How to install Fallout 1/2 under Win2000/NT/XP

Odin

Carbon Dated and Proud
Admin
NT/WinXP users can get around the installer by manually installing the game themselves. Note however that you must have at least NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3 in order to play the game. Also, Fallout should work fine but was not tested very much under NT.

1. First, create a folder for your game called fallout1/2 (ie c:\games\fallout1 or c:\games\fallout2).
  2. Copy (CDROM):\program\win\falloutw.___ (Fallout 1) or (CDROM):\program\win\fallout2.___ (Fallout 2) to the folder you created and rename it to falloutw.exe/fallout2.exe.
  3. Now you have four choices, depending on the installation size you want:<ul>
  4. Small Installation: Do not copy anything else.
  5. Medium Installation: Copy (CDROM):\master.dat (318MB) to your fallout folder (ie c:\games\fallout1 or c:\games\fallout2)
  6. Big Installation: Copy Copy (CDROM):\master.dat (318MB) and (CDROM):\critter.dat (150MB) to your fallout folder (ie c:\games\fallout1 or c:\games\fallout2)
  7. Humongous Installation: Copy Copy (CDROM):\master.dat (318MB), (CDROM):\critter.dat (150MB) and Copy the entire (CDROM):\data folder to your fallout folder (ie c:\games\fallout1 or c:\games\fallout2)
[*]Create a text file in c:\games\fallout1 or c:\games\fallout2 called fallout.cfg or fallout2.cfg and add the following line to it, depending on your installation/game:<blockquote>Fallout 1:<ul>[*]Small Installation:
[system]
master_dat=(CDROM):\master.dat
critter_dat=(CDROM):\critter.dat
[sound]
music_path2=(CDROM):\data\sound\music
free_space=0

[*]Medium Installation:
[system]
master_dat=c:\games\fallout\master.dat
[sound]
free_space=0

[*]Big Installation:
[system]
critter_dat=c:\games\fallout\critter.dat
[sound]
free_space=0

[*]Humongous Installation:
[system]
critter_dat=c:\games\fallout\critter.dat
[sound]
music_path2=c:\games\fallout\data\sound\music
free_space=0[/list]Fallout 2:<ul>[*]Small Installation:
[sound]
music_path2=(CDROM):\data\sound\music\

[system]
critter_patches=c:\games\fallout2\data
master_dat=(CDROM):\master.dat
master_patches=c:\games\fallout2\data

[*]Medium Installation:
[sound]

[system]
master_dat=c:\games\fallout2\master.dat

[*]Big Installation:
[sound]

[system]
critter_dat=c:\games\fallout2\critter.dat

[*]Humongous Installation:
[sound]
music_path1=c:\games\fallout2\data\sound\music\

[system]
critter_dat=c:\games\fallout2\critter.dat

NOTE German version:
I just got word from fr33l that if you have the german version you also need to add:<blockquote>language=german</blockquote>under the [System] tab in the cfg file.</blockquote>[/list]
[*]Next install the official patches for Fallout 1 or Fallout 2, it's easiest just to unzip/unrar them into the Fallout 1/2 folder.
[*]Start the game by running the falloutw.exe or the fallout2.exe file.[/list]You might have to enable the Compatibility mode to run the game, to do this:
  1. Make a shortcut to the falloutw.exe or fallout2.exe file
  2. Right click the shortcut, and select "Properties->Compatibility" and select either Win95,98
Enjoy!

In case anyone actually cares...I managed to run Fo1 perfectly in WinXP by simply telling the Setup.exe file to run under compatability mode for Win95. The installation could start and finish without any complications, and then I didn't need to do anything else. It's running perfectly, and even the FALCHE program is working now (which it didn't when I used the installation method mentioned above).

Weird. I installed it normally and it works fine, no compatibility just a humongus install.
I got Win XP PRO SP1 integrated.

My install went fine, but when running the game after the first flash screen I dropped back into XP. All I had to do is edit the Fallout(1 or 2).cfg file and delete the top and bottom entries in the system section. I didn't need to do anything in compatability mode or change any other default settings.

I found out halving art cache(art_cache_size=512) makes it work perfectly if all else fails, I am running XP SP2 patched up to date.
Running FO2 BTW

Compatibility mode didn't work for me.

I wish someone would build a better EXE and toss in some DX filtering routines to reduce the grain.

trouble with screen

I have managed to get FO1 running. The game begins to run and plays through the opening monologue and credits, but when it kicks into game mode I get a really bad color distortion - or just a black/green screen in the middle.

Please bear with me as I am not a very detailed PC guy. I basically followed the instructions you all have laid out here. I am just stuck now.

Thank you in advance.

I'm having a ton of trouble installing Fallout Tactics:BOS

i have an older (but still better then recommended specs) system running winXP: SP2

every time i try to install any size (small medium and big) of the game on my computer i have an error console pop up and tell me

Component: install
File group: install
file : spr-charactor0.bos

it will continue on with the installation when i click ok, and ask for the second cd. and later for the third, but then as it's installing the third disc, the whole installation window just closes, and all the data copied disappears from the location it was installing to.

is there some kind of work around or fix i can use to counter this problem?

Back