My review of Fallout: the Series Season One 9/10

It doesn't really matter to me at this point, as like I said in my profile post; I'm kinda on the verge of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I like the original series and New Vegas, but hate the newer stuff and that's all well ever get in terms of official media.

There's also the fact that fans of "serious" Fallout 1 seem to forget all the ridiculous shit because they edit out of their minds.
No one edits out of their minds because Fallout 1 isn't ridiculous in the slightest. Just because it has green men, people turned into decaying zombies when they survive a nuclear blast and mutated dinosaurs doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to take it seriously.

Something doesn't have to follow the rules of the real world to be taken seriously, to claim otherwise is moronic and undermines everything in fiction. To have to say this to a so-called writer is ridiculous.

The problem is that Bethesda doesn't give a shit about the rules and the lore established in Fallout 1 and 2, they twist and mangle everything to try to jam as much West Coast crap into the East Coast because Bethesda has been creatively bankrupt since 2006.

It doesn't really matter to me at this point, as like I said in my profile post; I'm kinda on the verge of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I like the original series and New Vegas, but hate the newer stuff and that's all well ever get in terms of official media.

To each their own. Fallout 76 turned me off the franchise for about six years. This made me return.

To each their own. Fallout 76 turned me off the franchise for about six years. This made me return.
This'll likely be permanently, as if the whole point of the series (from the start) was goofs and gaffs with the occasional exposition; that's not what I signed up for. Seems like the more I learn about the creators of things I like, the less I like their works.

I thought it was boyarsky who stepped in and made the game fifties of the future.

He did, Tim credits Leonard Boyarsky for the 1950s and dark humor angle, Tim was envisioning a bleak world as evident by his emphasis on the soundtrack sounding the way it does.

Last edited:
Whether the classics and New Vegas are removed or not

He did, Tim credits Leonard Boyarsky for the 1950s and dark humor angle, Tim was envisioning a bleak world as evident by his emphasis on the soundtrack sounding the way it does.

Fallout: A Tale of Mutation
says that they initially wanted Warriors of the Wasteland by synth band, Frankie goes to Hollywood.

Fallout: A Tale of Mutation says that Tim wanted desperately to get the song, "Warriors of the Wasteland" by Frankie goes to Hollywood.

They couldn't afford it so they got "Maybe" instead.

Bleak, really?

I don't know about that book, but it seems the author (or perhaps you) got their facts wrong. Tim and crew tried to get "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" by the Inkspots as the theme for the game and couldn't get the rights and so chose "Maybe" by the Inkspots and ended up liking it better because the lyrics fit the story thematically. Not to mention he also pushed heavily for Mark Morgan to make the OST dark ambient music to hone in the bleakness of the series while his team questioned the choice, specifically giving Mark Morgan this album to work off of, which Mark Morgan seemingly outright copies some of the tracks flow entirely. Now of course before settling on the Fallout setting it went through some wild pitches and ideas that didn't make the landing, including a wacky time travel adventure with dinosaurs, but what was settled was what we got.

So yes, really.

Sources timestamped:

And straight from the horse's mouth on wanting the game to feel bleak:

Last edited:
Makes sense, that it was Russian who made Fallout into what it is, after all, Russian community keeps classics alive.
Also for the soundtrack, is it just me, or Borderlands soundtrack is inspired by Fallout? It's so awesome and ambienty.

If Tim Cain intended for Fallout to be nothing more than a wacky parody of 50s sci-fi then he really shit the bed with Fallout 1. Good thing he left so that Fallout 2 could be closer to his original vision.

Also kinda goes against his quote from twenty years ago:
"My idea is to explore more of the world and more of the ethics of a post-nuclear world, not to make a better plasma gun."
Oh my god, Timothy Cain reminds me more and more of George Lucas, both started the franchise, but it became great because of other people, both misunderstood their own franchises, both blindly support the companies that butchers their creation, both are fat old guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense, that it was Russian who made Fallout into what it is, after all, Russian community keeps classics alive.
Also for the soundtrack, is it just me, or Borderlands soundtrack is inspired by Fallout? It's so awesome and ambienty.
Leonard Boyarsky is American. Unless you are implying that having Russian ancestry bestows one with certain artistic abilities.
Oh my god, Timothy Cain reminds me more and more of George Lucas, both started the franchise, but it became great because of other people, both misunderstood their own franchises, both blindly support the companies that butchers their creation, both are fat old guys.
You’re being too hard on Tim. I don’t think he misunderstands Fallout at all. He just doesn’t care anymore. It’s been through so many iterations since he had any hand in it. And overall he seems like a nice guy that doesn’t surround himself with sycophants and exercise overbearing creative control over his work to the detriment of its quality, like George did . Though based on Outer Worlds, I don’t think he has much quality game design/writing left in him.

Okay, so what I did there was click “Reply” on your first comment, then I typed out my response, then I scrolled up and clicked “Reply” on your other comment. That’s an easy way to quote multiple posts. I’m not trying to be a dick about it, but you’ve been warned before, and we do find double posts a little annoying here.

Wasteland was fucking ridiculous.
Of course it was ridiculous. It's the 80's which already ridiculous decade and a video games, a ridiculous medium to channel it, I mean shit, the OG Ultima games had you flying tie fighters into space and shit.

Shit can be ridiculous, but shit better not be retarded.

Last edited:
I loved, loved, loved the original Wasteland. Well, I was 12. I still have a lot of nostalgia for that game.

I don't see how it was overly ridiculous any more than many other games.

You’re being too hard on Tim. I don’t think he misunderstands Fallout at all. He just doesn’t care anymore.

Ditto to @Iprovidelittlepianos points. Just because Tim isn't lighting torches doesn't mean he is complicit in how the series is going. He hasn't been involved with the series since 1998, he wasn't even around at Obsidian for New Vegas so I don't know why she should care about where it's headed. To him it hasn't been his Fallout since the first one. Also I don't know what you mean by blindly supporting companies, he's just giving an opinion from the perspective of someone who isn't as invested as us. Just because he liked some things and enjoyed the show doesn't mean he's shilling, that makes no sense.

Obligatory post in this thread to follow all the rampant bullshiting.
CT Phipps' threads always deliver.

Though based on Outer Worlds, I don’t think he has much quality game design/writing left in him.
I think he might still have it, the problem was that The Outer Worlds team he was on was hard to work with and would make a fuss if he asked for anything to be made or implemented. He mentioned something like that in one of his videos and said that after the pushback he got the first time, he just stopped asking for anything else.

He mentioned that this seems to be a trend in the industry these days. I think he called them overly cautious or something like that. I can't remember anymore.

And them being overly cautious resulted in an incredibly mediocre game. Good job? Maybe some of Tim's ideas would have made the game less boring.

As for Vault-Tec dropping the nukes, they plan to but given the entirety of Fallout 2 is about the Enclave preparing for the nukes dropping--that's not even a retcon. Vault-Tec is just part of the Enclave and one of the many corporate groups that are shown forming it in Episode 8.
[/spoiler]

Nuclear weapons are not something a corporation would get a hold of, nor would the Vault-Tec seniority have any power over the military/government portion of the Enclave.

I think having Vault-Tec as the main bad guy just undermines the arc message of the series, “War. War never changes”, which means humans will always find a reason to fight each other, whether it’s politics, resources, wealth, ideology etc even if we really shouldn’t be. The world of Fallout is devastated by nuclear war, yet in the aftermath people still find reasons to fight each other, human nature hasn’t changed, which is tragic.

Another thing I don’t like that Bethesda brought in is the trivialisation of nuclear weapons. In the first games nukes were extremely rare and taken very seriously and there was a great respect for just how destructive and dangerous they are. Fallout 3 onwards changed that with the Fatboy launcher and the missile launches you can do in Fallout 76, and Shady Sands being nuked in the show.

Also good to see you’re still around CT, hope you’re doing well.

Back