Time to bump up the difficulty, I guess

Kyrgsh

First time out of the vault
So I emerged from the Metro Central station and was attacked by four (4) super mutants, on "Normal" difficulty. Armed only with my trusty Chinese assault rifle, I took them all out needing but a single Stimpack to top myself off. In retrospect, I imagine if I hadn't just stood in the escalatorway, I might not have needed that expenditure of resources.

That armored Vault 101 suit sure does its job, eh? Oops, almost forgot to include the +1 DR each from the tinted glasses and the sheriff's hat. I suppose it's time to visit the "Very Hard" difficulty setting. Seriously, is "Normal" supposed to be so, well, _easy_?

normal mutants are weak
brutes and masters are tougher, but still by not much

I think overall the combat is easy, you can die only from explosives (rl or car explosion nearby - deadly)

The Talon Company Mercs hurt, too, assuming you ran into them like I did coming out of Super Duper Mart at level 3.

Mapex said:
The Talon Company Mercs hurt, too, assuming you ran into them like I did coming out of Super Duper Mart at level 3.
Talon mercs scale to your level too. When they attacked you at level 2, I'd be surprised if any of them was packing anything more than a police baton.

I'm getting close to getting serious, and putting the difficulty up and heading after the main quest. I've got a good feel for the combat system and lockpick and science, and I'd like to have a real tough challenge when I go through the main storyline.

Putting difficulty up doesn't help at all, it only increases the DMG resstances and hp of the enemies. But thats rather pointless as the AI still is no match and you can defeat them without problems. You will just lack ammo all the time, no matter how good you are (because a raider can take 20 bullets to the head or so, check out yt).

I'd recommende the "no gode-mode vats" mod and forcing yourself not to exploit the pathetic ai (which is however very difficult)

Roflcore
true about ammo-soaking foes on high difficulty

"no gode-mode vats" mod - link?

btw the biggest buil-in cheat is not VATS, its time-freezing pipboy which you can abuse to heal yourself right in the middle of a battle

Roflcore said:
Putting difficulty up doesn't help at all, it only increases the DMG resstances and hp of the enemies. But thats rather pointless as the AI still is no match and you can defeat them without problems. You will just lack ammo all the time, no matter how good you are (because a raider can take 20 bullets to the head or so, check out yt).

Player's Damage - Enemy's Damage

Very Easy : 200% - 50%

Easy : 150% - 75%

Normal : 100% - 100%

Hard : 75% - 150%

Very Hard : 50% - 200%

You get bonus EXP for difficulties above normal, but you don't get less exp than the base exp amount, for playing Easy Mode.

And yeah, I didn't even put any weapon skills into my character last night and no trouble at all clearing a couple dungeons at level 2-5.. I think I'll stick to V. Hard although the bonus EXP for the difficulty setting, is not really too substantial..

Back