Regarding the Highwayman and its real-life counterpart.

PZKPFW

First time out of the vault
Hello all, I've been lurking around these forums for many years and just now decided to register. But I'll just get straight to the point.

I recently started playing Fallout 2 again and got to the point where you get the fuel cell regulator from the broken down Chrysalis Motors Highwayman. The car looked very familiar to me so I decided to do some research on it.

According to the Fallout bible the Highwayman was based off of the 1957 Chevrolet. I am an old car collector, and while I don't think it's wise to go against the Fallout bible (Sure I'm going to get a ton of flak for this), I must say that that has to be incorrect.

I decided to do some comparisons of the Highwayman, the 1957 Chevrolet, and two other likely candidates (1959 Plymouth and Chrysler).

Highwayman (Resized):
copyofchrysalismotorshimz2.jpg

1959 Chrysler (It was a pain to get pictures of the right model):
1959chrysler1go9.jpg

1959chrysler2if3.jpg

1957 Chevrolet:
chevrolet1957ib6.jpg

1959 Plymouth:
59plymouth01bbo8.jpg

86652012qn6.jpg

Comparisons:

1959 Chrysler VS Highwayman

Similarities:
Same general shape.
Large rear fins.
Similar grill.
Lower, flatter roof.
Somewhat similar hood.
Similar headlights.
Chrysler is similar to Chrysalis.

Differences:
Different bumper.
Smaller 3rd headlight below the duals on the Chrysler.
Seems a little more rounded than the Highwayman.
Smaller headlights.

1957 Chevrolet VS Highwayman

Similarities:
Same general body style of late 1950's cars.
Bumpers are vaguely similar.
Same windshield, but most 50's cars had the same windshield style.
Similar grill behind the bumper.

Differences:
Highwayman has dual headlights, while the 1957 Chevy has singles.
Rear tail fins are much less pronounced compared to the Highwayman.
Different hood style.
Higher more rounded roof.

1959 Plymouth VS Highwayman

Similarities:
Similar body style.
Similar dual headlights.
Fins are pretty much identical
Similar grill (The Plymouths pictured here are the Fury model which adds an extra emblem and a gap in the middle of the grill).
Similar hood style.
Lower, flatter roof.
Same glass.
Chrysler, which is similar to Chrysalis is the parent company of Plymouth.

Differences:
Different bumper.
Smaller headlights.
Different rear bumper. (I remember seeing a early picture of the Highwayman that had a similar rear bumper).

After doing the comparisons, I have come to the conclusion that the Highwayman is not a 1957 Chevrolet, but is infact a 1959 Plymouth.

While I'm sure the Fallout devs (Devs wrote it, right? I can't remember) that wrote the Fallout bible are more privy to the highwayman than I am (Seeing as they made it and all), I stand by my position. They must've made an error while writing the bible.

Thanks for your time.

It's just one guy who wrote most of the Fallout Bible. Though there's been a bunch of input from other devs and fans since. I'm guessing it's more a case of the FO Bible guy (at least the person who wrote that section) not knowing the difference between the cars.

Or the FO Bible writer only knew about that particular make and model, basing the Highwayman off it, and didn't realize there's another car that looks more like the Highwayman.

Ford Sucka

The Highwayman looks like a Chevy but Ford built a concept car called the Nucleon. The passenger compartment was positioned over the front axles and the reactor was all the way in the back as to avoid rad poisoning.
Pretty silly idea, but it was the atomic age.

i don't think you're wrong the car you found bear a more striking resemblance than the one stated in the fallout bible

I think that simply they took the disinguishing features of 50's era cars in general rather than copied anything. Big fins, sloped hood, round headlights, large grill and big chrome bumpers. Any car from the 50's really. you could find a car from every make that looks at least a little like the Highwayman.

Private Dobbs said:
I think that simply they took the disinguishing features of 50's era cars in general rather than copied anything. Big fins, sloped hood, round headlights, large grill and big chrome bumpers. Any car from the 50's really. you could find a car from every make that looks at least a little like the Highwayman.

Your post is perfect. No single car can be named the fallout car. Rather bits and parts were taken from several cars to give it that look.

I was searching all over for this and found you people already had a thread. :) Glad you determined it is not a real car, but thought I should contribute a couple more. First one is closest body style but the front is wrong.

1958 Chrysler 300 -
1958Chrysler300.jpg

1958 Plymouth Belvedere aka: "Christine" {photo says 57 but really 58} -
1957Plymouth.jpg

Great pics...

Anyone ever think about taking one of theser cars and fabricating a few changes and making a FO Highwayman out of it? I would so love to do that...

Back