Memory error

NMLevesque

Commie Ghost
Edit: a possible fix to memory errors in general was found. Removing/deleting ddraw.dll seems to do the trick.

"The instruction at 66035c28 refernced memory at 0c66804c
The memory could not be written

Click on OK to terminate the application"

Win 8, Fallout Fixt, used F12se that came with it to add bonus special. Can't quite remember when I started getting this, but it's frustrating me to no end. I'm just trying to get through Vault 15. I already restarted once for other reasons, and have ended up going over the same stuff due to being an idiot with saves...so just restarting everything is not something I want to do (read: I'm close to burning down my house just to spite the game). I found a page (https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/62tcia/fallout_1_keeps_crashing/), which said there was some way to use the save editor to fix the specific bug if you could find it, but I'm barely computer literate enough to get mods working so...yeah. What do I do? I'm getting really tired of pummeling the same rats over and over again. I haven't even got back to Junktown, which is far as I made it before I started over with a new save. Please help, and thanks either way.

Last edited:
Fallout 1 does not have bonus special perks. ( or did you ment changing bonus SPECIAL statistics on character stats tab)?

If You really want to cheat try character file from FIXT called cheater.cdg (it is an option in the installer to add it) it has all 10 special and full skills, and shouldn't cause crashes.

Fallout 1 does not have bonus special perks. ( or did you ment changing bonus SPECIAL statistics on character stats tab)?

If You really want to cheat try character file from FIXT called cheater.cdg (it is an option in the installer to add it) it has all 10 special and full skills, and shouldn't cause crashes.
Yes I mean bonus SPECIAL statistics. I don't want max skills. I just wanted 10 in SPECIAL for my first run. It doesn't make as big a difference as I thought. Some of the stats are different in terms of base and bonus. Like I set endurance to 1 I think because I didn't think it'd matter if I edited the save to have it up to 10, but apparently the way it's calculated is a little funny. I tried it before with endurance higher before boosting to 10 and I had like 30% more hp. Either way I just decided to use the save editor to carry over the progress from my bugged saves, to a clean save. Managed to get through Vault 15. Problem is I'm still experiencing a lot of random crashes where it just says Fallout Fixt stopped working, and I have to close it or check online for solutions.

Your best bet then would be to use a modified character file during character creation. You can download one somwhere from Dobrovik's archive. after that just place the file in Fixt's data folder, and during character creation choose optons and load from file. You should have 10 in all specials and be able to choose your name; age; gender; triats and 3 taged skills as You normally would.

Oh I forgot to say this but start a new playthrough and do not play with the editor or it *might* screw your savegame up, if You don't know what you are doing with it.

Well I'm about to give up because no matter how far back I go I keep running into those random memory errors, and sudden crashes. It's infuriating because I just keep playing the same part of the game over and over again. Do I need to manually delete old saves so I don't overwrite them or something!!?!?!?

Where is this Dobrovik archive? I just want to not redo everything in Shady Sands, vault 15, the raiders, all over again. I can stomach redoing what parts of Junktown I could get to, but this is driving me up the wall.

Look at threads pinned in this subforum..
I did. It's a mess. How is anyone supposed to find anything? Random links half of which are dead or buried in a 100 page thread, that leads a bucket chain of similar sites. You might as well have commented 'I won't help'.

Fallout Database - That is the pinned thread @valcik was talking about.

Also, I would like to mention that creating new items with the save game editor is unsafe and can cause some instability. So if you have done so, that may be the cause of your memory problems. So in case you have, try to get rid of any such items and see if it helps, and in the future, change items instead of creating new ones (that is safe).
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Kind of easy to miss when the first post contains 0 explanation, and seems to be talking about modding tools if anything. But apparently that's the rule for NMA.

On another note I removed all the old saves, made a new one, perfectly clean, no messing around, and I barely got to Shady Sands before I had a memory error. I'm reinstalling everything but apparently it has nothing to do with using the editor that Fallout Fixt comes with, unless that just permanently ruins your copy of the game or something crazy like that. I had no idea that adding one mod to a 30 year old game, and using one cheat that it said would be fine, would completely break it with no way to fix it...fixit...fixt...hm.

This is giving me some seriously weird appreciation for Bethesda...

I had no idea that adding one mod to a 30 year old game, and using one cheat that it said would be fine, would completely break it with no way to fix it...fixit...fixt...hm.
Perhaps that "ALPHA" string in the mod name is there for a reason.
Why are you hell-bent on using FIXT anyway? Make a clean install, grab unofficial patch from TeamX, add Hi-Res patch and you are golden, no need to test other modifications in alpha versions if you're aiming at the most stable experience. This is also explained in another pinned thread in this subforum btw.

I am wondering how Bethsoft, a multi-million dollar game studio, compares to a one-guy fan mod project. But maybe this just went over my head.

Perhaps that "ALPHA" string in the mod name is there for a reason.
Why are you hell-bent on using FIXT anyway? Make a clean install, grab unofficial patch from TeamX, add Hi-Res patch and you are golden, no need to test other modifications in alpha versions if you're aiming at the most stable experience. This is also explained in another pinned thread in this subforum btw.
I'm not. It was just recommended, that it restored cut content and fixed bugs. That it's highly unstable was never mentioned beyond calling it an alpha version. I certainly did gloss over that part, though it seems a bit dishonest not to mention the extent of these issues.

I am wondering how Bethsoft, a multi-million dollar game studio, compares to a one-guy fan mod project. But maybe this just went over my head.
I was referring to the modability of their games, the extent of mod support, and in general the ease of stuffing them full of barely tested mods without worrying too much about compatibility; not the mod author. I suppose that could imply a comparison to the studio that made Fo1, but even that wasn't my intention.

(blah blah)
I suppose that could imply a comparison to the studio that made Fo1, but even that wasn't my intention.

For the first 6 months of Fallout 1's development, it was all done by one guy. For the next 6 months, it was that one guy, plus an artist and a scripter. They never had the budget or the intentions to make the game moddable at all. Hell, the game is barely working as it its, it's got those memory issues even without any modifications.

Looking at the edit you've made to your first post it seems you've deleted ddraw.dll. This means you've removed Sfall from the game. I don't know if any parts of Fixt depends on sfall, but if they do then that's going to cause you problems later on.

Back