Recommended setup for 'Ultra' display settings?

Eternal

Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?
Ok my computer is fairly good IMO, but I can only play on 1280x1024 'high' settings if I want to be able to do more than stare at the ground not moving or ever getting into combat.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2ghz
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 320mb
4gb 1066mhz ram
Windows XP sp3

I'd figure that I would be able to play FO3 on "Ultra" settings in 1600x1200 with mediocre FPS (I figured I would be able to keep it around a barely playable 20fps) yet I only get about half that when I'm outside, and if I'm in combat its even worse. Even on 'High' with 1200x1024 I get a noticable drop in fps if I turn around quickly, but overall its playable.

Any suggestions?

Fallout 3 has several memory leaks.

I run a E8400, 3go ram, 2*9800gt SLI rig and can't play at Ultra settings either because the framerate drops after a while and I have to alt-tab the game to be able to play at 60fps again...for a while.

My friend had a less powerful rig with only 1 8800gt and it ran flawlessly, maxed out, at 1680*1050...go figure...

Also, it does not come from my system, since installing Fallout 3 right after formatting my hard drive and switching from Vista to a clean install of XP didn't fix anything.

I was able to finish the game on High settings though ( alt tabbing every half an hour or so ) and...it sucked anyway. So yay, it's not just your rig. It's a very evil compatibility problem the game has with your rig...

Eternal said:
Ok my computer is fairly good IMO, but I can only play on 1280x1024 'high' settings if I want to be able to do more than stare at the ground not moving or ever getting into combat.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2ghz
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 320mb
4gb 1066mhz ram
Windows XP sp3

I'd figure that I would be able to play FO3 on "Ultra" settings in 1600x1200 with mediocre FPS (I figured I would be able to keep it around a barely playable 20fps) yet I only get about half that when I'm outside, and if I'm in combat its even worse. Even on 'High' with 1200x1024 I get a noticable drop in fps if I turn around quickly, but overall its playable.

Any suggestions?

you are asking way too much from an old crappy card liek the 8800GTS 320MB
You must lower the resolution to achieve high settings.
Depite the closeness of the names, the 8800GTS 512MB is at least twice as fast as the 8800 GTS 320MB at 1600x1200 due to different architecture.

I run the game on 2 x 8800GTXs at 2560 x 1600 with everything maxed out, except for AA, which is set to 2x.

I have noticed though since I started a play through recently, that the game now runs a little slower for me with newer graphics drivers and newer fallout3 patch.

On my first play through I actually found that I had to edit the .ini file to drastically increase view distance and LOD distances ect to get the game to run below 60fps outside.

So you could try the game with older drivers and patches, to see if you get an increase in performance.

I think you need to turn down the view distances. You can crank them down pretty low before it starts being noticable.

Back