Viva New Vegas - Help thread

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
Viva New Vegas describes itself as a "modular vanilla-plus modding guide for Fallout New Vegas". And it seams to be the recommended way to play the game.

My next game to play is New Vegas however when I sit down to configure Viva New Vegas I'm always tired after a long day of work or taking care of the kids, so my brain doesn't work that well. I'm stuck at one of the steps and would like to ask for some advice.

I've installed all the bug fixes at this page and at the bottom the author links to a performance guide. However since I'm so tired I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do there.

• What should I do about MPO's?
  • DXVK?
  • FalloutCustom.ini is mentioned but I can't find it. Where is it?
I'm installing Fallout New Vegas on a 2020 ASUS laptop with a GeForce RTX 2070. About DXVK mentioned above it says that Nvidia GPU laptops must use the DXGI interop. But I'm to tired or stupid to understand what I should do.

If anyone is familiar with this and could tell me what steps I should take when configuring DXVK and the rest on a laptop with a GeForce RTX 2070 then I'm very grateful!

i used dxvk for GTA 4 in the past which is a notorious bad console port that stutters to this day. DXVK literally fixed all the performance issues. i don't remember need to configure anything in any way. just copied the files in the game directory and started the game.

Thanks! I just extraced DXVK into the New Vegas root folder and hope that works.

I don't understand this from the optimizations guide either when he writes:
https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/basefinish.html
New Vegas Tick Fix

Stutter Remover
New Vegas Tick Fix is a mod by karut that fixes and improves game's internal clocks and memory management, which dramatically reduces stutter. It also allows for playing above 60fps without breaking physics.
Additionally, it has some DirectX changes, which help with performance and greatly reduce memory usage.
Exactly what mod or file is he referring to above? If you click the one called NTVF New Vegas Tick Fix there's loads of files, which is confusing me. I already have NTVF installed as that was part of the earlier guide. The there's this INI preset that also mentions "Tick fix". I don't know what I should do at this step.

There's something wrong.

On the last step it says that:

If you have not added any mods to the guide, Strip Lights Region Fix.esp should be the bottom mod in your load order (the Plugins tab in the right pane of MO2) after applying the load order and refreshing MO2. If not, you made a mistake during mod installation.

I have followed the guide and I have Street Light corrections.esp as my last mod. I haven't added anything apart from what's mentioned in the previous steps, including the Faster Main menu mod that was mentioned in the optimizations guide.

--

Will I ever be able to play this shit game when it's so god damn difficult to get it running?

e2: I tried to click that discord link but I don't understand how to ask support questions there. No New Vegas for me I guess.

Last edited:
that tick fix thing requires NVSE- new vegas script extender. Download NVSE first, install it, then downlod the tick fix and copy it where NVSE is and overwrite if asked. I never needed shit like thise for NW. Exept the 4gb patch for memory because I had a lot of demanding mods.

NVSE is part of Viva New Vegas so it's already installed early in the guide before the optimization step.

I will probably have to redo everything from the beginning because the load order didn't end up as is should. But I'm very annoyed as it took 1-2 hours to install the game plus all the mods.

i don't mean to knock down this "viva new vegas" but it seems to me like a convoluted way to install a bunch of mods you can probably find on the nexus anyway.

There is Wabbajack version of it that does it for you, but it installs all the mods.

I used it myself and then deleted all the mods I didn't like. I think its a good starting point, but not a holy grail of all modlists.

i don't mean to knock down this "viva new vegas" but it seems to me like a convoluted way to install a bunch of mods you can probably find on the nexus anyway.
It's good for me because I don't really have the time to browse for mods, I don't even know where to begin. The biggest difficulty for me would be to sort out conflicts between mods.

There is Wabbajack version of it that does it for you, but it installs all the mods.
I think I will go for that because I'm just tired of this whole mod install process.

Why aren't all the stability and fix mods merged into one mega-mod instead of having several bug fixing mods and several stability issues-mods?

What @raynor009 said. Not all the mods in the mod guide are what I would use and you have to deal with compatibility, dependencies, etc.

At least when you follow a guide you can pick and choose, with Wabbajack less so.

I got the answer that:

street light corrections is no longer in the guide

it's included in the newest YUP

remove the mod

How come it was installed then?

I have uninstalled F:NV and all the mod shit that the Viva New Vegas guide had me install. I intend to spend the next two hours reinstalling everything. Let's see if it works this time.

I re-did everything from the beginning and got answers to all my questions on Discord. They are very quick to reply.

Back