Leisure Suit Larry Remake Kickstarter

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by C2B, Apr 2, 2012.

1. C2B

C2B Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Aug 17, 2010
  2. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Hmmm. I'm not sure what they're offering that's really worth buying into. Voice acting? Who cares. Mobile devices? No thanks. So all it is is replacing the classic graphics with the cartoon Larry we've all grown to loathe?

Am I missing something? I don't see the appeal.

Though admittedly, the Monkey Island remake wasn't too bad. But it didn't add a ton either.

3. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    Haha nice, a new Tex Murphy game and a new Leisure suit Larry :)

I hope they succeed and make a great LL game. This series needs a stellar new tittle to make fans "forget" the awful "spin-offs".

Will definitely keep an eye on this one and pledge some pieces of eight.

edit: Oops replied to fast / misread thread, I'm not all that interested in a remake, I was hoping for a (decent) new game.

4. Serge 13

Serge 13 Elder Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    God, the video is hilarious! :lol: :clap:

5. C2B

C2B Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Aug 17, 2010
    Think of it as paving the way too for new Larry games and further remakes. At least thats what I'm getting out of this:

6. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    I'm not a fan of Larry so I'm not overly interested in this but I agree with BN here... not sure why he needs all the $$ to do this (or why we'd want it).

I think the fans would probably want a new game that didn't suck.

I'd love to see a new Space Quest done through kickstarter.

7. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Has a single Larry game been good? I've played one or two and they were all shit. Even as a horny teenager, I couldn't get into them at all.

8. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    Most of them, actually. The second was crap as far as I've heard, though, and the first three suffered the usual old Sierra design anyway (i.e. deathtraps, unwinnable situations, moon logic puzzles).

The best one was certainly Larry 7.

9. Serge 13

Jul 20, 2006
    This project ain't doing very well, and I'm not surprised. Since when do you need $500k for the remake of a PnC adventure game? :roll:

10. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Why? Do you think it's too much?

11. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    $179,034 pledged of $500,000 goal after a few days is not doing well?

12. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    A project is only doing well if it gets 100% funded in the first 5 hours!

13. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    It is a lot, considering Double Fine only need 400K for an original product. But they probably want to do more with voice acting or shit.

And yeah, at this rate it might be close, but it's doing ok. Too many kickstarters, they're choking each other out.

14. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Well...yes, but:

Frankly I wonder what would have come out of the DF adventure game if they reached only the initial pledge considering that $100.000 were meant for the documentary of the production.

15. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    That really would have been a small game. Though, DF said that they originally only wanted to make a small game, so it is not really a surprise.

16. Serge 13

Jul 20, 2006
    Compared to some other Kickstarter projects, no. Also, do you think it will remain this way? They will hit 500k for sure but it will be a close call.

It's too much for a remake.

17. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    It is? :? Other than having an already complete design what makes a remake built from scratch (and with a different interface) so cheap to produce compared to a brand new game? :?

18. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Super Eye Patch Man Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    I don't like this. I don't care for the series much though. Is everyone going to jump on the Kickstarter bandwagon now?

19. Extreme0

Extreme0 First time out of the vault

Mar 18, 2012
    Possibly. It's a good way to get certain projects that would of never happened without fan input. If fans want that Game to happen. Then they will do their best to do so.

And if they fail to get the kickstarter working. Then I suppose either A. Not enough buzz for it. B. No one cared about it or C. It's got a limited fanbase.

...I want Dungeon Keeper 3...or another Turrican.

20. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    Not a LL fan but if we get another Space Quest through kickstarter I may have a stroke.