Fallout 2 mod Oblivion Lost mod - NEW Patch!

QuantumApprentice

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
Took me a while to get there, but I managed to finish editing my Oblivion Lost playthrough and decided I wanted to make a patch of the mod so it doesn't crash as often, and so others can actually play it and get to the ending :)

These two are download links to the patch:
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m4go4rBWrTsXuel1fhBFLCYIJo2AYqiv/view?usp=sharing
https://www.moddb.com/mods/quantums-oblivion-lost-patch

And I posted all my changes to github in case anybody wants to review them:
https://github.com/QuantumApprentice/Quantums-Oblivion-Lost-Patch

Oblivion Lost v1.03 installer: https://www.mediafire.com/file/6swco6dlzcyothn/%5Bcon%5D_F2_Oblivion_Lost_HD_%5Bv1.03%5D.exe/file

I made this sucker for version 1.03 of Oblivion Lost,
it probably won't work for other versions,
but I have a link to the v1.03 installer above.
This patch should work with any older save files you have and prevent most crashes,
but I make no guarantees about broken quests.
I definitely would try installing this if town maps are crashing on you.

To install just copy the Patch002.dat file into the same folder as
patch000.dat and patch001.dat.
Right next to the Fallout 2 executable.
That's it, that's all you have to do.
Congratulations! Now you're updated to the most recent patch.
Hope you enjoy the game fixes!

I fixed 4 specific things in this patch:
1) Most of the crashes were caused by the "anomalies" scattered around the map.
After a few weeks, (randomly selected for each one when you first enter a map),
an anomaly will attempt to spawn an "Artifact" on the little glowing lines that
randomly pop up directly over an anomalies location,
(hint you need perception >=(rnd(6,8)) for this to happen).
The type of artifact spawned is based on the type of anomaly.

Patch001.dat had a version of the script that would attempt to spawn
an artifact into one of these objects even if that object wasn't actually there
(because the script is actually a spot on the ground) which causes a crash
on entering the map.
The anomaly itself only spawns if you've interacted with it with high perception.

Patch000.dat had a version that checked if the anomaly had spawned first...
...so that's the one I included in the patch.

2) Several scripts were incorrectly assigning karma,
which was causing the engine to access and stomp
memory more or less randomly.
I just fixed the assignment.

3) Several of the scripts on the CNPP end boss map
which don't trigger at the right time, and Strelok's
weird walking issue have also been fixed.

4) And finally, the one map that Warlockracy could not get to,
the one map preventing him from finishing this mod,
the Enclave Detention center, now expands to the end of the hall
where you can ride the elevator down to Mnemonics for the final quest.

Last edited:
Hey man..
It's good to hear from You..
anyways, seems forum is on it's alst breath nowadays.. barely anyone responding.. and it's not just the modding section.. it's like 5 posts a day or less, and usually two of those five posts are mine, so it's likely, we'll soon go down the drain, and we'll turn from forgotten to dead, and later from dead to gone..

I don't think the forum is dying because Fallout is, I think the problem is half the people who work on Fallout 1/2 mods are fighting the other half in a real life war (Russia vs Ukraine).
And I think most people are more concerned with the possible upcoming ww3, to the point where side hobbies, like this, are just getting pushed farther and farther to the side.
I expect people to come back eventually...but that probably won't happen until the world has stabilized again (or at least the Russia/Ukraine thing has ended).

Very cool you've made a patch! I've never played the mod but it's nice to see someone contributing to the Fallout Classic modding scene.

And finally, the one map that Warlockracy could not get to,
the one map preventing him from finishing this mod,
the Enclave Detention center, now expands to the end of the hall
where you can ride the elevator down to Mnemonics for the final quest.
Hi. The second link downloads version 1.04. The Enclave maps has been fixed in it.
Have the scripts been fixed taking into account the scripts in patch000.dat ?

Hi. The second link downloads version 1.04. The Enclave maps has been fixed in it.
Have the scripts been fixed taking into account the scripts in patch000.dat ?
Version 1.04?
Is there a version 1.04? I've only seen v1.03 which is what I linked above.

I decompiled all the scripts in patch001.dat and looked through them for specific problems, and compared them to patch000.dat.
Several of the scripts worked correctly in patch000.dat (ie the bugs in the patch001.dat version were obvious when comparing the two), so I just added them as replacements in my patch002.dat.
There were several other scripts which assigned karma incorrectly on death, so I fixed that one line and re-compiled the script and added it to patch002 to overwrite what both patch000 and patch001 had.

Take a look at the github link, I uploaded patch001 files first, then I uploaded the changes I made in patch002 with descriptions so you could see the changes I made :)

Version 1.04?
Is there a version 1.04? I've only seen v1.03 which is what I linked above.:)
Exactly version 1.04 and it's been there for a long time. On the link you provided, also 1.04 =)
Going to update the mod to version 1.05 and would like to add your fixes.

Version differences:
  • * Fixed a problem with displaying records in the "PDA" (Ru Lang.).
  • * Fixed localizations (missing lines, text in the other language, etc).
  • * Fixed a bugs with Kill Type.
  • * Fixed a bug in displaying some pieces of maps.
  • * Additional hero types.
Your fix will be fully compatible with 1.04.

Last edited:
Exactly version 1.04 and it's been there for a long time. On the link you provided, also 1.04 =)
Going to update the mod to version 1.05 and would like to add your fixes.

Version differences:
  • * Fixed a problem with displaying records in the "PDA" (Ru Lang.).
  • * Fixed localizations (missing lines, text in the other language, etc).
  • * Fixed a bugs with Kill Type.
  • * Fixed a bug in displaying some pieces of maps.
  • * Additional hero types.
Your fix will be fully compatible with 1.04.

Oh weird...
I just looked at the link again and the filename it points to does say v1.04, but the link itself says v1.03 and I could have sworn I downloaded the v1.03 version that I based this patch on from this link.
I'm not sure what happened, but I guess I need to download and try out the enclave map in v1.04.
Otherwise, I added a fix for the enclave map in my patch, which was just an adjusted .edg file for the hi-res mod.

You're welcome to use my patch/fixes in an update!
I guess you can leave the .edg file out if that was already fixed in v1.04 :)

@QuantumApprentice
Hey man..

Are You revisiting newer versions of the mods You've tested before?

well then Last Hope hit 1.085 up from 1.082, are you willing to try another playthrough? besides some additional mod not elated to LH incompatibilities, i had no issues at all, all of the previous bugs were fixed.. even that Canvile deathclaw cave bug You got stuck in. It's all working as inteded now.

@QuantumApprentice
Hey man..

Are You revisiting newer versions of the mods You've tested before?

well then Last Hope hit 1.085 up from 1.082, are you willing to try another playthrough? besides some additional mod not elated to LH incompatibilities, i had no issues at all, all of the previous bugs were fixed.. even that Canvile deathclaw cave bug You got stuck in. It's all working as inteded now.
Sweet!
I fully intend to replay Last Hope mod.
I had originally planned to play it over christmas break, but I got sick for about 2 weeks instead :(
Look for something in the next month, I think.

I think it's better to wait for 1.05.

Hello there! I have been dying to try Oblivion Lost but I just cannot get the English translation to work for the life of me. All the new content the mod adds for me is in a weird string of characters, not just random letters but symbols and such too, very strange. I've got most of the other total conversions to work so Oblivion Lost is sort of my white whale. I did read something in the ReadMe about English sometimes not displaying properly because it requires a specific string length? I was curious if there is anything I can do on my end to fix it or if it will be addressed in 1.05? Either way thank you for the hard work and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Hello there! I have been dying to try Oblivion Lost but I just cannot get the English translation to work for the life of me. All the new content the mod adds for me is in a weird string of characters, not just random letters but symbols and such too, very strange. I've got most of the other total conversions to work so Oblivion Lost is sort of my white whale. I did read something in the ReadMe about English sometimes not displaying properly because it requires a specific string length? I was curious if there is anything I can do on my end to fix it or if it will be addressed in 1.05? Either way thank you for the hard work and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Hey, sorry for the late reply.
I think I have a potential solution. It looks like v1.04 includes a Patch002.dat file that's in russian and overrides the english patch.
You can delete patch002.dat and those characters should be english now, but you can also try copying over my Patch002.dat, which has a few bug fixes that I put together for v1.03.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/quantums-oblivion-lost-patch/downloads/quantums-oblivion-lost-patch1
I'm not entirely sure they're necessary for this version, I need to do some testing, but I suspect they are.

Back