Vault 13 Gruthar bug.

GruppeSechs

First time out of the vault
Well, uh, there's an awful lot of pages to scan through to find a potential thread for this bug, so if there IS one, my bad!

Anyway, I'm at Vault 13 in Fallout 2. I went there first without the voice chipset thingy, and then went to New Reno to grab it. Before I left Vault 13 though, I noticed when I tried to talk to Gruthar he gave me his hostile line, "Die, treacherous human," before starting combat and attacking me. I hoped reloading the game and ignoring him until I got the chipset to fix the computer would counteract the bug, but it didn't.

I did a lot of saving and loading in the vault when I was messing around with Matt and the various rude responses to people/deathclaws. I also had Vic, Lenny, Sulik, and Cassidy waiting for me on the first floor with Gruthar, if that could have done anything. I also saved the game and agreed to help Matt escape just for kicks before reloading. I read that Matt dying can bug out Vault 13 or something, but could it make Gruthar bug out like he did? Matt probably died at least 3 times while I was satisfying my curiosity about that particular "quest" before reloading the game to decline his request for help.

-EDIT- 'Kay, found the search button (har har, newb) and read up on some other threads. I think I tried to steal from Gruthar when I first saw him (such a bad habit, especially in large cities). I thought that was only a prepatch bug, though. Anyway, is there a way I can remove the Vault 13 save file from my FO2 folder to fix the problem? I tried just taking it out, but the game crashed when I loaded that save slot. I guess I could just skip talking to Gruthar after fixing the computer, but..but....the EXP! And...being Idolized with Vault 13! And the good Vault 13 ending or...something? That's a lot to skip.

I'm pretty sure you could use the Fallout 2 Cracker to unset the V13 hostility variable. That wouldn't do anything about Gruthar personally, which could be a problem, but if so, you could possibly reset the whole map by loading your game, then deleting the v13.sav file before entering the vault.

Hey there. Thanks for the tip, but I managed to fix it myself. Forgot to delete my post. Anyway, if anyone having a similar problem with the game is curious how I did it, I just reloaded an old save file and ran my ass down to Vault 13, exited the game, then tossed that VAULT13.sav file into my bugged save game slot to replace the other one. 'Course, there's probably easier ways, like what Per suggested, but if that doesn't work you can try this.

Back