post-apo soundtracks

Public

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Oi there NMAllowdians,

You're fans of movies and games in post-apo setting.
Some of you probably listen to post-apo soundtracks/ost's.

What, in your opinion, makes music for post-apocalyptic setting so interesting? How can you describe that sort of music and what do YOU think makes a song feel "post-apo"?

Let the spice flow! I mean...discussion

I wouldn't say it's a soundtrack or necessarily "post apocalyptic", but I like a few albums by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Primarily "F#A# Infinity" and "Lift your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to the Heavens".

To me, with it's lack of lyrics and slow, droning music that takes its time as it slowly crescendos and decrescendos...I don't know really how to describe it.

It's dark, like a post-apocalyptic soundtrack should sound.

it should be slow, some kind of dark, and droning. really post-apocalyptic music will leave in you feeling of devastation.
try Khali-Juga for example

Every album by Stars of the lid.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S273yH8dlmU[/youtube]

And the ambient work of James Plotkin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J30JRxs-dwA[/youtube]

Music that breathes solitude..

Professor Danger! said:
I wouldn't say it's a soundtrack or necessarily "post apocalyptic", but I like a few albums by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Primarily "F#A# Infinity" and "Lift your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to the Heavens"..
That's what I came to this thread to say really. Great albums which I recommend to anyone. Although F# A# Infinity sounds much more dark and post apocalyptic, especially with the opening monologue.

Scelsi is awesome, Scelsi is great, Scelsi is a motherfucking sound-smith musical genius. Just anything is worth to listen to, but I'll post the first movement of Uaxuctum, which is only apocalyptic by its theme, but certainly fits "post-apoc" soundtracks. And for once, it's not electronic. And please take your time to listen to it, take also the time to go sneak around his other compositions. 8-)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZgbt9sTcY[/youtube]

there is some crazy professor who sits in the Diag (central plaza) on campus and plays the harmonica and washboard after 4 pm every weekday.

I sometimes picture that is PA music (FO3 had harmonicas right?)

Small resilient or easily build able instruments would probably be more common.

As for recorded music, I would think that people would like flowery upbeat music that would take them away from the Suck that is their world... Take electronic music for instance, Alice Deejays better off alone would make you feel happier (better etc... not that I like the son) rather than Al Jorgenson from Ministry screaming distorted crap into a mic.

(My own electronic tastes are quite varied from Dynamix II up to modern house DJ stuff..)

edit... Had another thought of great music. the "This is SPACE" 4 disk collection from Hypnotic records. Contains Space Daze 1 and 2, Space Daze 2000, and a random disk of music (usually another Hypnotic label comp)

Space Daze 1 and 2 have some neat "ambient" type music dating back to the 1970s and 2000 has more modern stuff including music by the band Anubian Lights. Highly reccomended.
Anubian Lights: Destiny
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF0XZjjh69Q[/youtube]

Just my opinion

PastaMasta said:
Professor Danger! said:
I wouldn't say it's a soundtrack or necessarily "post apocalyptic", but I like a few albums by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Primarily "F#A# Infinity" and "Lift your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to the Heavens"..
That's what I came to this thread to say really. Great albums which I recommend to anyone. Although F# A# Infinity sounds much more dark and post apocalyptic, especially with the opening monologue.

East Hastings from the F# A# album is probably my favorite song at the moment.

Maybe throw in a little Brian Eno's "Ambient I: Music for Airports". There's a feeling of loneliness and desolation on that album that might relate to something post-apocalyptic.

Stalker had a wonderful trippy atmospheric theme to it i suppose you could call this film post apocalyptic, but nonetheless the soundtrack sound wonderful :mrgreen:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQYrR4Stos4[/youtube]

Golic said:
Stalker had a wonderful trippy atmospheric theme to it i suppose you could call this film post apocalyptic, but nonetheless the soundtrack sound wonderful
The very best movie. Funny to note that the Stalker's wife, right before this sequence, is reeding St John's Apocalypse, you can still hear her laugh a little. The movie, if it's not strictly post-apocalyptic, clearly has post-apoc themes and references, but it's also interesting to envision the movie as etymologically post-apocalyptic : what lies beyond the revelation of the hidden/invisible.

Wow, people posted some really nice tunes in this thread, tnx guys. :>

As for the main question, its a bit hard to say really.. Imo it depends on the actual post apo setting, as there are more of those.

The wasteland(i dont mean the game) feel, directly associates me with ethno tunes. Kind of a song which Golic posted above. (i shold check out that movie? :> )
If the world ends up as wasteland, kind of similar to Fallout, the society took a huge step backwards, so in a way it reminds of wild ancient times.
It feels nice if the music is traditional, as it reminds of ancient times aswell.

So no typical drum rythms or catchy melodies. More of a mood setter, like african percussions with some kinds of flutes and stuff.

If its a slightly more bright ambient, kind of which i initally imagined FO3 would be like, i like the idea of an old acoustic guitar with a finger slide or as the guy up said, you can see an old man playing a harmonica. :>
Depending on the country, using only what you can find, that sort of stuff.

If its a really cold ambient showing extreme solitude, i like the idea of something a bit more electronical, lots of effects and stuff but in a dark melancholic way. Maybe even something orchestral if its in a heavily serious tone.

Back