Future Fallout-esque game NOT set in post-apocalyptic world?

samdavis

First time out of the vault
I didn't know where exactly to place this one as it does relate to Fallout the series insofar as it concerns the type of game that it is (thought it doesn't seem to fit perfectly into any of the sub-forums), but I'm wondering if anyone's heard anything (or has any thoughts) about the potential for, and likelihood of, a game created in the mold of a Fallout or Oblivion, but perhaps set in the present day?

Perhaps something involving a huge government conspiracy or...I dunno, I'm spitballing here a bit. Or maybe even a game set in a more industrialized or cyberpunk future. Like waaaay in the future?

I know ME is the most obvious recent game to be set in sort of a "hi-tech" universe, but I think (no matter how much I enjoyed the game) it's lacks more than a little of the openness of games like Fallout and Oblivion. Especially the second iteration.

I also think of Deux Ex (I know about the new one coming out) and wonder how cool it would be to set a game with the mechanics and scope of Fallout in a world with FTL travel, or mega cities. A game that's maybe got cyberpunk leanings (think Richard K. Morgan's "Altered Carbon"). I expect Deus Ex to be a great game, but I don't think anything has quite the open-world feel of a Fallout and I doubt this game will be any different (doesn't have to be of course).

Something closer to hard sci-fi and about as far removed from the wasteland aesthetic as one can get.

Why hasn't anyone really done this yet?

Well, casual RPGs in the vain of Fallout 3 and Oblivion are on the rise, so I guess there's a good chance that there will be a cyberpunk game, too.
But damnit, I love cyberpunk and dystopian settings. I don't want another shitty Oblivion-esque RPG-light to ruin it for me.
/edit: Also, I think this subforum is about future Fallout games, so I guess this doesn't fit here at all. The General Gaming forum would be better.

I wouldn't like the game if it was set with super-high tech technology or not being set in a destructed world too much since the game is called Fallout and should follow it's name of being a post-apocalyptic game

Hassknecht said:
Well, casual RPGs in the vain of Fallout 3 and Oblivion are on the rise, so I guess there's a good chance that there will be a cyberpunk game, too.
But damnit, I love cyberpunk and dystopian settings. I don't want another shitty Oblivion-esque RPG-light to ruin it for me.
/edit: Also, I think this subforum is about future Fallout games, so I guess this doesn't fit here at all. The General Gaming forum would be better.

I wonder how I missed that one.

Could a mod move this thread to that sub-forum by any chance?

Nuka-X said:
I wouldn't like the game if it was set with super-high tech technology or not being set in a destructed world too much since the game is called Fallout and should follow it's name of being a post-apocalyptic game

No, I wasn't talking about this game being the next in the fallout series. But as it concerns it's mechanics and conventions (the karma system, first person perspective, huge range of characters and missions, etc.), it would be very much like a Fallout or Oblivion, but in a different setting.

samdavis said:
No, I wasn't talking about this game being the next in the fallout series. But as it concerns it's mechanics and conventions (the karma system, first person perspective, huge range of characters and missions, etc.), it would be very much like a Fallout or Oblivion, but in a different setting.

Good lord please save us from open exploration games getting tied to a pointless Karma system where every thief is evil and every assult leads to a city wide gun fight.

I'd be perfectly fine with Karma being left the the Fables of the world and Fallout, TES, and any other knockoffs using a local reputation system, with no magical karma system stalking you character across the world.

Faceless_Stranger said:
If anything, NOT cyberpunk, everyone forgetting that Fallout is retro-futuristic???

Yup, and a change from that would be welcome. But it obviously wouldn't be taking place in a Fallout game.

Again, if a mod could move this thread to the "General Gaming" forum that'd be awesome because it seems that people still think that I'm referring to a new Fallout game having these changes.

Concerning the Karma system, I don't remember experiencing it hampering my enjoyment of the game in Fallout 3, but it definitely got a tad annoying in Oblivion. Whoever (should something like this happen) makes it can probably figure out a better system. Who knows...

My real question, and maybe I should rephrase it, would be how people feel about an open-world (Fallout open, not Mass Effect open), set in a cyberpunk world or something similar.

Something like the universe in The Fifth Element. Again, NOT a Fallout game. But using the same general gameplay framework. Maybe it wouldn't even be in the distant future. Something in the present day.

Just curious to know if anyone's ever thought about it is all.

Well, if we are talking about a fallout game where civilization has been somewhat rebuilt from the ashes of the old world, and where technology is more common place i would love to see a dystopian society ruled by the Enclave or maybe BoS that changed its ideals during some event or a completely new faction.
But it shouldnt be set in the too far future from the rest of the Fallout games, wouldnt want to lose the apocalyptic feel.

^

This wouldn't be a Fallout game. It would use many of the same gameplay mechanics but it would essentially be set maybe on another planet, or in a Cyberpunk Deus-Ex -type setting.

In the same way that Bethesda makes Oblivion.

Again, NOT Fallout.

Back