Netanyahu wanted by the ICC for warcrimes

I don't want to pay for Israel's wars. That said, who enforces these "arrest warrants". Seems like political theater.

The article says they have an "arrest warrant" for Putin too. So he's in custody, then?

It is political theater but that is most politics.

Biden is freaking out about the whole thing because he desperately wants to pretend Netanyahu isn't a monster fighting other monsters and killing a shit ton of children along the way.

It is political theater but that is most politics.

Biden is freaking out about the whole thing because he desperately wants to pretend Netanyahu isn't a monster fighting other monsters and killing a shit ton of children along the way.
It's not political theater for domestic US politics, it's an independent judiciary based in the Netherlands. It didn't play politcs when it sentenced over 150 war criminals from the former Yugoslavia, neither does it now.

So if they are successful with getting the arrest warrant, this thing (linked on reddit posted earlier in this thread) means anyone trying to enforce the warrant starts WW3?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Service-Members'_Protection_Act
No, it won't trigger WW3, don't be silly.

It's not political theater for domestic US politics, it's an independent judiciary based in the Netherlands. It didn't play politcs when it sentenced over 150 war criminals from the former Yugoslavia, neither does it now

Yes, but no one is going to arrest the Prime Minister of Israel.

Yes, but no one is going to arrest the Prime Minister of Israel.
All members who have ratified the treaty are obligated to arrest a wanted criminal if they are inside that country's jurisdiction. So Bibi options for travel are drastically limited. Would be funny if Israel extradited him (won't happen):roffle:

All members who have ratified the treaty are obligated to arrest a wanted criminal if they are inside that country's jurisdiction. So Bibi options for travel are drastically limited. Would be funny if Israel extradited him (won't happen):roffle:

Yeah and they'll ignore that completely.

Sure, but it won't look good for them. Deeply ironic that Israel is the one harboring war criminals now, when it used to be them carrying out extrajudicial killing of wanted war criminals like Eichmann.

You talk as if they have gotten the warrant for Bibi already, but won't that take ages and probably be rejected anyway?

That also talks a lot about it being an application for a warrant. I assume applications are not automatically granted otherwise it wouldn't be an application?

It's how the process starts, he wouldn't fill them if there wasn't something to go on. But yes, its up to the ICC justices to decide in the end.

War crimes? How could there be war crimes when there hasn't been a war? Oh, I can understand your wish there had been a war. Your need to indulge some pathetic fantasy of brave Palestinian soldiers marching to honourable defeat. But in fact, Major, you and I know there was no war, no glory. Palestine didn't resist, it surrendered.

I doubt this will change anything. The ICC warrants have been ignored in the past and there were no real consequences for doing it.

However, the court has no means to enforce an arrest. The sanction for not arresting someone is a referral back to the ICC's assembly of member states and ultimately a referral to the U.N. Security Council.

In past cases where a state has ignored its obligation to arrest an individual facing an ICC warrant, they have received a procedural slap on the wrist at most.

Back