Fallout 2 mod Last Hope mod V1.081

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Forgotten Knight, Oct 9, 2006.

What do you like about this mod?

1. Quests

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Locations

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Both quests and locations

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  4. I'm new to RPG concept, i have no idea what i'm doing but i like it!

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. earthdude

earthdude First time out of the vault

May 11, 2008
    [spoiler:946e7a3bc4]Amazing, somehow I must have explored that tent only after hours.
    Also, I did kill Mr. Basil and solved that quest. It seemed like, however, that there might have been another way to do it without having to kill him? Just what the Sheriff said when he gave me the task to watch Mr. Basil. FK?[/spoiler:946e7a3bc4]

Question on another quest:
    Watch stuff for Dr. Fred while he's away. Dr. has left and come back... I'm still waiting after 30 minutes of game time. Everytime I click on him I get "I'm busy." or "Watch my stuff!" How long am I supposed to wait?

Some bugs...
    1. When I get the unarmed fighting quest from Eric in Philton, the dialog screen stays up, but all dialog options disappear and there is no way to get out. Only thing that works is quitting the game. If you reload a previous save, the scene is stuck on that dialog screen with Eric, although the status bar at the bottom is present. Quite weird, eh?
    2. I have experienced random crashes in other places. Once while trying to lockpick Joe's shed and once while passing the cursor over a guy in a bar (the one where the bartender always says they have nothing to sell in Golden Valley). The latter didn't happen again after a reboot.
    3. Bandits in the wasteland give the "Error" dialog on occasion.

2. jmarsh07

jmarsh07 First time out of the vault

Apr 22, 2007
    Can't find mirx

Hi,
    Need another hint. Just spent about 2 hours going all through the old hotel areas, killed all gang members, killed slavers, released slaves, been down well (after doing beer quest), searched every inch of both old hotel areas (I think) & still have 2 problems:
    1- can't find a way in to the rear of the gunshop. ( saw the sewer cover inside, can't find another underground entrance to access this)
    2 - can't find Mirx to end the quest that the sheriff of miners town gives you. Been all through the motel and killed all gang memebers that were there - upstairs, downstairs and the ones outside.

Thanks for any help, I know I've probably just missesd something simple.

3. Knedlik

Knedlik First time out of the vault

Jan 29, 2009
    Re: Can't find mirx

1. there aint any way to get in, just to provoke you
    2. [spoiler:324978ff95] first you need to go to guard and tell him youre mercenary looking for job, he will take you to Mirx. Unfortunately, there is no other way author made it as special location and in cannot be reached by exit grids, killing people at the beginning wont help[/spoiler:324978ff95]

4. Knedlik

Jan 29, 2009
    Basil´s another solution is not confirmed yet and seems it is not possible at this stage. Most of the quest have exact one way of resolution. Maybe author will intend/invent that for the future.
    1. yes, error, even though it was reported, seems bug remained the same. (do you use vs1.04?)
    hope Knight will shows up soon. :roll: :crazy:

5. earthdude

May 11, 2008
    Yes, I use v1.04. Last night I completely wiped out my installation of F2 and LH mod and reinstalled it. Still get the same problem with taking the unarmed combat quest.

At this point I can't really proceed as Canville crashes the second I get there. Only other place I haven't been to is MRC, but I think I learn about that through Dr. Fred in Golden Valley. I am stuck in the "watch my things" quest as I noted above. I shall patiently wait for the great FK to shed some light on these things?

6. Forgotten Knight

Forgotten Knight Time traveler stuck in time... Modder

May 24, 2006
    It's good to be back :mrgreen: , let me see now...

&
    Eureka, dat packer messed up the whole thing!!!extract files from LHmod.dat to your \Fallout2\data folder and set all files to read only. 8-)
    This might solve Canville problems as well, so folks, give it a try. :clap:

&
    [spoiler:2a5f963ac6]Usually there's only one way to solve the quest and that means, the one who gives the quest usually(read always :mrgreen: ) has to stay alive so the quest could be completed. 8-)[/spoiler:2a5f963ac6]

7. earthdude

May 11, 2008
    Sorry, not sure how to extract files from LHmod.dat.... I'm copying it (LHmod.dat) to /data as a whole and setting it read-only. :scratch:

8. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    earthdude, try downloading this utility. Extract this util, open dat and select extract/extract all files to... :ok:

9. earthdude

May 11, 2008
    That worked. It fixed the "watch stuff for Dr. Fred" quest. However, does not fix the problem with Eric's boxing quest and Canville is still crashy. Extremely crashy.

Quest hint needed: how do I get below the first level of UMB? Tried blowing up the rocks at the entrance to the room to get to the elevator, but to no avail. There is also a building to the left as one enters the sealed off area that has no apparent door.... It may be invisible and I wasn't able to locate it.

10. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    [spoiler:1e85c3f41c]You can't get to the elevator. About that sealed area:

South door, you can open with with a key card.
    East door, you can open it, no keys needed.
    West and north doors are not passable. [/spoiler:1e85c3f41c]

11. earthdude

May 11, 2008
    [spoiler:f536d47a2d]My question then is... are there other accessible levels of UMB? If so, how do I get to them? I've also been down to the level with the robots in the far SE corner, but no way further down there either.[/spoiler:f536d47a2d]

Bugs aside, this is a great mod. Truly an impressive feat for a single person. :clap:

12. Knedlik

Jan 29, 2009
    UMB has only one underground level containing two stairs entrance so 1 level divided in to two parts

13. earthdude

May 11, 2008
    Ahhh, OK. Seemed like it might have more levels. I spent a long time trying to figure out if there was another way down. Doh!

Bug report (may have been reported already): When giving Nick the tires, the dialog exits immediately after I click "About that job..." So, can't complete that quest.

14. Muznick

Muznick First time out of the vault

Jan 23, 2009
    Is the mod available on Mac ? (couldn't find any answers on this..)

15. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    You can try, i don't know about the mod compatibility since i did it in win xp. If you somehow manage to get it working, extract .dat file to avoid any dat errors caused by bad data packer. Read post no. 642646 :P for dat extracting how to. Good luck!

16. earthdude

May 11, 2008
    Since I continue to encounter game crashes, I decided to do 2 things: 1 - start a new character since I performed the .dat file unpacking midstream on my initial play attempt and 2 - not use Falche2, the character editor. I tested this until my character reached Golden Valley. I use the character editor to add Awareness and Silent Running to all my characters.

Results:
    1. Game crashes everytime I click on the man in the shop just north of where you appear for the first time in Golden Valley. As a side note, on my first play through at some point after I'd solved most of the quests in Golden Valley, I no longer crash when clicking on him, but I get the generic town person dialog bubbles.
    2. Same behavior as above. The save format for the characters in this mod is slightly different from that expected in the character editor as traits are often different from what is displayed in-game. I'm not sure what the implication here is, but I surmised that maybe when the editor saves the modified character, some subtle change is introduced into the game. I don't think the editor is the culprit.

From the above, it is clear that whatever the problem is, it manifests first in this man in Golden Valley and it is modifiable as later on in the game I don't crash when I click on him.

I hope this is helpful in debugging the mod.

17. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    Ok, i'll hack my way into Golden Valley and see what happens. Too bad you had to start a new game, i don't like this either. Thanks, it was somewhat helpful. :ok:

18. Eternith

Eternith First time out of the vault

Mar 7, 2009
    I don't know if it was mentioned here or somewhere else on the forum, but I'm in a need of assistance. ;)
    I am just at the beginning of the mod. I opened the first door and met the guy testing my unarmed skill. I was losing every time I tried, but after many loadings I encountered a bug... The guy spoke with me, but after that combat wasn't initiated. I talked with him again. He said I'm pretty good, gave me a knife and wanted to practise meele weapons. No combat again... I talked to him once again, he said I've passed the test and that he's taking the knife back. He acctually didn't... I went on the exit grid, collected four more stones and talked with the door keeper. I have ten rocks (4 from here and 6 from the room before), but he's still standing in my way. Does this has something to do with my missing fight with the other monk-like scientist?
    Sorry if something is unclear or I'm writing about a problem that was in this topic before. ;)

19. Rajo

Rajo First time out of the vault

Feb 22, 2009
    I must say this is a really good mod man ;) and what is truly impressive is that it is one man work.So thanks a lot for it :) And keep up good work.

20. earthdude

May 11, 2008
    FK, any progress on figuring out what's crashing Canville and Golden Valley (at least for me)? I did determine that clicking on the shop dude in the River map of Golden Valley switches from constant crashing to generic town person bubble dialog after I get the quest to find uranium from Aston.

[spoiler:5dbf31ec5b]Also, in the "canal" under Aston's building there is a hole in the north wall where the ladder is, but you can't get through.... Is there a way through? Also like the blocked door into the mountain behind Aston's compound.[/spoiler:5dbf31ec5b]