Small CRTs are best for Fallout/Fallout 2?

FarGo Traders

First time out of the vault
Every once in a while I dust off my Fallout 1 and 2 CDs and play through.

I've noticed that the two games only really look good on a 14-inch CRT. Even on my 15-inch Macbook Pro's display, the textures look a bit rough. They look horrible on a modern 20+ inch LCD, for example.

But pull out an old school little CRT (no bigger than 15 inch), and the games really shine.

Anyone else notice this?

Heh, I just re-installed FO1 and FO2 last night and patched them both with the hi-res patches, and they look friggin sweet on my 50" Sony HDTV in 1152x648. I love the increased veiwing area and how sharp everything looks.

it's not about how many inches your TFT/LCD screen is, but about the native resolution.

FO is an old game, with low resolution, so your screen will try to 'blow it up' and scale. in doing so, it fucks up detail and stuff becomes grainy.

CRTs dont work the same way, but the game will still look bad if you play on a 22" CRT.

In hopes of not having to use a little CRT to make Fallout look as good as possible, I installed the hi-res patches, for FO1 and FO2.

It didn't work with FO1 (US ver. 1.1) for some reason, although I tweaked the .ini file correctly.

It worked great with FO2, though. Details are sharp, everything looks smooth. Maybe it's just because the view is so large now, but everything seems smaller. I assume it's just an illusion because there is so much more to see thanks to the patch.

My display's res is 1920x1200. This is a widescreen res. Would it be best to use a normal aspect resolution, or a widescreen resolution? I don't want things to look stretched (even if only by a bit.)

Thanks for the replies thus far.

If you have a small UMPC like a 10" MSI Wind or especially an EEEPC 1000, that is one way to get it looking good in its native resolution on an LCD screen.

The hi res patches make everything far too tiny. I think the game's "3d models into 2d sprites" look makes the fuzziness from LCD scaling more bearable.

It's something that's less noticable on 2d games regardless so long as you don't break pixel ratio

Back