So why does everyone hate Fallout Tactics?

Tubgirl Universe Canon

First time out of the vault
I own it and have played it for like maybe 20 minutes. It's really hard to get into when I don't have any nostalgia like fo1 and fo2. But everyone seems to HATE IT.

Just so I don't need to waste my time. Why does everyone seem to hate it and if you did happen to like it, I guess I'd like to hear that too.

Me and Toront doesn't hate it.

I like the art style and the gist of the gameplay, although it is so fucking excessively difficult as you get on in the game that you need to save scum like crazy.

Pro:
  • Best combat of any Fallout game——if you first change the default combat to turn based, away from that 'continuous turn' nonsense.

Cons:
  • Not Fallout 3 (...it got flak for that at the time.)
  • Not an open world; it's mission based.
  • Didn't seem to be much of an RPG to me.

I don't hate it. I did play it right after beating 1 and 2 and was pretty burnt out by the time I got around to it giving up after a couple hours of playtime. Something about the Super Mutant redesigns didn't sit well with me.

I like the art style and the gist of the gameplay, although it is so fucking excessively difficult as you get on in the game that you need to save scum like crazy.
Here I thought this was just me being shit at videogames. Yeah I don't play Fallout games to die over and over which is basically what finished my first playthrough.

People hate it because when F1/2 players got in this game, they got a beating~ black and blue all over.

Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel is the best turnbased tactic game back in its days. People completing JA2 want to play the next game, it's FTBOS for them. Then it's several years later until Silent Storms appear.

Fallout 1/2 players is RP gamers, but Fallout Tactics aim at tactic gamers, not easymode RP gamers.

Thus they all become total noob in this game and they hate it~

Me three Mr. Fish I like it too! It's even to the point where I do an annual celebration on Instagram for the anniversary of the game's release, which is around March. (March 15th, 2001 specifically)

:-) 8-)

Tactics is a decent JA2 like tactics game. Ppl don't usually hate it, the hate talk is either a myth or it's just the ppl who wanted a fallout 3 who hate it and were the loud majority. I think tactics would gain some good bit of attention within the current turn based gaming communities if it had a good modding community and or there were more information regarding the available mods. From a quick search one would assume the biggest mods for tactics are Redux and Equilibrium, the later being an addon for the former. Which is prbly not the whole picture since if you have access to @_Pyran_ 's fallout repo you will know there were quite a few mods made for tactics which one can't easily find with quick searches.

... the hate talk is either a myth or it's just the ppl who wanted a fallout 3 who hate it and were the loud majority....

I remember back in the day a lot of talks with people frothing in the mouth talking about it~ Like there's something personal about Tactics~

I honestly think most of the “hatred” comes from people that conflate it with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. The similar names don’t help. Sure, there are the true-old-school-hardcore-rpgers that really hated it, but they’re all dead now. I guess I probably would’ve been one of them if I was older.

Nah, the unmentionable barely got mentioned because we just not interested in that game after the release day~ It is Tactics that make people frothing "pink deathclaw" "feather deathclaw" etc...

I honestly think most of the “hatred” comes from people that conflate it with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. The similar names don’t help. Sure, there are the true-old-school-hardcore-rpgers that really hated it, but they’re all dead now. I guess I probably would’ve been one of them if I was older.
Speaking of Fallout Tactics being mistaken for Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, here's some fan art/a meme that shows people who know better than to mistake the two games for each other:

Lumii_20230717_051026653.jpg

Pretty much right? ;)

Also for those who are wondering, this was originally created by someone named Captain Enclave. I got this pic from their YouTube Channel Community Page, here's a link to their channel:
https://youtube.com/@CaptainEnclave

8-)

Back