One Year Later Review?

Discussion in 'Fallout 76' started by AgentBJ09, Nov 1, 2019.

1. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 A Smooth-Skin

Jul 9, 2015
    We made one for Fallout 4. Why not 76 as well?

Wastelanders being pushed back means some content won't be covered if such a review comes out this or next month, but probably no big loss.

Thoughts?

2. Millim

Millim The Big Straight Orderite

Oct 13, 2010
    I would say a post mortem, but considering Bethesda do a silly every time we think it's over, it maybe a '10 years on' kinda thing

3. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 A Smooth-Skin

Jul 9, 2015
    Maybe a...prognosis instead? After all, if the release content is slowing down, that could mean game death is on the horizon.

4. Canaris

Canaris First time out of the vault

Mar 29, 2009
    Its a Bethesda game without modding, console commands and offline single player...
    No amount of time from release to now will fix that.

5. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 A Smooth-Skin

Jul 9, 2015
    Maybe not, but no harm in taking a few shots at Bethesda.

6. Korin

Korin Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    I don't know if an objective one exists yet. The short version would be it was released with a lot of problems and has received a lot of fixes and updates since then. The game it is today should have been the one that was released a year ago. In the present day it still has a lot of issues but despite the ongoing drama about Fallout 1st, a lot of minor bugs and a few major but relatively rare bugs the biggest problem is actually the lack of content for people that have been playing long term. A lot of people were hoping for a Wastelanders release but with it delayed till next year there's not much to do aside from Nuclear Winter/dailies/challenges, etc.

The best thing they can do hopefully is get all their ducks in a row and then do a major "re-opening" with Wastelanders because my understanding is NPCs will fundamentally change the game and if you've already done a lot of the quests you'll need to make a new character to experience some of that content.

7. Korin

Korin Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    I didn't watch the video but I've been following the drama on Reddit as well as Discord (I share some Discords with people involved) and have some thoughts on the matter.

Having done work in the security sector I can tell you it doesn't matter how "helpful" you think you're being, if you spend several days doing unsanctioned exploit/penetration testing then you're going to have a bad time. Bethesda's reaction to his intrusion was justified. He wasn't sanctioned by Bethesda to do this, despite the fact he shares a Discord channel with a couple of the community managers (which has been implied as his license to do this). This is essentially a case of someone having done a lot of good/popular things and then doing something criminal because they believe the rules no longer apply, it doesn't work that way. It's also important to note, that the stuff he was doing was a much different and more aggressive form of exploitation than the canned cheats people are getting banned/temp banned for in NW, though people seem to want to conflate the two. It's about the same difference as smoking meth vs. cooking it.

I actually feel for the guy but this is mostly his fault. He was sloppy in his testing, using both his real accounts and the same game client to perform the tests. He should have done it in a VM or on a throwaway PC that wasn't tangibly tied to his main account. He's garnering a lot of sympathy online but it doesn't change the fact he did this to himself. He self-authorized himself to do these things because of popularity and hubris and assumed he'd either be above reprisal or that he had a "get out of jail free card" because of presumed importance. The only legitimate complaint he has is that Bethesda's customer support sucks ass and getting a timeline/sensible response takes forever, if it ever comes.