New Reno Sign (Fallout 2)

Acenos1

First time out of the vault
Just a bit of a small Nitpick here. I know that the series takes place in an alternate timeline but in regards of the sign of New Reno...
sign1.webp

It's the wrong sign. This is actually the third Reno sign, which was built in 1987.

The previous two reno signs before it looked like this:

Built in 1963
636131844477586547-Virginia-Street-South-1965-Front---Copy-2-.webp

Built in 1926:
635652576007572637-057a.webp

As Fallout's PoD for the timeline was during the mid-century. The previous two signs would be a much better fit. The 1963 sign's googie look fits in well with the retro 50's aesthetic of the pre war world.

the 1926 sign would fit into the post apocalyptic aesthetic better. Seeing that steel frame all rusted and twisted up with some of the words or letters hanging loose or completely gone.

Why would the city not have rebuilt the sign as many times as needed over their history? The sign would have been their most recent (as of 2077) version assuming none was made after the war—which isn't necessarily not so.

Last edited:
And to be honest, the two signs you prefer look not fitting very well with the Fallout2 visual. It might look old style, but it doesnt fit F2.

The 1963 one look particularly ... hip~ I would suffer the 1926 sign, stark and threadbare as it is, rather than THAT.

It's a common misconception that everything in Fallout's universe resembles exactly the real-world 1950s. There are buildings, monuments, and iconography from our real, modern world that are in Fallout. There are also cities in Fallout that are giant metropolises that are flat urban areas in our real world such as Bakersfield (Necropolis) and Barstow (The Hub). Basically just because something was built post-1960s, doesn't mean it's excluded from Fallout's universe. I'm sure had that massive tragedy not occurred, we'd see the Twin Towers in Fallout despite them being built in the 1970s.

The core aesthetic of Fallout 1 is some kind of dark retro-future art deco. Anything probably goes, as long as it adheres to that.

The departure from this also contributes to the feeling that later Fallouts aren't Fallout. Fallout 2 somewhat included, I would say.

That being said, the 1963 sign might have worked better, maybe with a little art deco flare.

Back