Umm... what just happened? (graphics question)

Speebs

First time out of the vault
So I have been playing Fallout 3 for a few days with no problems. I have an 8600GTS video card which performs great for most games, using 175.16 Forceware drivers.

This morning I decided it couldn't hurt to upgrade my video drivers, so I moved up to the latest (178.24). At that point, I noticed something weird, which I can't really describe but will post screenshots below (sorry for the size- I cropped but didn't want to resize them to keep the problem visible).

OK, so I roll back to the previous drivers, and the problem is still there. I do a system restore back to yesterday, and the problem is still there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Here are the screenshots. The issue is especially noticeable on the fenced area on the left, the rocketship gas station thing, and the honeycomb entrance near the player. It's also there in a little bit of a dust storm in the second screnshot to the right of the robot.

1280x1024, anti-aliasing disabled:
F3_1280x1024_AA0.jpg

1280x1024, anti-aliasing at 2X:
F3_1280x1024_AA2.jpg

1280x1024, anti-aliasing at 8X:
F3_1280x1024_AA8.jpg

I happened to find a post on this on the Bethesda board. Apparently if you UNCHECK "Transparency Multisampling" in the launcher, that fixes the issue. How obvious.

Does anyone have a descrption of what all of the Launcher options actually do?

Back