Fallout 2 mod Last Hope mod V1.081

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Forgotten Knight, Oct 9, 2006.

What do you like about this mod?

1. Quests

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Locations

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Both quests and locations

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  4. I'm new to RPG concept, i have no idea what i'm doing but i like it!

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Muttie

Muttie It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 9, 2017
    It is possible to use RP's sfall (3.3) with Last Hope and the highlight-button works (in that case it doesn't require the highlight script apparently.) (I only do this to check a single map (shovel & book). Once done, I go back to LH's sfall before continue playing). Also the unique feature of RP that it requires a Motion Sensor for the highlight button to work functions properly (btw).

Personally, I'm really split on this. I don't like searching for quest items, but having hidden treasures is actually very cool, and having them spoiled by a highlight button is rather less fun. (I think only hidden crates would still work, but it offers not as many options as hidden items does). I think the problem lies with quests items as the player has to find those and keeps looking for them (that's when it becomes frustrating), while optional items (treasure) are only a bonus (and it doesn't matter how well they are hidden). In fact, it's an entire feature that would be lost when using the highlight button.

It would be nice to have a compromise, like toggling “highlight items” on/off (and set it to off on default) but that doesn't seem to be possible in sfall (?). Or to assign it a hotkey that is out of the way (not the same as running) so that using it will be more deliberate (idk, what is the worst button to press on the keyboard?) (ctrl+H may suck ;)). Either way, I feel this mod needs to find a compromise as not to lose a feature.

I mean the hidden stuff I found (optional non-quest items) were really fun map design (dynamite and molly-crate, for example) and I would like to keep that.

If all fails it may also work to give more hints for the quest items (i.e. their location in dialogue (especially the Oldie (shovel) may mention the “large field” as it's not obvious that it belongs to him) or to make quest items less hidden, but leave the “treasure” as is.

EDIT: I know I can set running to „always“, I just prefer not to. Although, that's probably what I would have to do. Still, I'm not sure if the highlight button should be „convenient“. Bad idea, probably. But when it's a feature [hidden items], perhaps usage [of the highlight-button] should be somewhat discouraged (kind of).
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Last Hope didn't had that feature [highlight-button] disabled I never would have made the experience.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil First time out of the vault

May 5, 2019
    Could someone possible make a guide on you for us less educated in game mods on youtube

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. Forgotten Knight

Forgotten Knight Time traveler stuck in time... Modder

May 24, 2006
    Walkthrough coming soon, stay tuned.:salute:

4. Doctor Evil

May 5, 2019
    So any news about the guide I ask for or is that not very high on your list right now

5. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    That's an incredibly awesome news.
    I wanted to write such a walkthrough, but it will be probably a couple of years before i get the time to do so.

That mod 100 0000 % needs more coverage, but it also need tools to help new players.

6. Doctor Evil

May 5, 2019
    What I was talking about is that could some one make an guide for how to download it, possibly an youtube

7. rahowa

rahowa First time out of the vault

Jan 5, 2018
    stuck in the prison
    talked to the guy, paid him and he told me everything yet i can't hand the quest in. what do i do?

8. Hubal

Hubal It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 11, 2014
    Talk to the guy behind yellow fence/barrier.

9. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    Hello,
    There's another guy you need to find, inside the building with prison cells, see the picture below.
    upload_2019-5-24_20-48-38.png
    Accept to help him and report back to administrator. Please save in case dialog goes wrong.
    Edit: Thanks for answering, added a picture just in case.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  10. rahowa

rahowa First time out of the vault

Jan 5, 2018
    Thanks. Are there any news about the walkthrough? I traveled to the end of the world map and only found 1 location, no idea how to do the initial quests after leaving the prison... I don't remember the original games being this hard to figure out. Also my game runs with intermittent slowdowns so it takes forever to world travel for some reason.
    The same slowdowns happen in map locations, searching around hasn't shown any kind of solution.

11. Muttie

Oct 9, 2017
    After leaving the prison you should have one location on the map (Miners Town). Which can put another on the map. When you travel you should find 3 places (Philton (west-coast), Golden Valley (north-east) and Lost City). And MRC should already be visible too.

Not sure what you mean with initial quests.
    If this is about the escaped prisoners, then your first stop is Miners Town and talk to the guardian from the prison. The administrator adviced to use the motion sensor (which should give a clue) and it may be a matter of time (needs to be night I believe).

The best tip I found is to become aware that NPC's will adjust with game advancements. So a character who would not talk now (and only gives off floaters), may start talking later after a certain condition has been met. That's a bit unusual. But other than that it's fairly similar to the original mechanics of classic Fallout. It should be possible to figure it all out.
    EDIT: Game-play wise I can also add that it seems as if the main concept is to travel in “4-months-circles”. I think the player can make a complete round trip in 4 months, report back at the prison and do another round trip. And the number of fetch & catch quests play into that. I think routing, travelling and kind of playing all locations at once is how the mod is supposed to be played. I also believe the best place to start this trip is by going to Philton after Miners Town, and I think that obj_dude should reveal Philton (10) and not the MRC (11, which is not revealed by anything else atm (I think), however, Justin (Duntown) may reveal it instead the UMB)). Philton is kind of the Hub of the game and it opens almost everything else.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  12. Guardian83

Guardian83 First time out of the vault

Jan 3, 2019
    Hi! Where can i download this mod? Is it worth trying this mod?

13. Guardian83

Guardian83 First time out of the vault

Jan 3, 2019
    I downloaded latest version, copied the files to clean Fallout 2 installation (Gog version), but when i start new game, immediately crash

14. _Pyran_

_Pyran_ First time out of the vault

Jan 31, 2017
    Try to installer (1.82.2)
    - default insalled to subfolder mode (..\games\fallout 2\last hope)

15. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    I found a to my knownledge not yet reported bug in my latest playthrough:
    The Script for the Duntown Waste Disposal Problem is assigned to Brian, but the Text for it is in the Dialogfile for Leonard, which results in a corrupted Dialogue for Brian after speaking to Brian when the Problem is found out. Oh, and while at it, the disablable Forcefields on that Level have that classic "One Time disableable but active again and nondisableable after Savegame loading" Bug.

And I have to say, I still had to occasionally redeem my enemy of Minerstown status to nil, because the Mantis are stil not counted correctly and going on invisible raids even when the cave is cleared.

Oh, and if I have to nitpick a bit: I personally find the 4 months timelimit (even when extended once) to be quite challenging to make everything in good time, without knowing where to go first...

I really hope your find the time to polish it further, because it is is quite a nice mod and coming along nicely, even if your choices for storyprogression can sometimes be a bit strange ^^"

16. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm interested in story progression you mentioned, which part did you find non consistent, is there something i can add or alter? I will address the issues you mentioned as i dive deeper into the mind of John Mal... ehm author's alter ego. About 4 month limit, ddraw.ini has some world map travel settings which affect time passage, what time limit would you suggest? Mantis raids, by invisible do you mean people are still talking about it after mantis are gone?

17. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    Regarding Mantis Raids: No, I killed them all (outside and in the cave) but the variables still count 28 Mantis in the Cave and the raids are still going on, the people thanked me for getting rid of them, but after some time they stil got hostile because of the "should not quite be happening anymore but still do" raids

Regarding time limit: I guess that could be a bit on my side, because I tend to do ALL quests before finishing a game (didn't even know that you could play after the finishing the main quest in your mod, lol), will do another run just doing the main quest and report back.

That beeing said, I would be nice to have some kind of reminder of the return date, like for instance in Fallout 1, or a maybe a log message that pops on at the 1 month/2 weeks left point, but since you even hid the pipboy I guess that is a bit to direct for your taste? ^^

Well for instance, I am not quite clear what (side) quest (or other things like visiting settlements, etc) triggers the Head of the Slavers to give you his scouting mission of Silting (Don't know any other way to get it on the map, or is there any?). Just got that as the last mission after everything else. But since I could not resolve the quest for him to scout them out, I just killed them all and went my ways. ^^"

It seems to me that the quest can easily be missed if one does not talk with everyone about everything anytime one visits a settlement, and as visiting Stilting is important (because a specific person will not appear beforehand in Canville) one could easily getting whoopas over and over again from the prison chief without getting anywhere further in the game.

I don't know, maybe put some more rumors in Philton about the fugitives: ("I've seen some people matching your description having a suspiciously long talk with the Head of the Slavers and a large sum of money exchanged hands. I guess they went to buy some slaves, but where not satisfied with the local stock..."). I might have missed something like that, but I doubt it ^^"

If I remember correctly the only hints that one gets point to Miners, Philton and then Canville. So I find there are in general a bit too few hints about the whereabouts of Scott and his Gang, and I felt I was more or less randomly stumbling through the wastes, finishing quests just to have a chance that somewhere along the line I would somehow progress with the main story.

That of course cost me quite a lot of weeks and months running multiple times between the settlements and speak with everyone to see if they got new quests (without knowing if the quests would be even cruicial to the main story ofc), which cost me more than a few dozen of angry jailtime before simply editing my ingame date and looking over the quests lists and scripts in the editor ^^"

The Papers from the front guard are identified as "Dead Deathclaw" and will not trigger the "Get info about prison security" for the Engame when siding with Scott. Could be it bugged because I stole them at the start of the game from him but will check that on the next run.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  18. Muttie

Oct 9, 2017
    Time-limit:
    I think it's necessary to write down the date when reporting to the administrator for another 4 months. Then count four months and subtract about 5 days. And when travelling I found that one square is roughly 1.3 days.
    And it is possibly to circle all around the map in 4 months. It just doesn't allow a lot of back and forth (e.g. between Duntown and Golden Valley).
    Anyway, that helped me to manage when I have to head back for another report/4 month extension.

Slaver:
    Like many quests/dialogues they are unlocked by town rep (and sometimes events). And Jonathan is the only one to put Silting on the map. That's something that could be expanded. I think there is an issue by revealing locations by more than one person (I had that cause issues: MRC got repeatedly set back to “undiscovered” with every load (obj_dude?), and places that are put on the map by two NPCs, can be set to “undiscovered”, too, this way), but there is also one NPC who does that without issue (Nick in Philton).
    Regarding the Security Codes and Dead Deathclaw.
    That's an error in pro_item.msg (wrong name and description). However when fixing it it also changes the dead deathclaw (name & description), probably as that item has been assigned the wrong ID number (the papers (584, I think?) and not 604).
    However, both items should function properly in-game. At least the papers did adjust my dialogue options with Scott.

19. fallout[12]enthusiast

fallout[12]enthusiast First time out of the vault

Jul 22, 2019
    I can't figure out how to refill the 'empty bottle's with water - I tried everything, wells, the watertank in miners town, and the spring in the mantis cave. I bought two flasks in the shop and the condition 'THIRSTY' disappeared for a short while - but now they're gone and the shop sold out all water and the condition appeared again - what exactly must I do to drink from wells and/or refill empty bottles?

20. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    Empty bottles are quest items, limited edition, atm they can't be refilled. Description says they could so i should definitively do something about it. Wells, water tanks, springs don't work as intended, this needs some attention as well. Some merchants will get more drinking water supplies. I'll see to get these included in the next update.