robots, how do they work, and main differences from our timeline.

Martin

It Wandered In From the Wastes
question stands. i know that transistors were invented very lately in fallout timeline, and vacuum tubes were used instead. but how robots work really? with today processing power we just got proper combat robots (russia) and even field tested them. any ideas?

The brain bots specifically use brains as the cpu, but the process of extracting the brain wipes the personality from it. So it's not good for much else.

The Think Tank seems to have gotten around this, albeit, only partially, since the process of being a brain in a jar seems to unhinge them just a tad. They have a vague sense of self and of what they were like as humans (it's holding up a handful of erect penises!). Memories are incomplete and easy to mess with by messing with their onboard clocks and maps.
The body specifically plays an instrumental role in NV canon in the formation of personality and a person is just fine even if you just replace the brain with an electrode or some other mechanical substitute. That's really the humdinger. The brain isn't everything in NV. Fallout Science!
Obviously a lot of that Old World Blues stuff is pretty silly though, so take it with a grain of salt.

House specifically kept his body intact because the brain-in-the-jar wasn't a perfect solution for immortality.

I think Mister Handy's are supposed to be much less sophisticated, but they honestly never give you that impression in NV and robots like ED-E have full on AI's and vague glimmerings of personality.

The brain bots specifically use brains as the cpu, but the process of extracting the brain wipes the personality from it. So it's not good for much else.

The Think Tank seems to have gotten around this, albeit, only partially, since the process of being a brain in a jar seems to unhinge them just a tad. They have a vague sense of self and of what they were like as humans (it's holding up a handful of erect penises!). Memories are incomplete and easy to mess with by messing with their onboard clocks and maps.
The body specifically plays an instrumental role in NV canon in the formation of personality and a person is just fine even if you just replace the brain with an electrode or some other mechanical substitute. That's really the humdinger. The brain isn't everything in NV. Fallout Science!
Obviously a lot of that Old World Blues stuff is pretty silly though, so take it with a grain of salt.

House specifically kept his body intact because the brain-in-the-jar wasn't a perfect solution for immortality.

I think Mister Handy's are supposed to be much less sophisticated, but they honestly never give you that impression in NV and robots like ED-E have full on AI's and vague glimmerings of personality.
could be some process with extraction of brain from body that damaged the brain in certain way? because lotta hormones influencing our personality is produces in glands all around our body?

and about metal robots? any theory? maybe with fusion cells robots can use lotta more power than today ones and somehow improved their abilities?

Mr Handy robots use some kind of fuel that comes in a cylinder, according to Fallout 4, though none of them ever actually seem to require it in the game.

could be some process with extraction of brain from body that damaged the brain in certain way? because lotta hormones influencing our personality is produces in glands all around our body?

and about metal robots? any theory? maybe with fusion cells robots can use lotta more power than today ones and somehow improved their abilities?

I don't think it's damage. The implication is that yeah, the body is a necessary part of the biological computation that makes a person a person. So like, hormones and stuff.

Personally, I always chalked the robots and computers up to SCIENCE! Computers in Fallout, like the computers in the original Star Trek, are far more capable than their real-life equivalents could possibly be. It's just one of those things you're not supposed to think about too much. I suppose if you wanted a hard science reason for it, you could say that vacuum tubes and mechanical relays experienced a miniaturization evolution like solid state electronics did.

Personally, I always chalked the robots and computers up to SCIENCE! Computers in Fallout, like the computers in the original Star Trek, are far more capable than their real-life equivalents could possibly be. It's just one of those things you're not supposed to think about too much. I suppose if you wanted a hard science reason for it, you could say that vacuum tubes and mechanical relays experienced a miniaturization evolution like solid state electronics did.
well. nowadays, vacuum tubes really undergone miniaturization. read about it last week when i was looking into the matter. some article about how they could be used in space because they are more resistant to radiation than what we use now. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...istor-that-could-one-day-replace-silicon-fets there. vacuum transistor. and found out another interesting thing. it seems that vacuum tubes can last thousands of years. given that they are supplied power 24/7.

There are also the ZAX supercomputers, like the one that supplies power to The Glow, years after the war. It's never really made sense in my opinion, probably best not to think about it honestly lol.

well. nowadays, vacuum tubes really undergone miniaturization. read about it last week when i was looking into the matter. some article about how they could be used in space because they are more resistant to radiation than what we use now. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...istor-that-could-one-day-replace-silicon-fets there. vacuum transistor. and found out another interesting thing. it seems that vacuum tubes can last thousands of years. given that they are supplied power 24/7.

COOL, we could home upgrade our PCs and video game consoles by just opening a hinged compartment and popping new tubes into plug outlets one day!

Back