Gaining a perk every two levels

brandon17

First time out of the vault
Is there any way I can alter Fallout 1 and 2 so that I can gain a perk every two levels instead of three, using a mod of sorts? Because I'm finding it hard adjusting to the perk system.

Well, I'm not a modder so anybody feel free to correct it if I'm wrong, but I think it's hardcoded in the engine. I'm wondering why do you call it "adjusting" in the first place ?

I haven't played through the game before and I think it would just be easier if I gained a perk every two levels instead of 3. That's why I said I'm finding it hard to 'adjust' to Fallout 1 and 2 considering I played 3 and Vegas first.

You'll get used to it. I had the same problem too when I started out, but eventually I stopped caring and just went with it.

It is hardcoded. If you really want to cheat and make Fallout 2 much easier, get a hex editor, open fallout2.exe, and change the byte at 0x2c706 from 3 to 2. I think that will load into memory at 0x43c306, if you'd rather use a memory editor. There's also a hard cap of 36 perks, but you're not likely to reach that.

It should be possible to do this with Sfall in Fo2 as well. But I wouldn't fuck around with it. The game really isn't that hard if you lower the game and combat difficult to "easy" and save every once in a while.

Kanhef said:
It is hardcoded. If you really want to cheat and make Fallout 2 much easier, get a hex editor, open fallout2.exe, and change the byte at 0x2c706 from 3 to 2. I think that will load into memory at 0x43c306, if you'd rather use a memory editor. There's also a hard cap of 36 perks, but you're not likely to reach that.

Ummm, could you rephrase that so I can understand please? Where is 0x2c706?

The struggle is half the fun. Perks are like lollies, too many will rot your teeth, or in Fallouts case, spoil the challenge. :roll:

.Pixote. said:
The struggle is half the fun. Perks are like lollies, too many will rot your teeth, or in Fallouts case, spoil the challenge. :roll:

lol i took that the wrong way im sure. /b/.

Im sure with new Vegas people would of bitched quite a bit if the perk rate was 3.

brandon17 said:
Ummm, could you rephrase that so I can understand please? Where is 0x2c706?
Grab a hexeditor, open the file and jump to 0x2c706 adress. Usualy, there is Jump To Adress function available in any hexeditor.
Still I agree with others, the character balancing is an important piece of fun in BIS Fallouts, do not ruin it like that.

Back