Unpopular Opinion on Fallout 4 & 76's Power Armor

Good opinion or nah?

• Total voters

ToothlessGamer36

Dear old friends, remember Navarro
I'm not gonna lie, I prefer Fallout 4 & 76's power armor mechanic more than new Vegas, 3, or even the classics for that matter. Even though it is kinda a pain in the ass in the early game to obtain fusion cores, I'm ok with that because of the INSANE armor boost you get compared to 3 and NV. Not only that, I will go an extra step and say that the power armor looks better in those games too. It's power armor, of course it's supposed to be huge and Iron Man like and make your character bigger, but with NV and 3 it's kinda just like, meh. I like 3 and NV way way more than 4 and 76 but wish they had that a mechanic like that (ignoring the time the games came out). What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I think it’s a step in the right direction, but not perfect. Mechanics-wise I prefer the way it was in New Vegas and the classics where it was just equipable armor instead of a giant lumbering anchor wherever I left it if I’m not wearing it. The fusion cores aspect to the Power Armor is kind of a non-issue since you find so much of them just lying around in Fallout 4 which makes me wonder what the point of the mechanic was. And as someone else pointed out recently, I don’t like how weapons and armor in Fallout 4 are non-degradable yet Power Armor pieces are fragile and in constant need of upkeeping. It makes the Power Armor in contrast feel cheap and not worth it, I’d rather have a good combat armor at that point.

As for the look of the armor, I’m on the fence. I think the armor looking taller and a bit bulkier is fine, but I don’t like how it makes the wearer walk like a Sasquatch with scoliosis. I much prefer the classics where the Power Armor makes the wearer stand up straight and walk like a mean motherfucker. And I don’t necessarily agree with the popular take that Fallout 4’s design is more accurate to the classics, I think the accurate design would be somewhere in the middle between FNV’s and FO4’s design.

IMG_1460.jpeg

This mod for New Vegas has my personal favorite looking Power Armor design which I think is a much better adaption of the classic design.

IMG_1462.jpeg

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from. I also don't really like that no weapons degrade in 4, however I think there had to be the high rate of your power armor wearing simply because of the high defense it grants you. As for the looks I agree that NV and 3 are more loyal to the classic fallout games, but I think from looks alone I think some pieces of armor (T-50) might be just ever so slightly more accurate without mods.

all of that being said...
ezgif-6-4793bd5e73.png

the power armor sets definitely have scoliosis ;)

Last edited:
I do like the PA system in Fallout 4, but I think the game made power armors and fusion cores way too ubiquitous. And while it has a big armor boost, it's not like the game really requires it.
Personally, I would have made power armors more rare and require more work to use, and generally made the system a bit more involved. First of all, different frame types. One for T45/60, one for T51, and one for APA. T45 frames require energy cells and need to be recharged constantly, but can be relatively easy put in working order. They accept T45 and T60 pieces and can be improved with a T51 style reactor. T51 frames use an internal reactor and need to be refuelled first. They can be jerry rigged to power them with energy cells for the ride home, but their true potential comes with the reactor. Which requires some work to get running. T60 armor is BOS retrofit/upgrade of T45 plates and reactors on T45 frames. APA is new and doesn't need any refueling and is generally the best.

I do like the PA system in Fallout 4, but I think the game made power armors and fusion cores way too ubiquitous. And while it has a big armor boost, it's not like the game really requires it.
Personally, I would have made power armors more rare and require more work to use, and generally made the system a bit more involved. First of all, different frame types. One for T45/60, one for T51, and one for APA. T45 frames require energy cells and need to be recharged constantly, but can be relatively easy put in working order. They accept T45 and T60 pieces and can be improved with a T51 style reactor. T51 frames use an internal reactor and need to be refuelled first. They can be jerry rigged to power them with energy cells for the ride home, but their true potential comes with the reactor. Which requires some work to get running. T60 armor is BOS retrofit/upgrade of T45 plates and reactors on T45 frames. APA is new and doesn't need any refueling and is generally the best.

The problem with that mechanic is, while good on paper, it’ll be a mess to implement in the game. It would require a lot of micomanaging and in many ways, hinder the experience meaning it stops becoming as fun.

It would work better in a game like Fallout tactics where that kind of micromanaging adds to the game.
But otherwise, the whole thing would have been a mess.

The problem with that mechanic is, while good on paper, it’ll be a mess to implement in the game. It would require a lot of micomanaging and in many ways, hinder the experience meaning it stops becoming as fun.

It would work better in a game like Fallout tactics where that kind of micromanaging adds to the game.
It'd require a bunch of balancing, sure. But acquiring power armor in Fallout 1 wasn't straight forward either, and this would make it a mid to late game armor, especially T51. It'd be rare and repairing one would be but one option to acquire it.
Could even be a quest for either of the main factions, let's say a stash of rather pristine T51 suits are located in the Glowing Sea and they have to be secured and restored, which would give the faction that gets them a big advantage.

I could see a visually older looking Fallout game with various Power Armors that utilize his idea. Not so much in a newer game, if only because as games get prettier and the world opens up, mechanics begin to suffer, at least for Bethesda Fallout titles.

I wish t60 was a post war armor developed by the bos to upgrade t45 with t51 tech. Man that shit is so dumb that it was developed pre war

I wish t60 was a post war armor developed by the bos to upgrade t45 with t51 tech. Man that shit is so dumb that it was developed pre war
I gotta agree with you there guys. adding on I didn’t like the fusion core mechanic either cause the power core is supposed to last practically forever but I understand due to balancing.
gun degradation wasn’t that big of a deal it could be annoying when you wouldn’t find other parts but still either or would’ve been fine with it.

While power armor in Fallout 4 looks cool, it's just annoying to use. Forget about fusion cores, the need to repair it all the god damn time is so annoying and kills the feeling of a walking tank.

It drains fusion core. toooooo fast. this contradicts the lore regarding to fusion cores can still be usable even 21 decades later.
but at least this is what Power Armor should be. treated as a kind of vehicle.

In next game, actual vehicles should return as usable objects.
What I really hate is mismatched weapons label and even munitions these guns use. like Combat Rifle using .45 ACP and even accepts .38 Special modifications, while its shape is very clear that it uses bottlenecked rifle rounds like 7.62 mm Nato or 5.56 mm (no modifications available). also 'Assault Rifle' is mis labled, and ill-designed.

Back