Is the Sole Survivor a Synth?

Truth be told, I always hated this theory! Because if it were true, then it pretty much makes Fallout 4's story flipping MEANINGLESS! Now don't get me wrong, 4's story isn't great, it's mediocre at best. But if you're going to tell me that THIS is true, that it's canon, I'm done!
And if Bethesda actually pulled that kind of plot twist off, I would've immediately quit playing.
So much for story investment is what I'm thinking in regards this theory.

Bethesda made sure to drop many clues throughout the game, but what is the truth?

No. Its a shitty cop out from terminal Bethdrones who always have to mental gymnast some 2deep4u 6D chess to explain Bethesda fuck ups, shortcomings and outright being a bunch of lazy fucking cunts.
Same with Jet in pre war shit, Enclave/Muties/BoS on the East Coast, entirety of F76 etc.

That idea is just a parody of the first Blade Runner. Was Dickard a replicant. Do androids fuck electric sheep?
Was god a psychonaut?

Nah man, I agree with what @Canaris said, it would've been an awful plot twist if that were the case!
Awful? Compared to what was in the game already? Nah.

It would actually make the player in F4 different than all the other retards we play as which are starting to run together. Mark my words Beth will make a change like this soon because they loved doing that shit with Skyrim. You will either be a ghoul or a robot or a psyker.

Its not the question of "would it be good or bad", its a theory born purely out of a mechanism typical for bethdrones - they always take something that is a Bethesda fuck up or something they simply didnt care enough and turn it into 2deep4u 6d chess deep lore zomg fridge brilliance.

In this case Bethesda simply didnt gave a single flying fuck about making cohesive and compeling pre war segment. They just glued together something appealing to their ADHD audience and clueless gaming journos - lots of empty feels about muh family plus lots of running, shouting and explosions. Then someone took that obvious case of Bethesda being lazy cunts and fucking turned that into some "hurr durr SS is a synth because look how brief the pre war moment is almost like its fake and artificial" dumbass theory.
They did the same with Enclave/SM presence in DC, Jet looking like Myron creation despite being on the opposite coast and often locked in a pre war safe, entirety of Railroad ( including the fucking password shit which i will never fucking stop ranting about ), stilted SS voice ( instead of VA doing shit job and bethsda not correcting him/her - muh ptsd ) and lots of other things.
They did it in Skyrim and F3 - every Bethesda fuck up is simply a fuel to launch some braindead essays where people try to dig up a ten meter deep fallout shelter in a god damned shallow sandbox for kids to excuse developers simply being lazy shits.

If ' The Railroad ' were on that soul train they would get up offa dat ting and travel to motown.

The synths would be OMD and would work for Kraft. A flock of seagulls would fly above the trans Euro express.

Its not the question of "would it be good or bad", its a theory born purely out of a mechanism typical for bethdrones - they always take something that is a Bethesda fuck up or something they simply didnt care enough and turn it into 2deep4u 6d chess deep lore zomg fridge brilliance.

In this case Bethesda simply didnt gave a single flying fuck about making cohesive and compeling pre war segment. They just glued together something appealing to their ADHD audience and clueless gaming journos - lots of empty feels about muh family plus lots of running, shouting and explosions. Then someone took that obvious case of Bethesda being lazy cunts and fucking turned that into some "hurr durr SS is a synth because look how brief the pre war moment is almost like its fake and artificial" dumbass theory.
They did the same with Enclave/SM presence in DC, Jet looking like Myron creation despite being on the opposite coast and often locked in a pre war safe, entirety of Railroad ( including the fucking password shit which i will never fucking stop ranting about ), stilted SS voice ( instead of VA doing shit job and bethsda not correcting him/her - muh ptsd ) and lots of other things.
They did it in Skyrim and F3 - every Bethesda fuck up is simply a fuel to launch some braindead essays where people try to dig up a ten meter deep fallout shelter in a god damned shallow sandbox for kids to excuse developers simply being lazy shits.
Exactly what I was thinking! When it comes to people giving Bethesda a pass for any of their mediocre( >>> trash) writing, it makes Bethesda think what they're doing is a good thing, so that inevitably makes their future titles even more crappy than before. And people wonder how and why it got to this, a vicious cycle!

:-?

I think Nate/Nora is a Synth despite it being a retcon from Far Harbor. Why? Because it explains why Nate was left alive when Kellog killed the rest of his Vault. It also fits Father's insane parent issues that he'd make a Synth replica of his father to raise his replica of himself.

Because it explains why Nate was left alive when Kellog killed the rest of his Vault.

I don't think anything can feasibly explain why an entire Vault of pre-war Vault Dwellers were left to die while Shaun and the PC were left alive. It's one drop in the ocean of unexplainable contrivances in this game.

However I did like the idea of the main character being a synth before that went absolutely nowhere.

I don't think anything can feasibly explain why an entire Vault of pre-war Vault Dwellers were left to die while Shaun and the PC were left alive. It's one drop in the ocean of unexplainable contrivances in this game.

However I did like the idea of the main character being a synth before that went absolutely nowhere.

I mean they needed fresh DNA and didn't give a shit about anyone else being alive. The Institute is supposed to be evil but they rarely explain WHY they're being evil. I mean, if they're just interested in "we want a bunch of sexy android slaves and live nice underground" that's fine but just say that.

I actually did hear a semi-reasonable argument for this: They wanted to preserve someone with DNA similar to their main subject (Shaun). If all of the Vault's resources are split between all of the cryopods, there's a greater chance of system failure, whereas if you devote all of the Vault's resources to one cryopod there's a better chance that they'll persist.

Of course the writer's didn't really think of this, and the explanation isn't that satisfactory. Why, for example, would you preserve only one backup, and one so similar to your main subject? What if they shared a similar genetic defect? Like... say... having their DNA irradiated by visually witnessing an atomic bomb exploding (which should have ruined the Institute's plan altogether but whatever). Wouldn't it be better to preserve a random sample of like... 5 people? Or couldn't you have just taken more people with you to the Institute? Or couldn't you have taken sammples of their DNA before killing them? ETC, ETC.

I mean they needed fresh DNA and didn't give a shit about anyone else being alive.

That sentence alone is contradictory as the Vault held some of the best pool of intact pre-war fresh DNA you'll ever find in the wastes.

The Institute is supposed to be evil but they rarely explain WHY they're being evil. I mean, if they're just interested in "we want a bunch of sexy android slaves and live nice underground" that's fine but just say that.

Yeah its such a nonsense faction its almost comical.

I actually did hear a semi-reasonable argument for this: They wanted to preserve someone with DNA similar to their main subject (Shaun). If all of the Vault's resources are split between all of the cryopods, there's a greater chance of system failure, whereas if you devote all of the Vault's resources to one cryopod there's a better chance that they'll persist.

I have to wonder why they didn't just make an outpost out of Vault 111 then and maintain the facility holding numerous fresh subjects and just teleport them as needed for their experiments.

Of course the writer's didn't really think of this, and the explanation isn't that satisfactory. Why, for example, would you preserve only one backup, and one so similar to your main subject? What if they shared a similar genetic defect? Like... say... having their DNA irradiated by visually witnessing an atomic bomb exploding (which should have ruined the Institute's plan altogether but whatever). Wouldn't it be better to preserve a random sample of like... 5 people? Or couldn't you have just taken more people with you to the Institute? Or couldn't you have taken sammples of their DNA before killing them? ETC, ETC.

The Institute gives me a headache man.

I have to wonder why they didn't just make an outpost out of Vault 111 then and maintain the facility holding numerous fresh subjects and just teleport them as needed for their experiments.
This is a good point too: The Institute does occupy several locations of technological interest throughout the Commonwealth, I don't see why Vault 111 couldn't be among those.

To be generous to the game - Since they got Shaun out of the Vault ~60-70 years ago, it's possible they weren't yet occupying locations and that's more a recent development.

That sentence alone is contradictory as the Vault held some of the best pool of intact pre-war fresh DNA you'll ever find in the wastes.

Yep and they wanted a guy to donate his skin, not a breeding stock.

It's horrifically wasteful and evil but the Institute is a bunch of people who don't consider anyone outside of their Vault to be human. It's rare you can find a justification for a horrific bunch of evil deeds that people do just because they feel like being assholes.

The thing about the Institute is that it's not that I don't BUY them being evil or doing their awful things. It's just that they don't bother explaining their broader ideology that justifies it. It doesn't have to be complex. A Bond villain is motivated by being extraordinarily rich by doing crime. But I don't see how 90% of their shit serves any purpose.

Like, I get why you'd want a Super Mutant army.

Why release them on the surface? Just to fuck with people? If so, say that.

Back