How can I edit the font of Fallout 1?

din2631

First time out of the vault
I want to translate Fallout 1 to my native language but there are some characters i gotta add to the font. How can i edit the font of Fallout 1?

I want to translate Fallout 1 to my native language but there are some characters i gotta add to the font. How can i edit the font of Fallout 1?

this question actually belongs to the modding section, not here..

Anyways, editing fallout fonts is not an easy task, as most of the font programs are incompatible with fallout .aaf and .fon fonts. I personally found some tools for it made by TeamX modders, however they all have their quirks. .fon editor actually only allows for a prewiev in cmd window and has an ability to import certain .txt files to assemble a .fon file.I don't have to add it's command line tool without a gui. anoter tool this time for .aaf fonts allows only to extract, a .txt file out of .aaf, and it's also a command line tool only.
the last two tools i've found are GUI, however one is unable to import font files to work on them, and the other has qustion marks instead of vital text over it's functions. I distinguished only save, load .bmp glyphs, and choose glyph to edit functions. however it supports only ASCII encoding of 256 glyphs, so either You'll do some custom ASCII for your language, or it ain't gonna work.

Luckily I also managed to stumble on an online editor with templates created by users, and someone made custom font edit, that could be saved to a couple of font formats. if you'd manage to somehow extract proper glyphs in .bmp format and of correct size from that, You may be lucky and have the job cut in half. it especially should support eastern europe, baltic states, turkish, and western europe, at least font supports those encodings, so i guess the proper glyphs are thee. I made a couple of small edits here and there to it ( i fixed mostly quote mark, apostrophe, and other irrelevnt glyphs such as "TM" marketing sign), others were perfectly fine. Inorder to avoid screwing letter positions, i'd suggest to import all glyphs for the new font file, as they are perfectly aligned only with each other, but I doubt the same could be said about the new ones and orignals.

here's the link to the online editor:
https://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/bitfontmaker2/

and here is the link to repository of fallout tools containing falout font tools among others:
https://fodev.net/files/fo2/tools.html

this question actually belongs to the modding section, not here..

Anyways, editing fallout fonts is not an easy task, as most of the font programs are incompatible with fallout .aaf and .fon fonts. I personally found some tools for it made by TeamX modders, however they all have their quirks. .fon editor actually only allows for a prewiev in cmd window and has an ability to import certain .txt files to assemble a .fon file.I don't have to add it's command line tool without a gui. anoter tool this time for .aaf fonts allows only to extract, a .txt file out of .aaf, and it's also a command line tool only.
the last two tools i've found are GUI, however one is unable to import font files to work on them, and the other has qustion marks instead of vital text over it's functions. I distinguished only save, load .bmp glyphs, and choose glyph to edit functions. however it supports only ASCII encoding of 256 glyphs, so either You'll do some custom ASCII for your language, or it ain't gonna work.

Luckily I also managed to stumble on an online editor with templates created by users, and someone made custom font edit, that could be saved to a couple of font formats. if you'd manage to somehow extract proper glyphs in .bmp format and of correct size from that, You may be lucky and have the job cut in half. it especially should support eastern europe, baltic states, turkish, and western europe, at least font supports those encodings, so i guess the proper glyphs are thee. I made a couple of small edits here and there to it ( i fixed mostly quote mark, apostrophe, and other irrelevnt glyphs such as "TM" marketing sign), others were perfectly fine. Inorder to avoid screwing letter positions, i'd suggest to import all glyphs for the new font file, as they are perfectly aligned only with each other, but I doubt the same could be said about the new ones and orignals.

here's the link to the online editor:
https://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/bitfontmaker2/

and here is the link to repository of fallout tools containing falout font tools among others:
https://fodev.net/files/fo2/tools.html
thanks, i'll try it out

Back