My home campaign's Brotherhood of Steel

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
I thought people would like to read the primer I prepared for my non-Fallout players for my campaign. It's not one hundred percent accurate but is designed for the 30 years after the bomb game that I'm doing in Tampa, Florida.

The Brotherhood of Steel

Roger Maxson was a US Army Ranger when he and his team found the human experiments of WestTek in the final hours before the war. Deserting their posts, they seized a set of nuclear bunkers reserved for the Enclave and proceeded to contact multiple groups across the United States before the bombs were dropped and they suddenly had bigger problems. Roger proceeded to create an organization that attempted to save as many US military personnel and their families as possible, seizing facilities across the country.

Roger realized with the destruction of the US government that he now had one of the most powerful factions in the country but that they were a ticking time bomb. Some wanted to revive the US government, others wanted to create their own dictatorship, and others still simply wanted to look after their own.

Creating the Brotherhood of Steel as an alternative, Roger attempted to replace their loyalty to the US government with a new creed: The Codex of Steel. Roger believed the primary concern would be securing technology before it became too broken down to rebuild civilization and preventing a second nuclear apocalypse or other powers rising with the remains of the US military's war machines.

Philosophy

The Brotherhood of Steel's primary concern is with technology, particularly weapons technology. Its mandate is to try to acquire and prevent the use of WMDs leftover from the war including nuclear weapons, biological weapons, and chemical weapons. In addition to WMDs, they also attempt to acquire laser, plasma, combat AI, and Power Armor weapons. Finally, they are attempting to acquire all nuclear facilities, AI, and super science research in hopes of allowing them to rebuild.

Roger Maxson believed that the Brotherhood of Steel would use this accumulated technology to help enforce order on the Wasteland and help communities rebuild. His recent death has resulted in a power struggle though between his children and lieutenants. There are many who believe that the Brotherhood should remain isolated from Wastelander affairs while others believe they should be heroes protecting the locals or outright dominating them.'

The Brotherhood of Steel suffers from a racism problem with all Super Mutants shot at on sight and ghouls treated barely better. They believe themselves to be a "purer" strain of humanity due to their general lack of mutation and better radiation protection. Though it's only been 30 years, already there is a difference between those born in the Brotherhood from military families and those recruited from the Wasteland.

Ranks

The High Elder: The ruler of the Brotherhood of Steel, selected from the Elders
Elder: The head of each Chapter House who form a Council.
Sentinel: The highest rank for a soldier or Scribe, they sometimes head chapter houses.
Paladin: A senior knight of the order
Knight: A junior knight of the order
High Scribe/Scribe: A technician or support staff member. They are equal in rank to the Knights and Paladins, theoretically.
Scribe/Initiate: A apprentice member of the organization.

Factions

* Arthurians ("Authoritarians"): The Brotherhood of Steel who believe the organization should assume direct control over the Wasteland institute a feudal new society with themselves as the new nobility.
* Lancelots ("Protectors"): They're the Brotherhood of Steel members who believe they should use their weaponry to protect humans and uplift them. They are increasingly weak as a force due to the number of Brothers killed fighting Raiders and involved in heroics.
* Percivals ("Isolationists"): These individuals believe the Brotherhood should seal up their military bases, bunkers, and research facilities then turn everyone else away. The Percivals are one of the larger ones and a result of so many deaths trying to control the chaos.
* Morganas ("Technophiles"): The Scribe faction that is primarily concerned with gathering as much scientific data and equipment as possible. They tend to be far more violent in acquiring it than other factions and caring little about others' motivations.
* "Merlins" ("The Forsaken"): The Merlins did SOMETHING and were wholly purged.

Have one elder who just yells at younger members to stay off the grass, eventually reveal he was a command sergeant major before the bombs fell.

Back