
    It's not like Fallouts 1 and 2 took place in Washington (or on East Coast at all) either, so I decided that choosing a place somewhat distant from the central areas would correspond to the original Fallouts better. Ural mountains are still a MAJOR industrial region of USSR/Russia, the supposed location of the infamous Death Hand system, Soviet nuclear program development centers and many of its associated Atomgrads, the place where the first Soviet radiation catastrophe happened, the region with beautiful, diverse landscape and nature.
    Not to mention that the whole Central Region of Russia would have been blown to absolute smithereens.

I'll be thankful if you guys take a look and share your thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  2. raynor009

raynor009 Yeehaw!?!

Apr 29, 2012
    landscape might be great but its not something I'd see in a 2D game. maybe unity?

3. R-Zero

Mar 21, 2021
    Honestly I don't even want to think about a videogame implementation, too much work for whoever would want to pull it off. A PnP Fallout setting would be much more feasible.

4. raynor009

raynor009 Yeehaw!?!

Apr 29, 2012
    oh, I missed that little detail. my bad.

5. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 7, 2015
    As someone generally opposed to the notion of Fallout outside of America - I really like this, a lot of cool ideas, and the location is really well picked. I look forward to hearing more about the setting as you build on it, your foundations are great. Though I do have two problems with some of the concepts -

1, tokamaks. I understand the temptation to include them since they are a genuinely Soviet futuretech invention, but I'd advise against it. The presence of fusion in America in Fallout already stretches the lore enough, but it just works due to America's hyperisolationism and since its the most powerful country in the world, but having fusion power present in another country feels odd. I'd advise you to stick to fossil fuels for Russia, and maybe miniaturized fission/beta cells. If you must keep tokamaks, have them as a post war innovation.

2, Mars. This plotline just feels like hats on hats, and is a clear copy of the Enclave plotline of colonizing another planet. I'd say just cut this entirely, it feels silly and doesn't really add anything.

Could I suggest a few concepts for "mutants" appropriate to the setting?

6. R-Zero

Mar 21, 2021
    Sorry for extremely late reply. Life be busy.
    Thanks!
    Can you elaborate on that, in what way does it stretch lore? It would work for me either way, just interested in the rationale.
    I understand why one'd feel that way. I'm not married to the idea, but I couldn't think of anything better to mirror the original Fallout's "vault" system - obviously just copying commercial vaults wouldn't work given the setting (and would be even more of a cheap copy), and if I used metro systems for the same purpose it would be too much like the Metro 2033 series. Dreams of colonizing space were a really big thing in USSR back in the times too, so it'd at least be thematically fitting.
    Sure, I haven't really thought much about what kind of critters the setting would have. Bears are a must of course, two-headed ones would be way too referencey but maybe something like a bald bear variety would work. Other than that, some sort of mutated camel. I'd like to have some ghoul-likes too, but Soviet ones would be cosmonaut ghouls from the orbital stations created by prolonged exposure to cosmic radiation, pulp sci-fi style.

7. R-Zero

Mar 21, 2021
    Added an Image Gallery with some inspirational photos and concept art of Soviet era futuristic machines, weapons etc. Feel free to suggest more goodness.