Interplay rejects our reality and substitutes its own

Per

Vault Consort
Staff member
Admin
Shacknews reports some information surrounding the Bethesda-Interplay legal confrontation. According to Interplay, apparently they didn't fail at all to raise the $30 million and enter full-scale development of a Fallout MMOG, except they did, but they really didn't.<blockquote>Two days before Bethesda claims that the MMO license automatically terminated, Interplay sent a letter stating it was "in compliance with the requirements" and requesting an amendment so that it could "ultimately launch the FALLOUT MMOG to be compatible with and accessible on both handheld devices and consoles" in addition to PC. Bethesda denied this, contending that Interplay had failed to raise $30 million and enter "full-scale development," as the agreement mandated, by April 4, 2009.

Furthermore, Bethesda says that Interplay never formally responded to its declaration that the agreement had terminated, which invited Interplay to "dispute the forfeiture of license rights...within seven (7) days." Days later though, Interplay filed an annual report in which it "adamantly disputes" its failure to meet certain requirements of the agreement.

Interplay also violated the Fallout MMO license agreement, Bethesda says, when it entered into a funding and development partnership for the project with a third-party, Masthead Studios, without the necessary approval from Bethesda.

Interplay argues that Masthead's project, codenamed Project V13, is not the Fallout MMO. However, Bethesda claims that V13 is a reference to Vault 13, "both the starting location and the the initial working title of the original Fallout game." In addition, concept art for Project V13 contains references to the Fallout universe, such as "Nuka Cola."</blockquote>Not that it really matters, as Interplay would seem to be in breach of contract either way.

Ausir provides the news through spider-operated tube mail.

It's starting to get crazy :D . I wonder why they didn't simply rename the project and didn't start working on their own non-Fallout MMO.

Oh this PA MMORPG? The one with the vaults, nuke-cola and Fallout concept art? No, yeah, that's a completely different non-Fallout MMO we were working on, not the Fallout MMO that we aren't working on anymore. :roll:

I despise Bethsda, but they need to drive the stake into Interplay's heart and finish them off for good. At least some good might come out of this clusterfuck.

That being said I find it hard to beleive that Bethesda would've allowed any of Interplay's efforts to ever get off the ground, whether they were feasible and not damaging or not. Especially when they invoke the cannibalism card.

This is about Bethesda cornering the market, getting exclusive rights, and shutting out Interplay forever so they can pocket all the cash themselves.

Scumbags screwing over scumbags.

haha title fits perfectly
someone is losing there marbles, or is really smart and playing dumb to get their way? O.o

I think I would still rather get a Fallout mmo from Interplay than Bethesda, at least then it would be less like Fallout 3... (starts imagining a Fallout version of a free asian mmo lol)

If Interplay fails with this mmo, and Bethesda reigns in all Fallout rights, won't that mean that no one else will ever be able to make a Fallout game ever again?

Also... Is SPECIAL copyrighted? ex: if I wanted to make a game (online or board based) with the SPECIAL system could I potentially get in legal trouble? *even if i don't publish/sell?

bethesda's harrassing on acronyms is really getting pathetic and annoying... if those assholes keep one going like this, in short time everybody will get sued for having used an acronym that references to something of "theirs".

say, why not changing codename V13 into V8? oh no... maybe some vehicle engineer would sue them... V7? damn, the new microsoft's OS...
utter crap.

Sorrow said:
It's starting to get crazy :D . I wonder why they didn't simply rename the project and didn't start working on their own non-Fallout MMO.
I don't know if they can even make their own game at this point. They had to get Masthead to help with FO, and without FO they don't have much to offer Masthead. I guess they could offer an Earthworm Jim MMO.

Sorrow said:
I wonder why they didn't simply rename the project and didn't start working on their own non-Fallout MMO.
Poor contingency planning. The proposed Troika PA RPG was pretty generic - probably left the door open if they ever got the license or not. Herve was clearly in desperate straits and put all his eggs in one basket. Bethesda exploited Herve's stupidity and gave him just enough rope to hang himself, leaving them to walk away with all the marbles.

so what happened ? i'm not english nor american so please can somebody explain what really happened ?
It seems the Bethsoft screwed things again ?

I didn' t understand fully the situation

:crazy:

Goweigus said:
Also... Is SPECIAL copyrighted? ex: if I wanted to make a game (online or board based) with the SPECIAL system could I potentially get in legal trouble? *even if i don't publish/sell?
Davaris from AusGame dev made some research about it. You can make very similar mechanics, as long you don't name it SPECIAL.
He got away with ripping off SPECIAL, but without L and he even included renamed traits and perks in his commercial game.

Dionysus said:
don't know if they can even make their own game at this point. They had to get Masthead to help with FO, and without FO they don't have much to offer Masthead. I guess they could offer an Earthworm Jim MMO.
Well, they had lead designer of Fallout and one of lead artists of Falllout/one of founders of Troika :P .

I knew that Bethesda devs were using my wiki, didn't know their legal department did as well.

Bethesda claims that V13 is a reference to Vault 13, "both the starting location and the the initial working title of the original Fallout game."

From The Vault's V13 FAQ:

What does "V13" stand for?

It likely stands for Vault 13, which was the starting location in the original Fallout. Vault 13: A GURPS Post-Nuclear Adventure was also the initial working title of what eventually became Fallout.

Just google for "starting location" + "initial working title".

swampcat said:
I didn' t understand fully the situation
Bethesda sets Interplay up to fail, and Interplay took the bait like a starving rat.

Bethesda presented Interplay with stipulations they could never fulfill.
Interplay ignored them anyway and did what they wanted.

Interplay is probably legally in the wrong here. But they are both greedy, sleazy creeps hiding behind lawyers.
It's going to get ugly, and whoever wins, we lose.

Kind of like an American presidential election.

Interplay's pillow attack!

Soon Beth and Interplay will slap each other like little babies.

HAH! This seems like it will be entertaining to watch in the coming months! :D

Also Ausir, if they are using your wiki for information, you should within your rights alter it for lulz.

Yeah, I guess 'legally' Interplay is screwed. But that part that really cracks me up is the "Project V13 contains references to the Fallout universe".

I've never considered 'Fallout' 3 part of the series and always viewed it as the statement above. A game with references to the Fallout universe, heavily stolen from the original games.

Not that I'd ever give BethSoft my money or suggest anyone else does. Even, sadly, for New Vegas. Sorry Feargus!

Oh, so since I bought my (sixth) copy of Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics from GOG do I still get to keep 'em? Not like they can take them back now.

So in addition to the MMORPG they're failing to make, now Interplay claims to have handheld versions that they're also failing to make? Awesome.

Please Interplay why don't you do us all a favor and just die already? How many contracts do you intend to breach and get sued for it? You are embarrassing all your heritage of a time when games where created for and by gamers. Remember your apex? During the 90s?

PS: Yeah the handheld thing made me laugh too. They barely have the resources for the PC/console version... and want to create a handheld version too?

Those of us who know Herve expected this. We commented about Herve screwed every business partner and bankrupting all his own companies. We scratched our heads in bewilderment as to the brain dead morons who would work with Herve, much less give him money, or invest in his crackpot ideas.

Unlike Madoff, Greed doesn't motivate Herve. Arrogance drives him. It controls all his actions, and here we see that play out in loving detail.

Beth's deal was pretty straightforward.
Have $30 million in the bank by April 4, 2009 -- he didn't.
Beths owns, everything fall out related. EVERYTHING, save for letting Herve develop a fallout MMO. Herve sold product he didn't own even branding it as belonging to his company and attempting to delude customers into thinking they were getting Fallout3 not his crappy Fallout Tactics. Naughty-Naughty.

Herve arrogantly believed, as Grande Fromage of Interplay, he could still do as he pleased, the same mentality that sank Interplay in 2004. Time and time again, his arrogance leads the way. From lawsuit to lawsuit, ALL OF THEM, have been the result of Herve doing what he WANTED, regardless of the law or consequences.

I just want this to end. If it's Beth who finally kills the rotting husk of Interplay, so be it.

It's really quite sad watching Interplay get punched around like this. It's like watching a cat play with a mouse for hours before it kills it. Beth, please just put Interplay out of its misery.

Back