Removing fast travel?

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 and New Vegas Modding' started by Nirok, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nirok

Nirok First time out of the vault

Nov 3, 2008
    Is there any way to remove fast travel? like in oblivion we had the fast travek ring mod, where you wear the ring you can fast travel and if you throw it away u cant fast travel anymore.

Is there any way of taking fast travel out of fallout 3?

Dont just say, "why dont you just not use it?"

As its just knowing that there is a fast travel option which kinda takes me outer the game, and i know on occasion i will think "oh i wil just use it as i cant be bothered to go all teh way back there, i want to be forced to not use it.

2. buckshot123

buckshot123 First time out of the vault

Oct 31, 2008
    hmhm, i think i agree with you, being forced to travel by foot would give more game immersion, but it might be too much aswell :)

classic fallout travel would be awesome though, with random encounters and all!

3. Eternal

Eternal Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2008
    I actually posted an idea to change the fast travel system in my review in general FO3 discussion. Here is a transcript:

If you could add random encounters to that as well it'd certainly be interesting and would get my vote, I suppose it could be done by rolling a die during set intervals of travel and having the game spawn enemies within certain range of you should you get the the die roll. Not sure how it would be programed though (I don't know much code at all, just simple script stuff)

4. Public

Public Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

May 18, 2006
    Removing fast travel? Walking by foot is annoying.

Talking about immersion, maybe you should also get killed when you character gets killed?

5. Nirok

Nov 3, 2008
    i dont really get what you are getting at public. Walking isnt annoying i havent once used fast travel, it enables you to explore the world properly, for me using fast travel would be annoying, as i feel i would miss so much, I never used it in oblivion and i liked that, if you need to go somewhere on a quest it actually feels like a quest as apposed to two disjointed areas of the game that i have suddenly appeared at.

It will also make the game last longer, its not every year your going to get a game as big and amazing as fallout 3.

If it was possible to get rid of it in oblivion im sure it would in fallout 3.

6. thefalloutfan

thefalloutfan Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 17, 2008
    It was possible to remove it for Oblivion Nirok.

7. Nirok

Nov 3, 2008
    yes i know it was possible to remove it in oblivion, i did say that in my first post, althouh maybe it wasnt clear.

8. Zumbs

Zumbs Lurking Swamp Thing

Oct 11, 2008
    A good place to start might be to look at how it was done in Oblivion (as far as I remember, there were multiple mods that did this). It is likely to be similar for Fallout 3.

Depending on what you find, you can probably accomplish it with the reworked BSA extractors and/or TESsnip.

9. Recusant Cataphract

Recusant Cataphract First time out of the vault

Nov 4, 2008
    I wouldn't want to remove fast travel since, as some folks here have mentioned, the original Fallout games had its forerunner, the implied travel, and it's just so gosh-darned convenient. Now that said, a feature of Oblivion's fast travel that shouldn't have been removed was the passage of time. Anyone else notice that the moment you leave one location is pretty much the moment you arrive at your destination? Since you're not laboring under a time limit for the main quest like the original Fallout games, it's not really a big deal if you just hang out and waste time shooting up with Ted Strayer, but wouldn't it be better for all of our immersions if fast travel was consistent with the passage of time? I think that would be a pretty easy mod to make since, chances are, it's already a part of the engine and one of the programmers just decided to switch a 1 to a 0 at the last minute before release because his wife was whining about how many days passed whenever she used fast travel in Oblivion and he didn't want to have to deal with his mother-in-law complaining about what an inconsiderate slob he was. Oh, and drawing the line for the path on your Pip-Boy's world map while the clock spins in super-fast motion to reflect how many in-game hours it would take to walk the distance you're skimming over would be groovy.

10. banshee911

banshee911 First time out of the vault

Sep 24, 2008
    There are commands called enablefast and enablefasttravel... actually one may be a variable or they may be the same. Try those in console, and if it says it needs an integer flag add a 0 after it.

11. slxiii

slxiii First time out of the vault

Nov 3, 2008
    time does pass in fast travel actually

go to rivet city and hit "T" to check the time, then travel to Megaton, hit "T" again... 2 hours has passed
    if you run that distance it takes about the same amount of time

12. Recusant Cataphract

Recusant Cataphract First time out of the vault

Nov 4, 2008
    Curses! Foiled again.

13. slxiii

slxiii First time out of the vault

Nov 3, 2008
    you cant really tell if its a short distance

its alot easier to tell near dusk/dawn too

14. Vivimancer

Vivimancer First time out of the vault

Nov 5, 2008
    I'd love this mod, but I don't really need it either. I've yet to use fast travel in FO3 - I just ignore my option to use it. Never used it in Oblivion or Morrowind either... just too much fun hoofing it from place to place.

Never know what you're going to find! ;)

15. bhlaab

bhlaab Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Oct 30, 2008
    i would love this